Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First news of Parenthood

Options
  • 06-12-2005 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

How did you feel when you first found out that you were going to be a mother or a father? Just curious!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Over the moon! On all four occasions! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

like the richest person in the world:)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

5 or 10 minutes being gobsmacked looking at the two pink lines!!!

then 10 minutes of what school it would go to and what room we would put it in, what college we would send it etc

then 1 minute to realise that you can't tell anyone for ages and it would be easier to put it to the back of our minds for a few weeks. Whats on the telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

davidoco wrote:
    then 1 minute to realise that you can't tell anyone for ages and it would be easier to put it to the back of our minds for a few weeks. Whats on the telly?

I don't know, people I've known have been mixed on this. Some tell early, some wait till about week 12 or later. Some just wait for the bump to show!

*shrugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

We were both delighted having gone through the traumas of infertility for about 5 years. It was our first IVF treatment, and we got a great result.

As a general rule, don't go blabbing to anyone until you have to. 25% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage within the first 12 weeks.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote:
    As a general rule, don't go blabbing to anyone until you have to. 25% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage within the first 12 weeks.

From what I've read it's closer to 12-15% and it drastically changes according to age. If you're under 30 it's less. If you're over 40 it can be near the figure you give.

Though this is for confirmed pregnancies, a staggering number miscarry before the mother knows she's pregnant. 76% is a figure I've heard bandied about. But apparently it's almost unnoticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hillybilly

This one is easy! I was one day late and decided to use the pregnancy test as it was nearly out of date! (I had thought I was pregnant a couple of years earlier and it was the second test in the kit) I nearly dropped, we weren't really trying but we were so thrilled we both cried.

Other than the day she was born I think it was the best of moment of my life. I agree that waiting to tell everyone is the HARDEST thing. We wanted to shout it from the roof tops and we eventually did!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

First time around nearly collapsed as unplanned and second time around shocked as planned and took a while to make an appearance.
    Nothing can prepare you for the positive pregnancy test!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Former husband on seeing blue mark on test stick..."if it's blue, does that mean its a boy?"

My favourite was my brother - when #4 was announced, to my father's (only slightly!) raised eyebrow responded - "it's OK, we found out what was causing it!".

Some time later when #5 made her presence felt, my father jokingly asked "but I thought you told me you'd found out what was causing it?", "Oh, I did" answered the brother, "but I haven't caught the b@stard yet!".

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

simu wrote:
    How did you feel when you first found out that you were going to be a mother or a father? Just curious!
    Realised I was probably going to have to get my wedding dress let out:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Kildrought wrote:
    Former husband on seeing blue mark on test stick..."if it's blue, does that mean its a boy?"

My favourite was my brother - when #4 was announced, to my father's (only slightly!) raised eyebrow responded - "it's OK, we found out what was causing it!".

Some time later when #5 made her presence felt, my father jokingly asked "but I thought you told me you'd found out what was causing it?", "Oh, I did" answered the brother, "but I haven't caught the b@stard yet!".

lol

i thought .. jesus you woke me up for this ... gimmie a kiss and ill go back to bed . then thought better sort out that house ... still doing that tho . never thought it was going to take 8+ months to find a nice house ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

omygodomygodomygodomygodomygod....to infinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Oh and congratulations to Nesf and Simu both :)

Thaedydal wrote:
    Oh and congratulations to Nesf and Simu both :)

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Might as well say how I felt then: Um, it was a "surprise", I was oscillating between super happy and super freaked out, had a brief "my-career-is-over-moment" but realised that was not true and now, I'm really glad it happened although I still worry something will go wrong but one has to be optimistic! Phew! It's weird how fast you get used to the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I was utterly, cripplingly terrified. I had only been going out with the bf for a relatively short amount of time, I didn't think I could cope as a mother, I thought my career would be over. My career actually did end there, as you can't really be a full-time professional chef with a baby. However, I now have my own business, making more than I would be if I were still a chef, with shorter hours, and a lovely family to come home to. My fiancé and child are without doubt the best thing to ever hapen to me.

A very gradual and gentle process of the news sinking in and becoming real tbh. There wasn't a huge rush where my mind immediately grasped and processed it. I've been happy about it, but tbh, i spent the first week afterwards walking around in a daze.

Feels like you've a different stake in life (to quote simu) tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I wasn't shocked, I sort of suspected it before I had any test confirming it.

Then... after the initial internal "WAAAAAARGH!" I was delighted. My baby is due in just over 3 weeks now \o/

Congrats simu and nesf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

When I found out I was ecstatic, then thought, i am never going to have any money ever again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Charis

First time I knew for sure, I was delighted because we were to the point of thinking we couldn't have kids. Lost the baby and then had a very bizarre month. After several positive home test and two negative tests at the doctors, an emergency scan confirmed I was pregnant again, a total miracle. I was ecstatic but a bit worried. This time I told parents and asked them to pray for the baby. All of us were highly confused by my pregnancy but my daughter was a healthy 9lb7oz and according to the scan a week late. Next time I was pregnant I was taken completely by suprise and I was not in good form. Once he was placed in my arms that all changed and I wouldn't trade him for the world!
    Congratulations and all the best. I am the type that waits til three months to tell people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Charis wrote:
    Congratulations and all the best. I am the type that waits til three months to tell people.

Same here - it's 3 months now!

Nice username, btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

we were shocked and excited at the same time...at first my partner was more nervous about the changes (to her body) that lay ahead...but as someone else said here, it's amazing how fast you adapt and get on with it..baby is due in 2 weeks time and looking back now I wouldn't have changed it for the world..(apart from some of the moods!). I feel I know the baby already from talking to him/her in utero..It never fails to amaze me when I ponder on the miracle of it all..can't wait to meet the lil fella/madam!..oh yeah, and by the way I'm ****tin it also...but excitement is takin over!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

My first thought:
    "I thought we were on the pill?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I was on the pill when I 'fell' pregnant with both of mine. :)

First hint was 3 mornings in a row while shuffling my tarot cards
    the empress card fell out. It was the run up to my final exams in college so
    I made damn sure that I took my pill everyday.
    My period was two days late which I put down to stress, the first bout of morning sickness was the day after my birthday and boy had I been drinking so
    I had put it down to that, but when it was 4 days late and I got sick the next morning for no apprent reason I knew that despite my precaustions fate had found me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Heh. Turns out my information was out of date.

Rule #1 boys: Never assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

When I found out I was ecstatic, then thought, i am never going to have any money ever again....

I sympathise in so many ways with this quote!

When it happened for the first time I was only 25 and didn´t know what to think of it at first but then I was over the moon and now, 13 years later, I have a healthy boy and I am grateful for that.

Second time around I was very happy and surprised because the chances of having a baby were pretty slim for my then wife. It was meant to be. I was there when my then wife delivered the baby and it is a healthy girl.

What more can you ask for in life (apart from a rise in wages)

Advertisement