Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get a 50" High Definition Plasma TV for under €4000

Options
  • 06-12-2005 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Does anyone know where can I get a 50" (or bigger :) ) High Definition Plasma TV for under €4000 in dublin?

Also, is there a difference between "High Definition" and "HD Ready"?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

sgske wrote:
    Does anyone know where can I get a 50" (or bigger :) ) High Definition Plasma TV for under €4000 in dublin?

Also, is there a difference between "High Definition" and "HD Ready"?

Thanks

I'm very open to correction here, but this is how I understand it:

There is a difference between "HD Compatible" and "HD Ready".
    HDTV uses up to 1080 (but generally around the 780 mark AFAIK) lines of resolution per frame. A HD Ready TV will be able to display this resolution.

A HD Compatible TV will be able to read a HD source, but convert it down to it's own resolution - possibly around the 480 mark, so it won't actually end up any better than a normal DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

HD ready mean it has a minimum of 720line and can accept HDCP (a form of copy protection) through either a HDMI or DVI port. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

HD compatable means it can accept HD signals. This could mean that as eoin said it accepts a 720/1080 signal but downscales it, or it could be that it doesn't meet the criteria set for a HD ready label.It will depend on the TV.

Have you looked in Harvey Normans or Peats? You should also look into importing from the UK or driving up north to buy one, prices can be substantialy cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kkennedy

I seen an LG 50" HD Ready in Currys, Enniskillen last week for £2999,
    just under €4500

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Advertisement