Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor old Gazza, things just go from bad to worse!

• 06-12-2005 5:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭

Gascoigne arrested over assault

Former England football star Paul Gascoigne has been arrested over an alleged assault outside a hotel.

Mr Gascoigne, 38, was arrested on Monday night outside the Hope Street Hotel in Liverpool.

Merseyside Police said a 38-year-old man was in custody in the city and would be interviewed later.

In October, the former Newcastle, Spurs and Rangers player returned to football as non-league Kettering Town's manager, but was sacked on Monday.

Mr Gascoigne was in Liverpool to speak at a fund-raising event for a drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre.

It is not clear if he was staying at the Hope Street Hotel, which styles itself as Liverpool's first boutique hotel.

Earlier on Monday, Kettering Town chairman Imraan Ladak fired Mr Gascoigne after just 39 days in charge at the Nationwide Conference North side, over claims about his conduct.

Mr Gascoigne claimed he had been "stitched up".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4501974.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

gazzas going the same way as poor george best imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Monday wasnt a good day for gazza!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

It's a sorry sight to see really.

I don't think he has the inner strength to deal with his problems himself, and he doesn't appear to have the guidance and support of good friends either to try and help him.

I bet he wishes he could turn back the clock to that 1991 cup final against Forest now, when he went mental with that lunge at Gary Charles.

So do I for that matter

Culchie - Lifetime Forest Fan :(

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Bit sad really, someone needs to take him aside and have a few words with him maybe someone like Tony Adams, someone who has beaten addiction and is now reaping the rewards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

But but... he's a genius!!

Total moron in my opinion. Doesn't have the brains to see what he's doing.

Tony Adams was intelligent. George Best was deeply troubled. Gascoigne is just a retard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

A moron he is....if he concentrated on his football he could still be playing at the top level...just look at Romário who's 39 and still at the top!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ah come on now... romario is playing in brazil. he was once one of teh best in the world. you cant compare him with gascoigne.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

evad_lhorg wrote:
    ah come on now... romario is playing in brazil. he was once one of teh best in the world. you cant compare him with gascoigne.

I think the point trying to be made is that if a footballer looks after their body(and mind) that they can play to a later age, like Romario and Sheringham. Two pros who looked after themselves and get themselves to themselves and are still playing at the top level today, and playing damn well too. I think thats the comparison trying to be made both are 39, one is still a top footballer the other sadly is falling further and further into the realms of despair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

evad_lhorg wrote:
    I'm not comparing them i'm merely stating if Paul Gascoigne kept his head together like Romário is doing he'd still be playing top level football!

I didn't say he's as good as Romário!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

In a statement, Gascoigne said: “In the past 24 hours there have been allegations that I was unfit to carry out my managerial duties at Kettering Town Football Club.

“It has been said that this was because I was under the influence of alcohol.

“During my time I was never drunk before, during or after a match, nor at a training session.

“I did, however, have a double brandy before the match on the day after my friend George Best passed away, and after the defeat last Saturday I had a glass of wine with Paul Davis.

“On neither occasion did this affect my ability to manage the team. I was fully committed to Kettering for the brief period that I was in charge, and any allegations to the contrary are entirely without foundation.

“I also thoroughly enjoyed working with a great bunch of lads, and I wish them every success under Kevin Wilson.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Steve_o wrote:
    A moron he is....if he concentrated on his football he could still be playing at the top level...just look at Romário who's 39 and still at the top!!
    In another thread you called George Best a "legend", you also suggested that perhaps they should retire the No.7 at Man U for a season in his honour.

Yet Gascoigne is a "moron", a man who played "at the top level" for almost 15years. Didn't Best give up football at United when he was 24?

I'm not saying the two are comparable talent wise, but I fail to see how Gazza, who to be fair was a stunning player in his own right, and who played Premier League football until a few months before his 32 birthday, is a "moron" and Best can be classed as a "legend", when the two were faced with similar problems, yet Gazza stuck them out, and played out a normal career.
    dublindude wrote:
    But but... he's a genius!!

Total moron in my opinion. Doesn't have the brains to see what he's doing.

Tony Adams was intelligent. George Best was deeply troubled. Gascoigne is just a retard.
    Again I've seen you mourn and glorify Best. Him and Gazza are no different. Only Gazza was able to play through his addiction until his mid-30s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I judge a footballer by his footballing skills and nothing else. Don't really care what they do off the pitch (within reason) to be honest. Gazza was a world class footballer who would sold many season tickets in his own right because people wanted to see him play. Granted he has had his problems but even in the "old days" he was a character in the game when there was'nt many. He could of gone on to better things if he had taken care of himself but I'd remember him as a quality footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

In another thread you called George Best a "legend", you also suggested that perhaps they should retire the No.7 at Man U for a season in his honour.

Yet Gascoigne is a "moron", a man who played "at the top level" for almost 15years. Didn't Best give up football at United when he was 24?

I'm not saying the two are comparable talent wise, but I fail to see how Gazza, who to be fair was a stunning player in his own right, and who played Premier League football until a few months before his 32 birthday, is a "moron" and Best can be classed as a "legend", when the two were faced with similar problems, yet Gazza stuck them out, and played out a normal career.

Again I've seen you mourn and glorify Best. Him and Gazza are no different. Only Gazza was able to play through his addiction until his mid-30s.

Top notch stuff Jivin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Essentially agree with everything you say. Gazza is not a moron. Unfortunately he has serious personal issues.
    I have a slight issue with you insinuating that Gazza was the better professional. Just for the record Best left United at 27 after 10 years of mesmerising brilliance, disillusioned at the crumbling team around him and also obviously because of mounting personal problems. He played on professionally also into his mid 30's. He won 2 league titles and the European cup. In 1968 he was voted the European Footballer of the Year.
    Gazza was also hugely talented but after leaving Spurs at 24 he failed at Lazio and then took progressive steps down in terms of quality of club, just like Best. He won the FA Cup with Spurs and his other successes were with Rangers in what was a cakewalk at the time, where he won the domestic treble I think.
    Basically what I'm trying to say is they both played through their addictions through to their mid 30's, so Gazza is no better or worse than Best in this respect.

Advertisement