Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this hardware work for NTL + Blueface?

• 06-12-2005 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Folks,

I switched from Clicksilver to NTL last week and I am trying to use my old Netgear DG834G (wireless adsl router) as a wireless access point. I haven't been able to get it working but I am still reading up on it. I've searched quite a bit on google and found many queries but no answers.

My question is, will the Netgear TA612V work with the DG834G and cable modem from NTL? I understand that I need to have the cable modem plugged into the TA612V (to avail of qos) and hang my DG834G off that to act as a wireless access point.

I got some advise on how to configure the DG834G as a wireless access point but it invoves hard coding the ip address of the cable modem which, I believe, changes every time the cable modem is restarted.

Should I be looking at an alternative hardware solution?

Thanks in advance,

Dopey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

I am far from an expert on this but if you disable DCHP on the DG834G and give it a fixed ip in the range the TA612V uses (192.168.61.x), then connect the cable modem to the WAN port on the TA612V, then connact the LAN port to a LAN port on the DG834G it should work. You will be basically using the DG834G as a switch/wireless access point and bypassing the firewall/ADSL modem.

Advertisement