Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband charges

• 06-12-2005 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

My local area has just had a company come in and offer wireless broadband. They are charging an installation fee of €250 and monthly charges of €40 for the service. There is no other broadband alternative. I was just wondering if these charges were in line with what others are paying in in the country?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

denismac wrote:
    My local area has just had a company come in and offer wireless broadband. They are charging an installation fee of €250 and monthly charges of €40 for the service. There is no other broadband alternative. I was just wondering if these charges were in line with what others are pay in in the country?
    What package/speeds/caps are the offering for €40?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Be careful, if it is a GBS scheme it may have satellite backhaul. They are indicated clearly on this list below in the right hand column . If the backhaul is sat it is fit for browsing only

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Communications/Group+Broadband+Scheme/Approved+Projects+2nd+phase.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

The company are advertising 512k up/down. Their link is here:
    http://www.bbnet.ie/Packages/Home
    I don't know if this is a good deal or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I'd stay away, they use a rolling contract. A very nasty way of nabbing people

Is there a minimum contract period?
    Yes. You are required to sign up for 12 months. The contract is automatically renewed unless you choose to cancel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A rolling 12 monther ouch, the wording would appear that it goes onto another 12 months and not month to month at the end of the 1st 12 . Clarify that one.

The price per month and install price are not exceptionally high , remember that 512k would be what went into the DCMNR in a GBS application in the spring of 2005 when Eircom still had a 512k DSL package just about .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Be careful, if it is a GBS scheme it may have satellite backhaul. They are indicated clearly on this list below in the right hand column . If the backhaul is sat it is fit for browsing only

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Communications/Group+Broadband+Scheme/Approved+Projects+2nd+phase.htm
    The backhaul is via fibre not satellite by the way.

Advertisement