Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old audio tapes on CD

Options
  • 06-12-2005 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a huge collection of old audio tapes that I would like to transfer on CDs. As far as I understand I need to plug an stereo with a AUX output to the line in of my pc and them record the songs with my Mp3 encoder.
    My questions are:
    - could somebody please tell me the name of the cable I need?
    - Where can I buy in Dublin a cheap stereo or tape deck with an AUX line.
    Cheers
    Fred

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Be aware that you will get pretty poor quality recordings.

I've tried recording a few songs from my hi-fi, using a cable from the hi-fi headphone socket, to the line-in on my sound card.

Firstly, it takes a bit of messing to get the volume just right.
    You need to view the output of the graphic equaliser on playback on your pc.
    If all the bars are hitting the top of the chart, then it's too loud.

You'll also need a stopwatch to know when to stop recording each song.
    It's all a horrible chore and rarely worth the bother in my opinion.

regards,
    Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

http://site.magix.net/english-uk/home/music/audio-cleaning-lab-10-deluxe/?version

Try this - it's cheap and cheerful and gives great results for cassettes and LPs. Assuming the tape isn't mangled it will clean the sound up beautifully. It takes a while to get your volumes optimised and configure the noise reduction plugin so it kills the hiss without degrading the signal, well worth it though. You should be able to buy that cable in Maplins. You could also connect the decks headphone output to the computer's line in as OMcGovern says. Try buy and sell for a cheap tape deck/hifi system - try before you buy (a clean tape recording shouldn't provide too much hiss - if it does walk away) and bring a head cleaner and degausser with you to get the best possible sound out of the deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fredo

Thanks for your replies I will let you knowif it works.

Advertisement