Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romário Still Beating All-Comers At 39

• 06-12-2005 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Imho, he should be recalled for the national team to give leadership and experience for the forthcoming world cup, imagine the sight of a tearful 40 year old Romário lifting the World Cup in July :D
    Romário sobbed uncontrollably on the São Januário pitch after Sunday’s 3-1 win over visiting Paraná Clube. The Baixinho had just found out that his brace of penalties had lifted him clear of Paysandu’s Róbson, unable to score in his first division swansong, and clinched the top scorer trophy – or ‘golden boot’ – and a Brazilian record.

The mythical striker potted both goals from the spot to be written into the history books as the Oldest ‘Artilheiro’ (Artilleryman literally, but top scorer metaphorically) in the 25 editions of the Brazilian league to date. “Happily, or perhaps unhappily for other players, penalties also count” grinned the number 11 before hugging Club President Eurico Miranda.

Encircled by a swarm of journalists, Romário had to take a break from his declarations four times as he felt tears welling up inside. Given his personality and the unseen feat of beating young guns like Carlitos Tevez into a back seat, the Baixinho did veer towards self-aggrandisement several times, but, then again, how many people even near this age have nailed the top scorer award over the past twenty years in any country?

"For me it’s an honour to be proclaimed top scorer at 39 years of age. It’s an attainment that few are able to reach. I think it’s a first in Brazil. Today I’m starting to break my own records; do things that I never thought possible” a tear-streaked Baixinho explained.

True to form, Romário lashed out at those who doubted his ability to play at this level with his fortieth just around the corner. “Those who stupidly doubted me will now just have to eat their words. I prove myself on the pitch, not behind a desk or a microphone. I play because I love it, not to mark time.”

Vasco should be counting on his services for at least the first quarter of 2006, as Romário wants to play the Carioca and Guanabara Tournaments (combining to form the Rio de Janeiro state trophy) and will see how things go before making a decision whether to play the Brasileirão 2006 or not.

”From now I’m on holiday. There’s a chance to play just the Carioca [tournament] or the whole year, but let’s see what happens. Football is the thing I love doing most in the world – on a pitch!” He was whisked off by President Miranda together with Renato Gaúcho to receive warm and prolonged applause from the VIP box. Vasco’s seventh league top scorer is still every inch a footballing hero.

http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=106290&idSez=157

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Great achievement but I don't really think Brazil will need him in Germany next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

great achievement for a 39 year old.Cant see brazil recalling him though. What ever happened his ex buddy and strike partner bebeto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

Wonderful player and IMO better than any of his successors.

Had the honour of seeing him score in the World Cup of 94.

One Rovers fan saw him score this season for Vasco!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Tremendous player and a true legend. I remember seeing him playing for Barcelone against Man U in the Champions league and he was simply brilliant.

Fantastic achievement for a player of his age. I hope he keeps playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I agree that he should be in the Brazilian squad...maybe not in a pivotal role but just be there in the dressing room!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

one of my favourite all time players tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

he desevres legendary status definitly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Steve_o wrote:
    I agree that he should be in the Brazilian squad...maybe not in a pivotal role but just be there in the dressing room!!

I agree he is a fantastic player but would he really serve any purpose in the squad or in the dressing room? I don't really think so and given the forwards that Brazil have(Ronaldo, Adriano, Robinho not to mention Raonaldinho and Kaka) I cann't personally see him been given a place in the squad. I think it would be a fantastic achievment if it does happen but I don't think it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bring him along as a coach and let him motivate the guys not that they will need it, they will destroy everyone. Mark my words. This is the boy Ronaldinhos year...him and Adriano.

cheesedude wrote:
    Bring him along as a coach and let him motivate the guys not that they will need it, they will destroy everyone. Mark my words. This is the boy Ronaldinhos year...him and Adriano.

Bringing him as coach or whatever could only be good for the moral of the team!! Imagine some of the younger Brazilian players who probably watched Romario play when they were kids, sitting in the same dressing room as him....Can only be good!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Oh i was serious about that point! I definitely think it can only be a good thing. That is what Gazza should be doing but the lad is a ****ing clown.

cheesedude wrote:
    Oh i was serious about that point! I definitely think it can only be a good thing. That is what Gazza should be doing but the lad is a ****ing clown.

Lol i could just imagine Gazza giving the likes of John Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham and so on a pep talk before a match....it'd be worth seeing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

cheesedude wrote:

was gonna say this myself, but you beat me to it :) definately bring him along as a coach, hes an absolute legend, one of my favourite players ever and what better way to motivate a squad than have a former world cup winner on the panel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

what better way to motivate a squad :)

Threaten to shoot them if they dont win it. Works a charm.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Steve_o wrote:
    Lol i could just imagine Gazza giving the likes of John Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham and so on a pep talk before a match....it'd be worth seeing!!

In that mad Gerodie accent and as drunk as a mule, now that would be funny:D Though in all seriousness I do feel real sorry for him and honestly think he should seek some sort of help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I wish they'd brought him to Japan. :(

Advertisement