Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Seeds

• 06-12-2005 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

World Cup seeds

Pot A
    England
    Germany
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Mexico
    Italy
    Spain
    France

Full draw on Friday 9th
    World Cup organisers have said that England will be one of the eight top seeds for next summer's finals in Germany.

An announcement in Leipzig, Germany, confirmed that the organising committee for the competition had retained the same seeding system used for the 2002 and 1998 tournaments.

The system uses a combination of past performances in the last three World Cup finals and world rankings over the past three years.

England are therefore seeded alongside the hosts Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Italy, Spain and France.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's team, who were eventually seeded second behind Brazil - with Germany already qualified, will now avoid any of the other seeds in the group stage of the competition, the draw for which takes place in Leipzig on Friday.

The rest of the teams will be drawn on a geographical basis so that, for example, two African sides are not in the same group.

The only exception to this is that two teams from Europe can be in the same group.

But England could still face one of the teams who are likely to be in the second pool of seeds, including Holland, the USA, the Czech Republic, Croatia, South Korea, Japan, Sweden and Paraguay.

Holland and the USA just missed out on the top group, the latter coming in a point behind Italy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Im very surprised the netherlands weren't seeded better but i guess with the system they use it was inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Im very surprised the netherlands weren't seeded better but i guess with the system they use it was inevitable.

What odds they end up in the same group as Mexico though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Looking at the teams outside of Pot A, being a top seed is absolutely nothing in this world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Davei141 wrote:
    Looking at the teams outside of Pot A, being a top seed is absolutely nothing in this world cup.

You're right take out the 13 European teams along with Brazil and Argentina and you're left with 17 weak looking sides, surely until other continents produce a better quality of international side the number of European places should be increased.

And don't even get me started on Mexico being top seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

masterK wrote:
    You're right take out the 13 European teams along with Brazil and Argentina and you're left with 17 weak looking sides, surely until other continents produce a better quality of international side the number of European places should be increased.

Other continests will not produce better teams without the exposure of teh World Cup, limiting the number of non- European places will not help other continents.
    I am no fan of African football but to be honest the only way it will get better is by getting more Africans interested and as a result more kids playing, and one way is through World Cup participation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

B-K-DzR wrote:
    They didn't qualify for the last WC which pretty much ruled them out of Pot A for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

all the teams are weak except for the europeans and brazil and argentina. It is right though that holland are only second seeds as they are being judged on their performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dying to see the draw, can't wait for the WC to kick off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Dying to see the draw, can't wait for the WC to kick off!
    I'm really dreading it. Sky Sports News is a no-go for that month as I just get too jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭finlma

Mexico fully deserve their seeding on past performance and qualifying. Holland didn't even make the last World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

masterK wrote:

You know, there is life outside of Europe. Mexico has consistantly done well at the recent World Cups, getting to the second round the last 3 times. Who else has done that? Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain, who else?

Where were the Netherlands and Czech Republic last time round? Where were Portugal, Sweden and Poland in 98?

Result dont lie.

Also, Italy are lucky to be a seed. But thanks to FIFA's inconsistant weighing of past World Cup experience and past Rankings, they made sure Italy squeezed past the USA for the 8th seed.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm really dreading it. Sky Sports News is a no-go for that month as I just get too jealous.

Yeah theres always the jealousy aspect with me too. Just have to grin and bare it I guess. A feast of football awaits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Who is everyone supporting seeong as how Ireland havn't qualified?
    I see on another thread that a lot of people are supporting Trinidad & Tobago.
    I'm going to be shouting for Austrailia - watched the playoff with Uruguay and felt they paly a bit like the Ireland of old - loads and loads of work, not too bad defensively, but took an awful lot of work to score.
    I rekon Viduka and Kewell, as well as a few other well travelled players will relish this chance to showcase their talent and could upset a few teams.
    My prediction is that they will qualify out of the group, and with a good draw could make the quarter or even semi-finals (steady on there)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't think I'll be backing any teams in this one. I just want to see some good tactical play. Pity Greece didn't make it. I could watch them all day long grinding results against the fancy dan chumps.

T&T all the way. Always fall for the underdogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

fade2black, that was a good find, i had a good laugh at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

what a sweet draw that would be:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

that was brilliant fade2black, lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Pretty sure Carlsburg ran a press campaign with something similar after the draw for 2002 WC for us. Was executed much better tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Oooh I get to see which games I probably won't get tickets for on Friday. Top seeded teams in group B and group G will be playing in Cologne. So no Brazil, or Germany. Would never have gotten tickets for those games anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I feel well gipped about the nederlands not being seeded, we are 2nd in the fifa world rankings FFS.

Advertisement