Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

game console speak

Options
  • 06-12-2005 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

remember in the days when it was simply

8bit -
    nes
    master system
    gameboy

16bit -
    megadrive
    snes

32bit -
    sega 32x
    saturn
    playstation
    3do (?)
    neo-geo (?)
    gba (?)

64bit -
    atari jaquar (yippee)
    n64

128bit -
    dreamcast
    ps2
    xbox (?)

whats to become of the old schoolyard taunts?
    "ha my 16bit system kicks your 8bit systems ass!" (well a nerdy schoolyard)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well the xbox is 32-bit because it's a Pentium 3 processor. No idea about most other recent consoles to be honest. I'm guessing that the 360 and PS3 are 64-bit if their based on G5 processors.

Its a fairly silly meaningless measurement really, it may have meant something when registers were so tiny that they really needed to be bigger to have more memory space, but there's little reason to go beyond 64-bit at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

steviec wrote:
    Well the xbox is 32-bit because it's a Pentium 3 processor. No idea about most other recent consoles to be honest. I'm guessing that the 360 and PS3 are 64-bit if their based on G5 processors.

Its a fairly silly meaningless measurement really, it may have meant something when registers were so tiny that they really needed to be bigger to have more memory space, but there's little reason to go beyond 64-bit at the moment.
    silly and meaningless to you, but i still remember the glory days......

la la la la

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

these days the kids are like " ah mine has more gigahappyflops than yours" nah nah na naaah naaah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

these days the kids are like " ah mine has more gigahappyflops than yours" nah nah na naaah naaah
    and thats why they should be exterminated with extreme prejudice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

steviec wrote:

ps2 and xbox are 64bit graphics wise. however this was when the insides of these machines were simple. now it makes no difference if your graphics chip is capable of producing 256bit graphics if you only have 4 vertical and horizontal pipe lines. its all changed from when it used to be but even then it was mis leading.

the jaguar was not 64bit, it was 32 bit but had a co processor and they added them together to get the 64bit number. so in truth it has never really been as easy as we liked to believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

TOO MANY GAMES OUT THERE.

snes days =
    what you doing today ? playing supermario world, thats what ! cant beat wendy coppa.
    16 bit please

Advertisement