Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halogen motion detection lamp

Options
  • 06-12-2005 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

The bulb on my newish (6mths old) outdoor halogen motion-sensitive floodlight seems to have blown.

This seems very soon for it to blow - although there was one particularly windy night recently where I reckon it may have been on all night due to the clothes on the line setting it off.

Is it just a blown bulb, or something more serious? I can hear the sensor kind of 'clicking' on when I step under it.

Are the bulbs a)pricey; b)difficult to source and fit?

Advice gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

You should be able to get a bulb for less than a fiver in almost any hardware shop, check the rating on the bulb (probably 500Watt) or better still bring the old bulb with you.

If the unit is clicking, then I would assume it's getting power, so most probably a blown bulb allright.

When installing the new bulb, don't touch the glass with your hand as fingerprints or grease wil affect its lifespan.
    If you do touch it, wipe it clean with a cloth dipped in some alcohol.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Looks like its just blown. You should get longer out of it, but it may have just been its time. Mine is on all night and i've had it nearly a year. Bulbs are quite common and should only be a few quid in your local DIY. Make sure to match the wattage size and not to touch the bulb when you replace it as this can shorten its life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

also make sure the power is off before u replace the bulb....try not to replace it in the rain either...

if the combined halogen light with sensor starts giving problems.. replace it.. they arn't very reliable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Hey, slightly off topic.... Do these use much electricity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

they eat the electricity! i noticed recently that my light was turning on everytime there was a breeze. anyway, i opened up my press to turn it off (i have a switch for it beside the main fuse board). when i did i noticed that the little red line of the fuse board was whizzing around. there was nothing else on in the house. so i turned off the light and it stopped. as soon as i turned it back on again it started to turn!

• Advertisement

tabatha wrote:
    they eat the electricity! i noticed recently that my light was turning on everytime there was a breeze. anyway, i opened up my press to turn it off (i have a switch for it beside the main fuse board). when i did i noticed that the little red line of the fuse board was whizzing around. there was nothing else on in the house. so i turned off the light and it stopped. as soon as i turned it back on again it started to turn!

Crrrrrrrrrrap! Thats it, the madra will have to get used to the dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I've seen some threads in my time but people posting for advice when a bulb blows?
    How many boardsies does it take to change a light bulb......:rolleyes:

Sleipnir wrote:
    I've seen some threads in my time but people posting for advice when a bulb blows?
    How many boardsies does it take to change a light bulb......:rolleyes:

21 1/2

How many smart arses does it take to.................. damn it I cant think of anything smart. Too early!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

.....change a lightbulb?
    If he's a real smartarse he'll get someone else to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

joejoem wrote:
    Crrrrrrrrrrap! Thats it, the madra will have to get used to the dark!

whats a madra?????:D

woof!!!!

for ur info :-

halogen lights for these fittings come in 500, 300, 200 watts an for the mini halogen 150 watts.....

i.e. 500 watts = 1/2 a bar of a electric fire equivelent..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

the clicking noise is the replay switching whenit detects movement. Most probably the Lamp is blown allright. When buying a replacment lamp pay the extra few Euro and get a good quality lamp like GE or Phillips.
    Good advice from Neil Sedaka regading not touching the lamp, Wrap some paper around it.
    What wattage is the fitting. Most are 500 watts which obviously uses less than 1/3 the juice.

Advertisement