Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel Nut Re-Bore

Options
  • 06-12-2005 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to get one of the holes in my wheel 'hub' (?) re-bored as the nut thread is nackered, and the bore is also knackered.

Does anyone know anywhere in the that does this in the north kildare/west dublin area. And any idea how much?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

prospect wrote:
    Hi,

I need to get one of the holes in my wheel 'hub' (?) re-bored as the nut thread is nackered, and the bore is also knackered.

Does anyone know anywhere in the that does this in the north kildare/west dublin area. And any idea how much?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm guessing you're probably gonna need a new hub since if the hole that is there has been dethreaded....if you try to rethread it, the new threads are gonna be bigger and thus the bolts will be too small to grip the threads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I'm not sure how that works fletch. I would have thought the same as you, but the guy in TAB told me to get it re-bored :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Mmm, new hub alright - if the two threads are shot, the chances are the hole is not only over-sized but also out-of-round. Any engineering workshop should be able to advise you whether the old hub can be repaired, and you might be able to use a Heli-coil to repair the thread but I would be doubtful of long-term success.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

"Heli-Coil", see here are one of the most well known thread repair products out there.
    Pretty easy to work with, but given you need to insure the hold and insert are on the correct diameter and spacing relative to the other nuts, you'd need to get a machine shop to drill and re-tap your original hub.

however, I assume you'll need to have it removed from the car, etc. this will probably destroy the wheel bearing in the process and may also require a new locknut if on a FWD, driven shaft.

Might be easier to get one off a crashed car and just change the whole knuckle.

Or ignore it and drive with 3/4 nuts.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

A helicoil will work perfectly , even longterm, but may prove more expensive than a new hub. What type of car , what year, front or rear ?

Megane,
    Front left.
    4 stud alloys.

Well the front is easier than the back anyway, so thats good news. A helicoil job is about €40.00 so you should price up the hub with a dealer or better still a motor factor.

Then you need to account for about 1-1.5 hours labour if not DIY !

Cheers mercmad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

MercMad wrote:
    Well the front is easier than the back anyway, so thats good news. A helicoil job is about €40.00 so you should price up the hub with a dealer or better still a motor factor.

Then you need to account for about 1-1.5 hours labour if not DIY !

I'd guesstimate more than €40.00 for a new hub + new Bearing + hub-nut (and maybe a new dust seal also).

btw, have you tried running a threading tap through whatever is left of the old threads in the current hub and trying out a new lug-nut. You may get away with that simple fix.
    A finishing tap of the size you require would probably cost <$20 and $5 for the tap handle/wrench.... and you get to keep the tool. And you can do this without removing anythig other than the wheel from the car. Worth a try at least, unless the hole is so badly stripped a new nut/bolt passes right over the stripped threads.

prospect, post a photo of damage and hub.

• Advertisement

AMurphy wrote:
    I'd guesstimate more than €40.00 for a new hub + new Bearing + hub-nut (and maybe a new dust seal also).

btw, have you tried running a threading tap through whatever is left of the old threads in the current hub and trying out a new lug-nut. You may get away with that simple fix.
    A finishing tap of the size you require would probably cost <$20 and $5 for the tap handle/wrench.... and you get to keep the tool. And you can do this without removing anythig other than the wheel from the car. Worth a try at least, unless the hole is so badly stripped a new nut/bolt passes right over the stripped threads.

prospect, post a photo of damage and hub.

Dont think it is too badly stripped, last 5 or 6 millimeters (>1/4 of an inch) of the nut is damaged..

Won't be able to take photo till the weekend...

yes AMurphys advice is goiod and the quickest/cheapest way to go. Once you can tighten the lug nut to the same extent as the others when finished it should be okay !

The hubs are generally harder than the item that screw into it !

Advertisement