Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Rad query!

Options
  • 06-12-2005 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi folks,

Another rad query, we've put in a new extension on our house, and in the bedroom, we got one new rad put in and then the builders put an old rad (from another room) in a small hallway leading into the bedroom. The intake/outtake for new rad comes through the exterior wall and the pipes for the old rad come through the timber floor.

All was fine initally, but last week the old rad started to make this tapping sound every eight seconds (or so) as it is heating up.

The sound seems to stop once it is warm. Any ideas?

Does it need to be "bled"? This is what the builder reckons when I spoke to him on the phone (they're finished now), but I felt he was fobbing me off a bit.

Also, the sound seems to stop when you stand beside the rad.

Could it be the timber floor expanding with the heat of the rad pipes? or rubbing against the timber? If so, what should I do?

Thanks a mil!

Pyat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tcoen

You may need arubber seperator between the radiator and where it is fastened on to wall hanger. Ask in heat merchants for washer or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If you have a long rad it could be the rad expanding on the brackets. If the noise stops when you stand on the floor, it is likely that it is the pipes under the floor expanding on joists or touching the wood somewhere.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 pyat

Thanks folks,

It is a long rad,so I'll try the rubber fasteners first. If that doesn't work, will I have to take up the floor boards and try to secure the pipes somehow?

Cheers,

Pyat

Advertisement