Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users - I need your help!

• 06-12-2005 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Dear Metro users,

I got a call from a Digiweb engineer saying he'll be coming tomorrow morning to install Metro (3Mb/512k). But I have a few questions that need answering:

1) Would you recommend Metro to a friend/family member?

2) Are any of you based in the Dublin 7 area (Stoneybatter/Cabra/Smithfield)? If so, are you happy with your Metro broadband?

3) Have any of you moved from IBB (I am currently on IBB 3Mb/3Mb) and regretted it?

4) How is latency for online gaming? I am personally more interested in a good ping than a good download speed...

Thank you in advance for your help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I'm in phibsboro - D7
    When it works, it's a dream, superb pings all the time.

When it doesn't ... well ... just look at the 27 page metro thread on the first page of broadband ;)
    *edit* yes i'd recommend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thanks for your reply Zoro!

Which mast are you on? (I'm close to Phibsboro so I could potentially be on the same mast)
    What "QoS level" (or is it "SNR level"?) did you get when they installed the aerial?

Haven't a fecking clue :)
    and I'm pointed at the big mountain thingies over *points* there :)

So Zoro, what is wrong with your connection? Crap latency + high % packet loss? How long has it been going on for?

Since I got the thing really. I'd get bouts of good service so it (my complaining) fizzles out for a while, then it kicks up a fuss again and I'm on here venting steam again :)

• Advertisement

Sh!t... That's the last thing I wanted to hear... I really need my latency to be "perfect"... We'll see how it goes sure... I might not even have a LoS!

Keep you updated anyway

Oh I'd love perfect latency too - ping spikes drive me f*cking insane :(

It's bad at the moment - but it's been worse. Just off the phone and I've a service call due at some stage this week to try to boost my SNR (which is low atm) and that will help apparantly

Can somebody tell me what SNR I should have in order to have a good Metro connection? I want to be able to tell the engineer tomorrow that I don't want it installed unless I have a minimum of _ _?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

zoro wrote:
    Oh I'd love perfect latency too - ping spikes drive me f*cking insane :(

It's bad at the moment - but it's been worse. Just off the phone and I've a service call due at some stage this week to try to boost my SNR (which is low atm) and that will help apparantly

my snr was apparantly good when it was installed and now is in the -20 figures.

Thanks a million Sparky_S! I'll be aiming for the high 30's then!!! :D

• Advertisement

Sparky_S wrote:

i forgot to add a :( to that post

Sparky_S wrote:

Exactly the same problem I have.
    I vaguely remember a ~30 figure, I think, when it was installed

Update 1:

So as you know, got a call from an engineer yesterday saying they wnated to come around @ 8 A.M/ this morning. Now what you don't know is that I told that engineer today wasn't a good day for me because I have to work and he says to me "I'll be there @ 8:00 A.M. on the dot! Can't you take an hour off?". So I spoke to my manager and took an hour off this morning.
    8:15 A.M: Nobody had showed up. So I rang your man from yesterday who says to me "Yeah I had 2 calls logged @ 8:00 A.M. Should be there around 9:30/9:45" oO :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So anyway, an engineer eventually shows up at around 9:30 or so. Really nice guy. Very apologetic even if it wasn't his fault. Unfortunately, he is the only Digiweb engineer without a van thus meaning he didn't have a 3-storey ladder! :mad: So he couldn't get onto the roof but he's pretty sure LoS will be fine.

I asked them to come tomorrow or Friday as I'm off these days.

To be continued...

zoro wrote:
    Exactly the same problem I have.
    I vaguely remember a ~30 figure, I think, when it was installed

well mines -26 now (well last friday) the installer said even without a meter working on the day it was originally installed that it would of being in the plus even if it was by eyesight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

So overall... what are peoples views on Metro? Better or the same as IBB?

EDIT: I wrote smart instead of metro, doh!

So overall... what are peoples views on smart? Better or the same as IBB?

on smart?
    do you mean metro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They won't install unless they get a minimum "good" signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

watty wrote:
    They won't install unless they get a minimum "good" signal.
    So the people who are having problems are only have problems because their signal has deteriorated? Not because of any bandwidth problems/backhaul issues on digiweb's side of things? I'm really tempted to change, but i don't want to be in another 6month contract with a dodgy service when NTL or Smart may arrive within the next 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

My Metro Service is fantasic i have to say, Nothing compared to Ibb Cust service know what there saying, I am getting true speeds.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

anybody using metro in the city centre?? feedback appreciated.

• Advertisement

Yes. I'm in phibsboro.

Service so far has been patchy - but a major fix was due yesterday or firday apparantly. It hasn't done too much atm, but it's possible that it was postponed until next week some time.
    I'm getting high pings and packetloss at the moment

zoro wrote:
    Yes. I'm in phibsboro.

Service so far has been patchy - but a major fix was due yesterday or firday apparantly. It hasn't done too much atm, but it's possible that it was postponed until next week some time.
    I'm getting high pings and packetloss at the moment

me aswell, the high pings and packetloss that is.

they were great there for a whole 16 mins. Gone back to utter crap again

Mhhh... Metro is basically a cheaper version of IBB then? And here I was, looking forward to telling IBB to stick their antenna up their... Oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

dathi1 wrote:
    anybody using metro in the city centre?? feedback appreciated.

yep I have it in Mountjoy Square. I have had no problems whatsoever since I was connected (about 5 weeks ago). Pings have been great (three people playing CS on the IOA server with a ping of 30) and the downloads have been very fast off fast servers (steam, ati etc). I would highly recommend the service.
    One bad thing is that my phone service has not been set up yet. Even though I sent an email 4 weeks ago and again 2 weeks ago. Still no action taken.

By the way Im connected to the 3Rock mast

nl wrote:
    yep I have it in Mountjoy Square. I have had no problems whatsoever since I was connected (about 5 weeks ago). Pings have been great (three people playing CS on the IOA server with a ping of 30) and the downloads have been very fast off fast servers (steam, ati etc). I would highly recommend the service.
    One bad thing is that my phone service has not been set up yet. Even though I sent an email 4 weeks ago and again 2 weeks ago. Still no action taken.

By the way Im connected to the 3Rock mast

Loads of people are on the Three Rock mast yet some have sh!t connections (i.e. zoro) and others like yourself have great connections...? Why is that? oO :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

dont really know. But these are the conditions which mine is working under:

1. Perfect line of sight
    2. I have a signal strength of +6

Id be interested to know what signal strength Zoro has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm on Digiweb Metro
    I have -9dBmV to -11dBmV and my pings are 10ms to 20ms with no packet loss (12.6km path). My downnload is 2Mbps to 3mbps even via my old 90MHz firewall PC. My LOS is not perfect.

I know someone less than 200m from IBB base TX and they get 140ms to 160ms pings with up to 50% packet loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

perfect so far since installation.

limerick tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Can't complain about the service, been working great since I got it. In dundrum btw

Advertisement