Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users - I need your help!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i think mine is just a bad install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Well when the engineer came last week he couldn't get on the roof but he's pretty sure LoS is perfect from up there (fingers crossed). I'm thinking I should tell the engineers not to go ahead with the install unless I have a high signal strenght like nl here... What do you think?

nl: Do you play online? How's latency? Is it really good or just ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Right, so if noone can warn me off getting em (i'm in the rathfarnham/ballyroan area) i think i'll be switching ISP's by the end of the week. Anyone in this area (probably three rock mast or thereabouts) have any major problems? Or are most happy enough.

Since its a free install, i can tell em to shove it without making a huge loss if it turns out the service is IBB like.

Update 2:

Rang Digiweb to find out when they were coming around to install. Seems they had forgotten about me... :( Anyway the lady I was speaking to was very helpful and she rang the engineer in charge of my area to find out what the story was. He told her he would be ringing me tomorrow to arrange installation some time this week! Fingers crossed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

nl: Do you play online? How's latency? Is it really good or just ok?[/QUOTE]

Steffano I play COD UO alot and I get some servers with pings in the 30 - 40 range and above which is great, I don't find any lags usually or interruptions when I play, I'm still crap but I can't blame Metro for that. If I blow your head off sometime the name is Willywagga.

• Advertisement

Steffano I play COD UO alot and I get some servers with pings in the 30 - 40 range and above which is great, I don't find any lags usually or interruptions when I play, I'm still crap but I can't blame Metro for that. If I blow your head off sometime the name is Willywagga.
    I'm delighted to hear that so I am! :D All I'm REALLY interested in is good latency for playing online. Download/upload speeds are, of course, important; but I just want to pawn people online on CoD2! :D

And you'll never get to blow my head off on UO... Rarely ever played it online and now that CoD2 is out... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭[V3]

What happens if you go over the cap with Metro? Also does anyone knows whether they block ports for bittorent?

Update 3:

I was supposed to get a call from the engineer in charge of my area today but it didn't happen... I rang Digiweb at around 4 P.M. and the lady I was speaking to said she needed to contact somebody else in order to find out why the engineer hadn't rang. She never got back to me... Getting annoyed... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Steffano,

I used to have IBB and have now moved to Metro. Aside from a couple of dodgy patches, the connection is good enough to play Condition-Zero and Battlefield2 on UK servers.

Average pings about 30-60 depending on the server. The important thing though is that it's a constant ping. Not like IBB's ranging from 30-4000.

I would call them again today. I had it installed about 4 weeks ago and order to installation was 5 working days.

If you havee IBB, it's well worth switching to Metro.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your post Adey2002! Glad to hear you've got great pings with your Metro connection!

I rang Digiweb this morning and they're trying to get the engineer to ring me to arrange a time & date for installation. I hope I get the call today! I think it's been a month since I signed up now! :(

I really really hope Metro will be the reliable connection I've been dreaming of for the past year! Don't get me wrong now, I had great periods with IBB when my ping was phenomenal but the service is just too unreliable... And €85 EUR a month is just crazy for 3MB (and you never get 3MB anyway...).

Update 4:

Right so, I got a call from the engineer... He's sending somebody out tomorrow morning @ 8:00 A.M. with an 'extra long ladder'. I got him to confirm "8 o'clock" meant "8 o'clock" this time though, cos last time the engineer only showed up at 9:30 A.M!

Fingers crossed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

My only experience with Digiweb is that they asked me to rent a cherry picker. I kinda get the impression they're looking for low-hanging fruit when it comes to installations or they just haven't planned this stuff very well. In any event, I consider the installation to be Digiweb's problem so I'm not going to waste time on it.

I incidently got Irish Broadband instead, which actually seems to work in this location (off 3 Rock).

Blaster99 wrote:
    My only experience with Digiweb is that they asked me to rent a cherry picker. I kinda get the impression they're looking for low-hanging fruit when it comes to installations or they just haven't planned this stuff very well. In any event, I consider the installation to be Digiweb's problem so I'm not going to waste time on it.

The same happened to me but only because I mentioned the cherry picker first. I only did that because I already have IBB and they said they needed a cherry picker to get on my roof... Turns out a proper ladder will do the job just fine! I hope Digiweb get their own cherry pickers soon... They're going to lose a good few customers to IBB otherwise...
    Blaster99 wrote:
    I incidently got Irish Broadband instead, which actually seems to work in this location (off 3 Rock).

Keep your fingers crossed! Always works well for the first few weeks...

I've ditched IBB. Got an install lined up with Digiweb Metro. I'll probably end up taking IBB's equip down myself since i really doubt they'll remove their equip before Digiweb get here for the installation. I'm told 3-4 weeks.

I hope i get LOS...

I've ditched IBB. Got an install lined up with Digiweb Metro. I'll probably end up taking IBB's equip down myself since i really doubt they'll remove their equip before Digiweb get here for the installation. I'm told 3-4 weeks.

I hope i get LOS...
    When is your install planned for Mutant_Fruit? I hope to God I have a perfect LoS when the engineer comes tomorrow! I know the last engineer that came said I "should" have a perfect LoS but I don't know for sure yet...

When is your install planned for Mutant_Fruit?
    I don't have a date as of yet. I'll ring em up tomorrow and try and get a date organised, because i don't want to cancel my souped-up-dialup IBB connection and be without the net for 8 weeks if the Digiweb installation gets delayed.

I'll probably end up on the threerock mast. I'm just a bit worried about that, because when IBB came out before, i didn't have a signal from Three Rock (but i did from tallaght). So if Digiweb's mast is in roughly the same place, i probably won't get a signal.

Do they have any other masts that might reach the ballyroan/rathfarnham area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Keep your fingers crossed! Always works well for the first few weeks...

Yeah... well... the speed does fluctuate quite a bit but I'm getting something that resembles the speed I'm paying for a lot of the time. I would prefer Digiweb but if they can't be arsed installing the service, then so be it.

I think Digiweb uses one of the taller masts on Three Rock, but I might remember incorrectly. IBB uses a small mast sort of down to the right of the bigger masts, looking at it from Sandyford Ind Est. I think it's owned by a radio station.

Update 5:

Engineers should have been there @ 8:00 A.M. They came at 8:45. :mad: Really getting annoyed with this now... Anyway, 2 new lads with, this time, a van and a three-storey ladder. They looked at the roof and they said "we need a roof ladder. Ours won't do". :mad: :mad: :mad:

So they rang their "boss" and he said he was sending an engineer on Monday (I have a day off - thank God) with a roof ladder.

I really REALLY hope Metro is worth all this hassle! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I find Metro much better than anyones copper Eircom aDSL or ripwave IBB I have seen /used in LImerick.
    Speed very good and consistant and 10ms to 20ms pings.

• Advertisement

I hope I'll be as happy with mine come Monday as you are with yours Watty! How about phone/call quality? Is it as good as Eircom copper?

Advertisement