Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Virus?

• 06-12-2005 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Recently, AVG brought up its usual 'virus detected' window and I clicked delete, then almost immediately it did the same again, but before i could click anything, the window disappeared and windows restarted for no apparent reason. Now windows security centre is telling me two things
    a] Windows firewall is off, but when you try to access windows firewall through control panel nothing happens,
    and
    b] automatic updates are off, but they are actually turned on.

Also, when I try to use IE it keeps telling me;
    "Internet Explorer could not open the site 'http://....'.

Operation aborted."

I am almost certain this is a virus, so I was goin to run the dell system restore back to factory settings as theres not much on it or does anyone know a simpler way of solving this problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

boot into safe mode + scan for viruses and spyware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Download and run Stinger see what it picks up and then look for that Virus patch

http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

thanx!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

that stinger idea went really badly so i reformatted. it did find some variant of a virus then it just ****ed a lot of things up. wasnt worth the effort me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Stinger is a bit of a mixed bag imo, while it is a nice small application which effectively removes viruses, it doesn't prompt the user if they wish to remove the virus, or if you wish to quarantine, I have seen it delete files that weren't actually viruses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement