Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get out of Eircom Contract after 1 month???

• 06-12-2005 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I ordered Eircom on Nov 7th. I don't want it anymore am I within the cooling off period?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

ballooba wrote:
    I ordered Eircom on Nov 7th. I don't want it anymore am I within the cooling off period?

I think so but cancel it this minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm not the bill payer so I'm not 100% on cancelling it yet.

I have emailed the account representative asking "if it would be possbile to do so". This could be taken that I want her to cancel it now, but isn't crystal.

Hopefully this will have me covered.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ballooba wrote:

Did you not read the Terms & Conditions of the service before you signed up?

Were none. They weren't even mentioned on the form. It's a business account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

ballooba wrote:
    Were none. They weren't even mentioned on the form. It's a business account.
    Theres always Terms and Conditions.
    7.3 If the Customer terminates this Agreement during the
    Initial Period, eircom may, without prejudice to its rights
    to treat the termination as a breach or repudiation of
    this Agreement, agree to accept such termination
    provided notice of such termination is addressed to
    eircom and the Customer agrees to pay to eircom as a
    termination charge such sum as represents the remaining
    Rental due for the Initial Period.
    Ful document here.
    http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/bb_real_terms.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ballooba wrote:

I dont think that I have ever felt sympathy for Eircom before but you have just made me sympathetic to them (or at least their staff) in having to deal with customers like yourself.

This is the second thread that you have started about Eircom and getting out of your contract (or it appears someone else's contract you dont seem totally sure!!!!) and you have also posted in at least one other thread on this subject. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054858572

I am not sure what you are expecting from other boards users on this matter - you have signed up for a 6 mth contract with Eircom and NTL has now become available - tough it happens!!!

In your previous post you give no details of why exactly you are not happy with Eircom?

You now think you want to cancel it - you apparently ordered it - you are not the bill payer so you dont know if you are going to cancel it:rolleyes:
    I'm not the bill payer so I'm not 100% on cancelling it yet.

You email Eircom expecting some poor person to be able to work out something that you have not worked out yourself!!!
    I have emailed the account representative asking "if it would be possbile to do so". This could be taken that I want her to cancel it now, but isn't crystal.

Hopefully this will have me covered.

So you dont mind getting someone else into trouble if the interpretation they put on your email does not ultimately work out to your satisfaction? Or hold on its not your satisfaction its the bill payers satisfaction:rolleyes:

You make claims about Terms and Conditions not being available which are refuted above - surely a business that commits itslef to a contract without clearly understanding the Terms and Conditions associated with it deserves whatever it gets? As it happens today in work a guy was telling us that he got a copy of the terms and conditions delivered with his modem.

Thanks for your above rant Dub45. If you knew anything about contract law you would know that even if it is indicated on a contract that you are agreeing to T&Cs detailed elsewhere that you may not necessarily have agreed to them as you may not necessarily have taken the time to read them.

Again T&Cs in the box??? I wasn't made aware of that when i was making the contract. I didn't even read the literature in the box. I just set up the equipment and threw the box in the corner.

There were no terms and conditions mentioned on my order form. It may not even be an 'Order Form' the title on it is 'Checklist for commercial sites requesting broadband'.
    I am not sure what you are expecting from other boards users on this matter - you have signed up for a 6 mth contract with Eircom and NTL has now become available - tough it happens!!!

People get out of contracts all the time, that's business. Deal with it!

I already mentioned it was a business account, a limited company has to have at least two directors so by nature I could not be the bill payer. At least two people, or "the company", are the bill payers.

And how am I getting the account representative in trouble?!? I requested that the account be cancelled within, what I am led to believe is, the cooling off period. Worst case scenario she cancels it and we decide to keep it. Then I will inform her of such. It's a lot easier to get (back) into a contract than out of it. Maybe she might lose commission, but get in trouble?!?

Or are you just bitter that we have the leverage to get out of the contract?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ballooba wrote:
    Thanks for your above rant Dub45. If you knew anything about contract law you would know that even if it is indicated on a contract that you are agreeing to T&Cs detailed elsewhere that you may not necessarily have agreed to them as you may not necessarily have taken the time to read them.

Again T&Cs in the box??? I wasn't made aware of that when i was making the contract. I didn't even read the literature in the box. I just set up the equipment and threw the box in the corner.

There were no terms and conditions mentioned on my order form. It may not even be an 'Order Form' the title on it is 'Checklist for commercial sites requesting broadband'.

People get out of contracts all the time, that's business. Deal with it!

I already mentioned it was a business account, a limited company has to have at least two directors so by nature I could not be the bill payer. At least two people, or "the company", are the bill payers.

And how am I getting the account representative in trouble?!? I requested that the account be cancelled within, what I am led to believe is, the cooling off period. Worst case scenario she cancels it and we decide to keep it. Then I will inform her of such. It's a lot easier to get (back) into a contract than out of it. Maybe she might lose commission, but get in trouble?!?

Or are you just bitter that we have the leverage to get out of the contract?

You obviously know nothing about contract law given that you have posted on here twice now hoping that someone will suggest something that will get you out of a contract that you do not want to be in.

You signed up for a contract without making any effort to find out the terms and conditions associated with that contract.

And again I would point you to your own statement:

Hopefully this will have me covered

So you dont know if you want to cancel the contract - you dont have the power to do it yourself ........

So you have emailed an unclear message to someone - and you hope that they will interpret this message in some Solomon like way - in the hope you will be covered. thats really nice behaviour ok.:rolleyes:

And as for this?

That is simply an admission of carelessnes on your part - I cannot imagine any sensible person thinking that a failure to take the time to read terms and conditions of a contract is a defense!!!!!!

Actually I am quite well versed on contract law. I posted here asking if anyone knew what the cooling off period was, as this is the easiest way to get out of the contract.

It is of no interest to me what you imagine or otherwise. There ARE no T&Cs to my contract as I was not made aware of any at the time of making the contract.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

ballooba wrote:
    There ARE no T&Cs to my contract as I was not made aware of any at the time of making the contract.

I find it very difficult to believe that at no time were you required to sign some form with the T&Cs attached when ordering the product, or that at no time were you made aware of the T&Cs, or given a copy of same.

Give us a complete run-down of the process you went through when ordering this product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

I agree with Dub45 here.

I called the account manager. I asked about the price etc.

She said it was on special for three months and after that it was full price.

I said that's great i'll take it.

She said great i'll send you the form. She emailed me a one page form with the title mentioned above. There is absolutely no mention of T&Cs. I emailed it back to her with all the details.

I received my modem about two weeks later. I set it all up and it worked.

Advertisement