Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs. Liverpool

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

It gives me pains to say it but Gerrard is a class player. Thought he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. Anyone see Gatuso at the end of the Milan game?...either he loves football/Milan or he is a knob, the jury's out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

garred wrote:
    It gives me pains to say it but Gerrard is a class player. Thought he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. Anyone see Gatuso at the end of the Milan game?...either he loves football/Milan or he is a knob, the jury's out.

Have u got a video of Gattuso ? :) but he does love football and milan, so that option could be a possibility to anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

garred wrote:
    It gives me pains to say it but Gerrard is a class player. Thought he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch.
    I don't understand how he still has his doubters. People say he's inconsistant but he's usually fantastic when I see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

It's coincidence. Nothing more than coincidence. European football is about being able to adapt to a different style of football, as each league has it's own style.

4 games now. :v:
    and again we've gotten the better of chelsea [did they top the group? no]

both teams are from the same league last time I checked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

eirebhoy wrote:
    I don't understand how he still has his doubters. People say he's inconsistant but he's usually fantastic when I see him.

They're usually United fans who don't want to admit how good he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

garred wrote:
    Anyone see Gatuso at the end of the Milan game?...either he loves football/Milan or he is a knob, the jury's out.
    He really does love the Milan cause. He also is a bit of a knob by times as well. he just can get too passionate by times.

What odds on Liverpool and Chelsea meeting each other again in the competition this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For the love of the game, please no!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Bang on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

What odds on Liverpool and Chelsea meeting each other again in the competition this season?

Almost high for my likeing im sick of seeing Liverpool play them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

That's the third time this season I've seen Essien feign injury after trying to break a players leg and he got away with it again! Very bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

can the ref site essien in his report if he didn't do anything about it during the game?

and can UEFA do anything with the video evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd say most United fans would rather him in the United team than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

mike65 wrote:
    For the love of the game, please no!

Mike.
    There really should be a laughing smiley. :D
    Almost high for my likeing im sick of seeing Liverpool play them!
    As long as Italian teams remain in the competition and they don't meet in the Final, I'll be OK over here in the land of snow and lumberjacks. Otherwise......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I predicted (hoped for!) 1-1 so 0-0 is excellent if for nothing else then for keeping the run of clean sheets going. If we're going to go ten games unbeaten the I seriously hope we put a big push on to do well in the League or CL, it'd be a shame for a record from an excellent team from the 80's to fall to a team that ultimately wins nothing for us.

Have to applaud Traore, he was part of a system that somehow managed to keep Duff and Robben very quiet. All I can remember from him were several shocking mistakes that could have been punished, but I guess he was doing something right, right?

Bring on Rangers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

great result for liverpool as i expected us to loose, now we can look forward to the boro game on saturday and hopefully No.10 shutout which will equal the record for liverpool.

Cisse must be definately going in january as he didnt play again last night.

At least we finished first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Mourinho is getting WengerItis - didn't see it apparently. Essien can still get punished as no yellow card or even free kick was given, thus it cannot be said that the the referee dealt with it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Thought the game was interesting to watch. I was in college so taped it and watched the first half in full and then by chance flicked on to ITV as the highlights of the second half started.

I thought Liverpool were far more comfortable last night than an away team at Chelski really should have been and definately came out on top in the first half. Essien is a disgrace and should have walked. How the ref didn't see the tackle yet he was right beside it, was a joke. Hamann's leg showed just how bad the tackle was. Rafa was in shock at how the ref, linesman and fourth offical all missed the tackle.

Happy to see Liverpool top the group as we avoid some big big teams like Barcelona and the Milan's. Was also happy to see how pi$$ed Mourhino was after the game and trying to have a few digs at Liverpool.

TheMonster wrote:
    Mourinho is getting WengerItis - didn't see it apparently. Essien can still get punished as no yellow card or even free kick was given, thus it cannot be said that the the referee dealt with it already.
    Does that apply to European matches also? I hope so!
    Could start to see Chelsea struggle if Makelele is out much longer and Essien got a 3 match ban (which I reckon he's deserving of). No CL games til after Christmas though so it'll hardly matter.

Another player I was very happy with last night was FSP, though he looked very good when he came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

p.pete wrote:
    Does that apply to European matches also? I hope so!
    Could start to see Chelsea struggle if Makelele is out much longer and Essien got a 3 match ban (which I reckon he's deserving of). No CL games til after Christmas though so it'll hardly matter.

Another player I was very happy with last night was FSP, though he looked very good when he came on.
    Same difference as if he clocked some one of the ball. wasn't seen.

some more of his tackles here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I was shocked to see essien go for didi like that, even more shocked that the ref did nothing at all about it. If he say it and did nothing about it then i'm even more shocked. I'm shocked, tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

While the Essien tackle was a disgrace, some of the comments on here are just as bad.
    Kameira banned for a week (Tramp knacker bastard comments).
    Super Furrry banned for a week(scumbag comments).
    Pie banned for a week(Jungle comments).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

bannings are outrageous talla,
    anyway the tackle was horrific,
    i can't see anything but at least 3-5 games ban for essien.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

ESSIEN UNDER FIRE FOR HORROR TACKLE
    Liverpool midfielder Dietmar Hamann feared his leg had been broken by Chelsea's Michael Essien in the first half of their Champions League stalemate at Stamford Bridge.

The Ghanaian international sparked a touchline row between rival managers after his reckless challenge, which went unpunished by German referee Herbert Fandel.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez was reluctant to get involved in a post-game slanging match with Chelsea counterpart Jose Mourinho but Germany international Hamann was scathing about Essien's lunge.

"It was the worst tackle I have ever been on the receiving end of," declared Hamann.

"I really feared that I might have broken my leg, thankfully it is only bad bruising."

Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho claims he did not see the controversial tackle even though it occurred right in front of the two dugouts.

But Mourinho demonstrated the increasing bad blood between the two clubs by accusing the Liverpool bench of 'crying' throughout the game.

"I cannot give my version of it because I didn't see it," insisted Mourinho.

"I was telling the Liverpool bench that they were crying all the game.

"They needed to sit down a little bit and relax.

"With me referees are always very strong and quick to put me in my place. But other managers can do what they want.

"For example if Jose Mourinho had down what Stuart Pearce did against Blackburn, it would have been a three-month ban for me."

The Chelsea coach was unconcerned that the goalless draw meant his side finished second to the Reds in Group G, but he was not happy they did not win the game.

"First or second doesn't matter," he re-iterated. "But I am unhappy we didn't win the game.

"It shows the way teams play. They defended very well and behind the ball. They did not give us many chances to create and score.

"When you only have two or three chances in the game and don't score one of them, then it ends zero-zero."

Mourinho maintains that his side are ready for whatever the last 16 draw has in store for them.

"It's an open draw," said Mourinho. "The only thing we know is that we won't play against Liverpool and the other English teams.

"We have five or six possibilities and we have to be ready for them."

Rafael Benitez did not want to become involved in the row over Essien's tackle but made it clear that he was not impressed with the Chelsea player's conduct.

"I could see the tackle because it happened right in front of the bench," said Benitez. "I could see the leg of Didi Hamann.

"It is clear and and you can see the video. I have my opinions and I would prefer to keep them to myself."

Benitez hinted he would like UEFA to take a look at the tackle but did not think there was a chance of any punishment and refused to respond to Mourinho's 'crying' jibe.

"In my opinion you can't change it," he said. "I don't want to talk about things that are so clear. I think Jose talks a lot."

i hope essien gets banned too.It could have broken hamann's leg ffs. Anyways hopefully now we can concentrate on getting another 3 points off boro on saturday and then off to japan for the world club championship. Interesting to see that darren potter, danny o donnell and david raven have been included in the swuad for the trip to japan.All good players for the future especially raven.

Hopefully we can break the record over in japan too and bring home a nice big trophy whilst we are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A close game, with both teams strong in defence and trying to sneak a goal through. A draw suited Liverpool more, so a moral "victory" of sorts. With only 13 attempts at goal in the whole match, not one for the neutrals or those entertained by goals only. A match of intrigue nonetheless, more like a slow chess game, or a tug of war.

Liverpool reverted to a more defensive 4-2-3-1 formation, for this match.

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Hyppia - Traore
    ---- Sissoko --- Hamann ---
    - Garcia -- Gerrard -- Riise -
    Crouch

A surprise selection for Traore perhaps, but with the protection of Riise on the same side as well as Hamann and Sissoko acting as the 1st line of defence, Chelsea's wide options in Duff and Robben were nullified. Drogba was used as the Chelsea battering ram, and was very well shepharded by Carragher and Hyypia. The only danger from Chelsea was coming through the packed middle. A sequence of mis-kicks gave Chelsea their best chance, a shot from Lampard from 20-22 yards out which was too close to Reina although powerfully struck. Reina saved it but should have done so more comfortably as he nearly let the ball reflect down and into the net.

Liverpool adopted Crouch as their battering ram. Indeed, he did this job well, winning most of the balls and laying about 75% of them to a Liverpool runner, usually Gerrard. This gave Liverpool possesion at about the 35-40 yard range and from there it was a case of whether Gerrard could thread a pass through to Riise, get some interlink going, take a shot himself or get Garcia free who was hovering around in his usual fashion.

Indeed, the game was more like the Lampard v Gerrard show as these were the two best players on the pitch and the ones most likely to create something. Liverpool's best chance came to Riise and his shot was well saved by Cech. Lampard had 4 shots on target to Liverpool's 3. Crouch got a header from one cross from Riise, who it has to be said did not cross well all night, but it was a very weak attempt and no danger to the Chelsea goal as it sailed high and over. It was a game where you thought a goal may come, indeed, Chelsea should have upped it if they really wanted a win.

Although using Crouch as the a target man may have given Liverpool a readily available option, and one with a high success rate of getting Liverpool in possession in the other half, it was never a tactic that wa going to create clear openings for Liverpool.

Both defences were solid, no need to elaborate there. Carra good, Hyypia good, not left on a one on one with Robben thank christ, Finnan good, Traore, all legs, but good enough. Warnock must have felt dissapointed that he ddnt get a game. Alonso perhaps too, but as he wasnt going to be used for any creative passing, his absenc wasnt sorely missed. Liverpool didnt want to take the game to Chelsea, with Sissoko and Hamann not venturing forward at all.

In a way then I was surprised by the sub of Kewell on for Riise after 60 mins. Liverpool's setup seemed to be working well so why change a "winning" formula? This meant more work for Hamann and Sissoko. Kewell once again didnt do much in the match. He was off the pace, and on one occasion Gerrard fed him a ball expecting him to hare after it but he didnt even move. Luckily Chelsea werent able to exploit any Kewell weakness. When Morientes came on for Crouch, he was less effective as the battering ram, although more likely to be able to get a goal. But he didnt get much of a sniff and on the couple, or was it just one, occasion when an attack was coming through, he was yards behind the pace and drifted backwards as other players streamed past him.

Pongolle came on at 80 mins and I thought did quite well. He moved around a fair bit, which may not have been so good, but he injected some pace and created half-threats if nothing else, as Liverpool finished the stronger of the two teams.

Generally a match with not so much at stake, both teams unwilling to take major risks, and both teams cancelling each other out. For Chelsea though, I would have thought that they would have tried a bit more as the onus was on them to do so, preferring the win, etc.

That Essien foul on Hamann was atrocious and not the 1st won he has gotten away with this season. To be fair to the Ref, the foul was in a melee with Gerrard also tangling, and Essien being more than well "prepared" with his foot up. Slow motion makes us all experts, but Uefa should do something to show that fouls with such intent, and clearly this one was as his face told his guilt, is punished, a belated yellow card if nothing else.

There will be few easy match-ups in the last-16 round.
    Liverpool v Juventus, Barcelona v Chelsea anyone?

Btw, amazing that Rangers scraped through, giving McLeish a stay of execution perhaps.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

redspider wrote:
    but Uefa should do something to show that fouls with such intent, and clearly this one was as his face told his guilt, is punished, a belated yellow card if nothing else.

Yellow? Red and a minimum three match ban I say. That was the most vicious tackle I've seen this season, absolutely no attempt to get the ball, full intent to get the man. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

mayordenis wrote:
    bannings are outrageous talla,
    anyway the tackle was horrific,
    i can't see anything but at least 3-5 games ban for essien.

Have you ever bothered to read the charter Mayor ? It's the one at the top of the forum called Charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'm still finding it hard to believe how well Liverpool are playing at the moment. At the present time there's little or nothing between Chelsea and Liverpool. Remember this game was at Stamford Bridge where Chelsea needed a win and Liverpool only a draw. Liverpool were the better team in the first half, Chelsea in the second. A draw was the fair result.

When Liverpool do stutter, it'll be interesting to see how they react. A bad run of results might come.

I'm trying to think of a word for Essien that won't get me banned for a week. He's a thug, but the words the lads used were even more accurate! Pity the defence that if its true it can't be libel, doesnt work with regards forum bannings :p

(BTW, while you could certainly use "jungle" in a sentence and make it racist - I didnt think "Essien should be fighting wars in a jungle" was racist, but maybe I wouldnt know. Pity to get banned for a very funny post!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just heard that UEFA might take action against Essien, it depends on the report from ref and 4 man.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

UEFA better take action against Essien. That was an absolutly disgraceful tackle and he deserves a minimum of a three game ban:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Have you ever bothered to read the charter Mayor ? It's the one at the top of the forum called Charter.
    I think its easy to forget the finer details of the charter, when you've been a member for a long time, or not noticing when the charter has been updated.

I get a great laugh out of the soccer access request forum these days. As clear as day at the top of the board as a sticky is "Charter - Read this or you will be banned". Then in the charter it says "no user is to post on another users access request thread, this too will result in a months ban from the access request forum." And still you always get people replying to other people's threads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

lets have a look at the charter then shall we:
    # Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at groups of fans or sports personalities people will not be tolerated. We reserve the right to edit/move/delete such posts as we see fit. Occasions of personal abuse against another board member will result in a one week ban. The basic rule is keeping it civil; you can have friendly banter without resorting to personal abuse.
    # Scum is an abusive term, just in case you may have thought otherwise.

so in a nutshell, one week ban for personal abuse against boards members, edit/delete/move for everything else???

Perhaps it is you who should re-read the charter, ditto Talla - none of the comments were inciting an arguement or of a flaming nature - it was one of the worst tackles I've seen in years - I don't see why Talla had to be all heavy handed....

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    lets have a look at the charter then shall we:

Lets.
    # Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at groups of fans or sports personalities people will not be tolerated. We reserve the right to edit/move/delete such posts as we see fit. Occasions of personal abuse against another board member will result in a one week ban. The basic rule is keeping it civil; you can have friendly banter without resorting to personal abuse.
    # Scum is an abusive term, just in case you may have thought otherwise.

That egg on face, you want it fried or scrambled?

;)

Lets.

That egg on face, you want it fried or scrambled?

;)

now go back and read it. deary me, what don't you understand?

the egg-facer has become the egg-facee... how ironic!

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    now go back and read it. deary me, what don't you understand?

I'll have mine boiled then...:o

At worst the charter needs rewording, but anyone with half a brain should be able to decipher that personal abuse=abuse of boards member AND sports personalities AND groups of fans, and that the second part (re. weeks ban) applies to all three, and not just boards members.

All three comments were out of line (and I should know, I recently got banned for calling Rob Styles a "wanker")

"Occasions of personal abuse against another board member will result in a one week ban" is the bit I'd see as relevant.

p.pete wrote:
    "Occasions of personal abuse against another board member will result in a one week ban" is the bit I'd see as relevant.
    I don't think Michael Essien is a boards.ie member....

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I don't think Michael Essien is a boards.ie member....
    My bad ;)

but play nicely, I did sponsor you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

# Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at groups of fans or sports personalities people will not be tolerated

What's the problem?

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    What's the problem?
    the next sentence qualifies that arguement with "We reserve the right to edit/move/delete such posts as we see fit."

So basically the charter says (let me paraphrase):

If you make personal/racist abuse against a board member or a group of fans or a sports personality - we will edit/move/delete those posts as we see fit.

Then it goes on to add an extra proviso, in that personal abuse against boards members will result in a one week ban...

Therefore the posts in question, under the charter may have been edited/deleted or moved. As they were not targeted at a boards member - a ban was not warranted.

Could you please provide evidence that Michael Essien is not a member of boards. It does state that abuse will not be tolerated.

Also charter updated to make it EXTRA CLEAR that abuse will not be tolerated in any of it's forms.

Have you ever played football Reactor, players are expected to stick to the laws of the game but also expected to adhere to the spirit of the laws.

Could you please provide evidence that Michael Essien is not a member of boards.

Why must the burden of proof lay with the accused (or in this case, me who is arguing their case)? It is more common that “he who asserts must prove”.

You cannot deny my logical deconstruction of your charter. Judging by your last statement about the rules and spirit - I take it you accept that. Well perhaps in the spirit of misleading charters and fair play the bans should be revoked and the charter edited?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

UEFA will not be taking any action following the Essien tackle on Hamann? They stated that they do not use video evidence and so will not pursure the matter. Chelsea escape again i fear!!!!!

Source BBC 5Live

BrookieD wrote:
    They stated that they do not use video evidence and so will not pursure the matter.

UEFA charge Bowyer for stamp on Malaga player
    Uefa has charged Leeds midfielder Lee Bowyer with "unsporting behaviour" following his stamp on Malaga player Gerardo.

Following a review of video evidence of Leeds' 2-1 defeat to the Spanish side at Elland Road, European football's governing body has started disciplinary action against Bowyer.

Only difference I can see is Bowyer was booked for the challenge during the game.

UEFA bottle it again. Should stand for Useless European Football Association.

More:

Shearer charged by UEFA for alleged elbow
    Newcastle United captain Alan Shearer has been charged by UEFA's disciplinary committee for allegedly elbowing Inter Milan's Fabio Cannavaro during their Champions League clash.

The blow appeared to catch Cannavaro on the back of the head.

A UEFA spokesman said: "Disciplinary proceedings have been instigated against Alan Shearer on the basis of video evidence.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Why must the burden of proof lay with the accused (or in this case, me who is arguing their case)? It is more common that “he who asserts must prove”.

You cannot deny my logical deconstruction of your charter. Judging by your last statement about the rules and spirit - I take it you accept that. Well perhaps in the spirit of misleading charters and fair play the bans should be revoked and the charter edited?

You are correct, I cannot deny your logical deconstruction of the soccer charter. Users will however remain banned. We have precedent on our side. Which I believe is admissable is it not.

You are correct, I cannot deny your logical deconstruction of the soccer charter. Users will however remain banned. We have precedent on our side. Which I believe is admissable is it not.
    What happened to "spirit"?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what I say - I have no authority on boards. The bannings were wrong, your arguements in support of them were specious. You can either be humble about it and do the right thing or stick with the decision that was made (for better or for worse).

Perhaps avoiding "losing face" is in the "spirit" of being a mod on boards.ie? Because fair-play certainly isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Was Sissoko's tackle a little later not nearly as bad as Essien's? They pretty much cancelled each other out IMO. After all, neither was booked.

he won the ball fair and square.

Lemlin wrote:
    Was Sissoko's tackle a little later not nearly as bad as Essien's? They pretty much cancelled each other out IMO. After all, neither was booked.

Two wrongs≠a right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement