Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs. Liverpool

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The posters have two opportunities to be warned. They have two temp bans. Surely that is a warning, would you not consider it fair that before a user is perm banned they should have a temp ban, allowing them the chance to learn from thier mistakes. Or perhaps we could warn a user and then perm ban them. As has already been shown in the change of the access requests system, the mods are open to new ideas as long as they are not just essentially mod bashing threads, saying that the "thought police" will come down on you for expressing an opinion is unfair and I think that the large majority of posters here will agree that the system that is run here is fair.

Here's a novel idea, come up with some reasonable suggestions, put them across in a reasonable fashion, remove the "insert random expletive here" crap make, put a post together and see how it goes down.

Might I just give you a little history lesson thought before you go off on your quest. When we did not operate a zero tolerance policy, it took four mods close on a 2-3 hours a day to monitor, clean up and babysit the soccer board. They were accused of bias, all of the time by those who were banned, those who knew the people who were banned and other random people who just decided to post on threads for the fun of it. Threads often descended into very aggressive bouts of swearing and expletive exchange after which the users were banned but after much complaining and some campaigning by their mates were reallowed access. There were somewhere between 40 & 70 reported posts on a bad day and the mods had to sift through them daily cleaning up, editing posts and being all round wetnurses.

Members of boards who had been involved on the soccer forum for years left in their droves as they did not want to post there anymore quoting their reasons as any between the Signal:Noise being very low and being afraid that any threads that they got involved in would just turn into a spamfest and they would be a target of flaming and trolls.

Now there are two mods, I like to think that we do a decent job, thankfully there is not much to do for the most case and a massive proportion of the 800 or so regular posters are courteous and civil and understand that there is no need to launch into some nature of personal attack on a poster/personality/footballer just because they feel like it. Civility abounds and the number of bannings per month is at an all time low.

If you could suggest a system that was more or less self policing (as is the current one to a large extent). That does not mean that we will have to take on 2 or 3 more mods on a full time basis working shifts to cover all the live long day and alsokeeps my inbox relatively clean then please do, in fact I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Hi Thanx4,

I, like others, appreciate the role that mods play in policing forums. But I agree with what NekkidBibleMan says: why is it that the first recourse is a temp ban? His experience of modding elsewhere is that its overkill.

A temp ban for a week isnt a warning, its immediate punishment, and for something that is subjective, thats harsh. I would suggest the levels of: warning, temp ban (week), ban.

I had no intention of bashing you or the other mods when I used the term "thought police". You are carrying out the current charter rules. The point I made is that the rules are based on subjectivity.

By the way, you used the word (see, or, ay, pee), is that not an expletive and a banning offence?

> Here's a novel idea, come up with some reasonable suggestions, put them across in a reasonable fashion

I've tried to do that. Are you saying something derogatary about me? I could interpret it that way. Is that a banning then? Not that I would report it, I dont report.

> Might I just give you a little history lesson
    I am aware of some of the history as I was here for the closure, etc. A light system, self-policing if at all possible is what we all need and the current system of pm-ing/reporting abuse seems to be working. But, is "giving me a lesson" not a bad thing to say. I could interpret it as such, maybe, if I was a (pee, or, ay, tee). But you can understand the difficulty with subjective interpretation of whats allowed and whats not.

> Now there are two mods, I like to think that we do a decent job

Yes, you do a good job but I would like to see less bannings. I have been affected due to the sponsor-a-poster system via soccer access, as someone that I sponsored had re-registered with a different handle, lurked for a while, then joined the soccer forum and then got themselves banned for something that would have been retractable if given a chance, perhaps. Some people, like George Best was with alcohol, are addicted to expletives and use them interchangeably with words like bad, good, the and a. I didnt even know I was banned for many days, as I wasnt even notified with a PM! Surely that process should change.

> If you could suggest a system that was more or less self policing

I will leave that up to you and other mods that have experience to discuss. I do think that a few more mods on this lively forum would help out. NikkidBibleMan perhaps?

I am of course willing to live with the system thats currently in place, but that doesnt mean it could be better and fairer, as I've suggested.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It was a bad tackle alright but credit to Hamann he didn't make a huge deal out of for examlpe start rolling around on the floor, pissing his pants and sticking alice bands in his hair. I wish football was still a mans game and not this sissy boy version of it that the rules have since made it become. It's bad for the game imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Pigman II wrote:
    It was a bad tackle alright but credit to Hamann he didn't make a huge deal out of for examlpe start rolling around on the floor, pissing his pants and sticking alice bands in his hair. I wish football was still a mans game and not this sissy boy version of it that the rules have since made it become. It's bad for the game imho.

One of the worse tackles I have seen was Gerrards on Naysmith in derby a few years ago. Look where the ball is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

TheMonster wrote:
    One of the worse tackles I have seen was Gerrards on Naysmith in derby a few years ago. Look where the ball is.
    LOL, he's quite close to getting a bit of ball there alright. Can't remember what punishment if any Gerrard got for that - It certainly wasn't enough as far as I remember though as a 'Pool fan I wasn't looking for justice to be done in that instance. Hurendous tackle and not the only bad one Gerrard has done, *touch wood* he seems to have calmed down a bit recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

p.pete wrote:
    LOL, he's quite close to getting a bit of ball there alright. Can't remember what punishment if any Gerrard got for that - It certainly wasn't enough as far as I remember though as a 'Pool fan I wasn't looking for justice to be done in that instance. Hurendous tackle and not the only bad one Gerrard has done, *touch wood* he seems to have calmed down a bit recently.
    3 match ban - lol he even claimed he tried to pull out of the tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I like the way you speculate on the reasons for people reporting posts yet you claim they're not qualified to speculate on what might offend another poster.

Its been said a number of times already, but here it is, straight from the horses mouth:
    I still can't decide what syndrome it is that you have. You certainly stopped that flame war from getting out of hand, Mr "Champion of the Little Man" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Did you feel the buzz, did yah? :cool:

Stevie G certainly got banned for the Naysmith foul. AFAIR it was a 3 match ban, though I'm not positive. He does seemed to have calmed down in the last year or so - dont see so much of him losing the rag and running around like a headless chicken waiting for an opportunity to dive in. Though I doubt its gone althogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I still can't decide what syndrome it is that you have. You certainly stopped that flame war from getting out of hand, Mr "Champion of the Little Man" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Did you feel the buzz, did yah? :cool:

I wouldn't give up the day job just yet, amateur psychology doesn't pay that well.

Advertisement