Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Units

• 06-12-2005 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with GPS units??? I am wondering what the units are like, do they have good coverage in Ireland, especially outside of Dublin City??

Appreciate any advice.

Regards,

Johnniep

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Um, they have good coverage all over the world. Global Positioning system...

It works off of satellites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

I realise this, however I was wondering more about the software that the units run on. All units will triangulate their location off the same satellites, and as a result they depending on the mapping software. How accurate are the various packages i.e TomTom, Co-pilot etc. As far as I know, tomtom are poor for Ireland but I could be wrong.......

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Johnniep wrote:
    As far as I know, tomtom are poor for Ireland but I could be wrong.......

Thanks

That is correct stay away from TOMTOM for Ireland coverage.

The best GPS software is Garmin. This package has all the towns marked and big roads covered.

ViaMichelin I believe have a new update out since November which is supposed to have improved coverage of Ireland. What they mean by improved I don't know

Advertisement