Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL - Newsgroups

• 06-12-2005 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Don't suppose by any chance that NTL's news server carries any binary feeds? It'd be nice if it did but I'm not getting my hopes up...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Does indeed. Is there a particular one you're looking for? If so I'll look and see if its there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I dunno... just in general ?

You know the normal ones, a.b.multimedia, a.b.cd.image, a.b.games, a.b.divx, whatever. Any stats on their retention and completion ?

Now that I think about it I should probably just check the ntlworld forums...

Ah yes, after a bit of searching it seems that they do carry a pretty decent feed of the binary groups and others.

Quality of the service is apparently woeful, reading the NTHell forums, but I can pick up any files that are missing from NTL on my easynews account. *Shwing*.

What are the speeds like pulling from their newsserver ? Any limit to simultaneous connections ?

Anyone got any experience with it at all ?

thanks for the info marvel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 iluvbeer

Hey Demon,

Did you manage to find a list of groups that NTL carry on their servers?
    Would be very handy to know instead of manually trying them all.

Last time I looked it didnt carry multimedia, tv, complete_cd or boneless so I stopped looking :(

Easynews here too but having some decent NTL feeds too would be very nice. :p

Hrmmm... I'll be disappointed if they don't carry them. I *think* they carry complete_cd, it was mentioned on their official webpage about newsgroups! Pretty funny that they would start talking about what you find on binary groups on an official page. When mine goes live I'll fire up my client and get you a alist of groups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

it does (apparently or so I've heard)

Cheers guys,

I'll double check that complete_cd one when I get home, maybe I tried something very similar by mistake. :confused:

Would be great to be able to relegate my Easynews server back to just being for fills but I think that may be a bit too much to expect from a free service.

Theres bound to be some good groups on it, just a matter of finding them.

Yeah, I'm hoping to set up Newsleecher to look first on the ntl server, and if it's missing there to grab it from easynews.

BTW, newsleecher is the best client ever. Get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Would be very handy to know instead of manually trying them all.
    Any client can be used to poll the server for a list of carried groups...

Btw, can you all stop talking about this? Its the best kept secret on the Irish internet.

Good point CiaranC....I'll say no more ;)

• Advertisement

Yay, just got my NTL in there a few hours ago. Two very friendly and knowledgeable chaps.

Speeds are 2.99 mbps and 295k according to irishisptest. Downloading from news.cable.ntlworld.ie at 360k/s as we speak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

im my experience, the NTL newsgroups are very fast. i always get into the 120k's on my 1mb connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

How do you access the newsgroups?

Oh noes! We kept talking for too long, the secret is out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

CiaranC wrote:
    Btw, can you all stop talking about this? Its the best kept secret on the Irish internet.

Its days are doomed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Anima wrote:
    How do you access the newsgroups?

for setting up in outlook express (pc or mac)
    http://www.ntlworld.ie/my_account/news_server.asp

just the settings?
    http://www.ntlworld.ie/my_account/settings.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Cheers :)

I'd strongly recommend using a proper newsgroup client Anima. Check out the free trial of Newsleecher, it's a beautiful piece of software.

GrabIt is a good client too, nice and easy to use. I found it a little bit unstable though, which is weird because noone else seemed to experience the same problems I did with it.

Advertisement