Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC is a joke

Options
  • 06-12-2005 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

Talking from experience, the lc is a piece of p**s. All this 3 hours a day 5 days a week for 2years is bull****. Trust me, just sit in your classes, listen to whats going on, you don't even need to do the homework, then when there's a 2/3 weeks to go cover all the important stuff and you'll easily pull 500+ if you're reasonably intelligent.

All you have to do is filter the knowledge, most of the stuff you do in class is a waste of time and wont come up. You can cover most of the courses in a day or two of solid work easily. Trust me, I did it.

And #1, don't worry about it, you'll be surprised how easy it is when you get there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Well you must have brains coming out of your arse and a photographic memory or something do you?
    Come on, I've never heard of any who has done the Leaving and has done well say it didn't take a whole lot of study and hard work. I'm sure some people find it easier than others to suck in information fast but for the majority of us it is very difficult and requires alot more than 2/3 weeks to learn what is necessary. Bull**** advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i have to admit i didn't buy into this 3 hours a day + malarkly.

i sat in class understood everything going on and done my homework well.

i got what i needed (260 for computer science in DIT) i got 375.

giving someone advice not to study is bad though as how do you know what level of intelligence (for want of a better word) the student is at.
    it's hard to lump everyone into a certain routine some could retain infomation easily while other can't, some may take infomation in more efficently other can't etc etc.

LC is certainly not a joke, i know it's the most cliched saying but "the leaving cert is the most important and speaking from experience the most difficult exam you'll do".

good luck to all sitting the leaving cert this year, don't go mad on studying and remember christmas holidays are for celebrating christmas not for studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

Talking from experience, the lc is a piece of p**s. All this 3 hours a day 5 days a week for 2years is bull****. Trust me, just sit in your classes, listen to whats going on, you don't even need to do the homework, then when there's a 2/3 weeks to go cover all the important stuff and you'll easily pull 500+ if you're reasonably intelligent.

All you have to do is filter the knowledge, most of the stuff you do in class is a waste of time and wont come up. You can cover most of the courses in a day or two of solid work easily. Trust me, I did it.

And #1, don't worry about it, you'll be surprised how easy it is when you get there.

Finally somebody said that I was thinking.;)
    But 2/3 weeks is definitely not enough. At least 2 months would be great!

BTW, there is no advice in your post. This will not work for most of the people. Only for those who can study the right material at the right time without doing something waste work (like homework).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I agree with phantom_lord actually, I didn't really study until we got study leave and I still got well over 500, however I would advise doing your homework anyway. Unless you're going for something like Medicine you shouldn't have to do all those ridiculous hours of study. Having said that, studying now will give you an advantage over everyone else, because chances are that most people aren't really working either

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I know a girl who spent all her weekends in the library studying. Months before the lc, do you really think that she'll remember something she covered on a sat afternoon in the middle of dec?

Short term retention is more important. As long as you just spend the 2years keeping up and understanding what's going on you'll be fine. And certainly don't bother going to leeson street. A was given a set of their 'amazing notes' by a friend who went, they weren't worth the paper they were written on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

deisedolly wrote:
    a photographic memory or something do you?
    #

No, such thing as one of those, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

oh my god like i think i have one of them photographic memories!!I literally sit in class without a clue. but if i read over notes b4 an exam i can remember a good lot.i literally see the page in my head and think oh the answer was up the top and i remember it.it kinda sucks for my long term education though cuz i forget everytin the day after the exam:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

In that case, I don't get it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SpittingImage

oh my god like i think i have one of them photographic memories!!I literally sit in class without a clue. but if i read over notes b4 an exam i can remember a good lot.i literally see the page in my head and think oh the answer was up the top and i remember it.it kinda sucks for my long term education though cuz i forget everytin the day after the exam:-(
    Wish i was the same, can barely remember my last post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

all my friends think im really smart but im sooo not im actually a bit on the dozy side..........!ive just got a good short term memory:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Phantom_lord - "do you really think that she'll remember something she covered on a sat afternoon in the middle of dec?"
    Well, obviously, she won't, but that's beside the point. It's not what study is about. The point of doing some study every night is that you're able to go over everything MORE than once.
    You get a clearer, more comprehensive understanding overall, and then, having a quick flick through your notes the night before will bring it all to the front of your mind.
    A few weeks cramming cannot give you that deep understanding of the subject. Yes, of course, it might work, and you might get grand points, but you'll probably forget everything soon after.
    The only proven method of healthy, useful study is to do a small amount every night - take no nights off. Do an hour or two on Sunday too.
    Trust me, it will help you no end when the exams come around. You'll be a lot more secure and happy, because you'll know that anything that comes up on the paper, you've been through five or six times already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 craiglen

Talking from experience, the lc is a piece of p**s. All this 3 hours a day 5 days a week for 2years is bull****.

look you're all SCREWED if you're only doing 3 hours a day! i wouldn't be where i am now if i didn't kill myself working in 6th year. btw watch out for the dreaded inevitable slump after the mocks which happens to a lot of people... you just run out of steam and can't go on until april that ****ed me up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It depends on the person imo. Some people are able to work there asses off and some people (like me) just can't do any work even if they set time aside to do so. I'll just sit there looking at the page, my mind wanders after at most 30 seconds. I didn't do 3 hours study a day etc, I set aside 90 minutes per weekday from February on but in reality i needn't have bothered as I don't think it did much good. Ended up getting 435 but I'm fairly smart so I guess more was expected of me. Unfortunately my first 2 choices were 435 the year before and one went up to 450 and the other 440. Fairly annoying. I'm just not an academic person though. The leaving cert is certainly not a measure of intelligence. It's a measure of how good you are at doing exams. Obviously inteligence is a factor but in my opinion not the main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

there is also the point that if you learn it properly you'll actually remember it later on, what you learn in some subjects can actually stand to you later in life even if in a completely unrelated field..........

and personally didn't do a tap till i got into 6th year,but i did work in that year(though i did have like 3/4 new subjects...) anyhoo i got my 555 which i was happy with... which at the end of the day is the most important thing imo, if you can be happy with what you achieved yourself everything else will work itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Paul_D wrote:
    Finally somebody said that I was thinking.;)
    But 2/3 weeks is definitely not enough. At least 2 months would be great!

BTW, there is no advice in your post. This will not work for most of the people. Only for those who can study the right material at the right time without doing something waste work (like homework).

Hehe.
    How about two days?
    Its is a sin how little I did for my LC. The LC is a load of cac no matter which way I look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

Hehe.
    How about two days?
    Its is a sin how little I did for my LC. The LC is a load of cac no matter which way I look at it.

Well, two days is not enough for me i want to get 600 points:)

I could go crazy studying like 5 hours a day, then it would take few weeks to get 500-600 points. But I wouldn't survive such torture.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Study alot if you need a high points course. Don't if you're not aiming for 500+. No point breaking your ass off to get 300 but getting higher does give you options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Just because it's easy for some people doesn't mean it's easy for *everyone*, and there's no point in devaluing people's very real worries and fears just because you personally got through it okay.

No, for most people, the LC isn't as tough as they imagine it to be. But that's because it's built up so much that they end up working damn hard and are ready for it. It is a fairly stressful exam in so many ways - be it the cramming so much into that two-week period, or the sheer number and/or breadth of subjects, or having to think about college choices et al at the same time, or knowing that it is an exam that determines a lot in terms of your future etc, or balancing studying with a social life and for many taking advantage of being of legal drinking age *g*, or simply all the hype over it. Having someone say that it's easy is not always a helpful thing.

Because, yeah, some people can get through the exams doing what you did, and do well, and it's pretty much what I did too, but... I've seen too many people have their lives put on hold for a bit because they had to repeat or not end up in the course or at the college they wanted, simply because of not getting the results they wanted, that I'd be very wary of encouraging people en masse to follow that same path.

Advertisement