Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Support....How do you rate your ISP?

• 06-12-2005 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone had any coments they would like to make about the ISP there with and the technical support they offer. What do you really think of technical support that your ISP offer and if you really think there a waste of space:confused:

I here so many people complaining and i do myself from time - time, but i know they are limited in what they can do and they do help if they can, thats what i believe but im sure you get 1/2 who will fob you off as well.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone who have any stories about tech support they have had or does everyone feel the same towards them:mad:

Any good or bad experience's you have had please post. I'm really just interested in the response that this may get and if it is really as bad as some people make.

I would also like members who work in technical support present/past to post there view's on the subject:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Before I go off moaning about NTL customer support do they actually have a technical support section and if they do how come customer support are able to send out an engineer without putting you through to technical support?

If they are the same division then the problem I find is a lack of communication between the 2 sections. I had the same problem last Friday and then on Saturday.

On Friday my Broadband was down the only lights that was on was the PWR light and the D/S light kept flashing. I rang NTL:CS and we went through the usual rebooting procedure. Still the same problem. He said that there did seem to be a problem and would get working on it. Half an hour later it was back on. I have no problem with that.

Then on Saturday morning I had the exact same problem again. So I ring them to let them know. I go through the same procedure again with the same out come but this time I'm told that when ever the SYNC and RDY lights don't come on that automatically they have to send out an engineer??

I explained that I had the exact same problem the day before and it was fixed in half an hour and that they didn't have to arrange for an engineer to come out and was told that it didn't matter and an engineer would have to come out on Monday. So they arranged for an engineer to come out between 9am and 1pm.

Guess what, it was back up and running 30mins later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 freefall20

I have NTL and the cs department are able to determine when an engineer is needed because of the lights on the modem. When the SYNC and Ready lights (the last 2 on the right) are locked on solid this shows that the modem is connected to the NTL network. When one or both of these lights stay off or flash this indicates a fault with the line its connected to which does require an engineer to call. You will also find this happens when they are doing maint or upgrade work on the line. If a reboot does not work and both lights are steady this generally means something on the PC could be blocking the connection or some other fault with the modem (not the line), the tech support I suppose have the means and software to test this so this is when you are passed to Tech Support if a reset fails to sort your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

freefall20 wrote:
    I have NTL and the cs department are able to determine when an engineer is needed because of the lights on the modem. When the SYNC and Ready lights (the last 2 on the right) are locked on solid this shows that the modem is connected to the NTL network. When one or both of these lights stay off or flash this indicates a fault with the line its connected to which does require an engineer to call. You will also find this happens when they are doing maint or upgrade work on the line. If a reboot does not work and both lights are steady this generally means something on the PC could be blocking the connection or some other fault with the modem (not the line), the tech support I suppose have the means and software to test this so this is when you are passed to Tech Support if a reset fails to sort your problem.

That is what I would have thought, but in the first case (Friday) CS did not arrange for an engineer to call out and then on Saturday CS did arrange for an engineer to come out.

In both cases the fault was fixed without the need of an engineer. Therefore an engineer is not needed to fixed this fault. So someone was able to find out what the problem was! The question is who, was it CS or TS. I do believe that after I called them they looked into it found out what the problem was and fixed it but didn't bother to ring me or cancel the engineer visit.

To me this seems to be a break down in communication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Just posted my experience here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

I've never called a technical support line in my life....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'm with IBB - they don't have technical support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

• IBB = Fob you off and you get grey hair and start getting ulsers in your belly (max / average wait 30 mins)
    • NTL = Try to help as best they can ! can be frustrating waiting for the call to be answered (max wait about 20 mins)
    • Eircom = Grand, fast honest answer (average wait 10 mins)

Had all three so far NTL has been the best to respond and act on problems !

Liam in NTL if you reading this your the MAN

Advertisement