Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just ordered NTL

• 07-12-2005 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Now that I am in a NTL broadband area I decided to order NTL select digital (€5.00 extra pm) and broadband. I will get the free 3mb for 3 months and then think of downgrading.

I want a wireless setup as I dont want the engineer drilling through walls and cables everywhere etc. NTL will supply a free wireless Netgear router (they could not give me a model no.) and usb connection to my desktop pc.

What I want is the router to be beside my NTL connection downstairs and my pc in a boxroom upstairs. The sales contact in NTL informed me that I could not have the router beside the TV as it needs to be shielded ? or it would cause interference to my broadband. They informed me that they will run a cable into the room that I have the pc and mount the router there.

Can anyone advise me if I can go with my original plan as the engineer is coming on Sunday week. I know they are mad busy and I am afraid he will do a botch job so he can get on to the next call.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ROVER wrote:
    What I want is the router to be beside my NTL connection downstairs and my pc in a boxroom upstairs. The sales contact in NTL informed me that I could not have the router beside the TV as it needs to be shielded ? or it would cause interference to my broadband. They informed me that they will run a cable into the room that I have the pc and mount the router there.

Sounds like complete BS, wireless lan typically operates at 2.4GHz, NTL cable goes up to only 850MHz max. I have a wireless router next to my cable modem and NTL digital box and it doesn't cause any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

yup.... that is indeed BS. If I read it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The engineer will ask you where you want to put your new box. Then just hook up the router to the modem. When he does come I'd adivse you to have the pc placed beside where you want the incoming connection so that he can test the connection correctly. Then move it back upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Will they give you a free wireless router if you already have bb with them?

I rang about it before and the person I was talking knew very little about wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

I had NTL installed 3 months ago and the engineer wanted to install the modem & router beside the TV! I didn't want that because I didn't want to connect the main PC over wireless, so he the dropped a connection down the roof to the box room. Neat job.
    I'd adivse you to have the pc placed beside where you want the incoming connection so that he can test the connection correctly

Not a lot of point in that. You want it to test and work in the place you're going to use it. If you have no/poor coverage, there is no point in saying it works downstairs...

BTW, the wireless router doesn't have voip port, so I ended up buying my own from Blueface anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I found a reference to other devices possibly interfering with a wireless network,
    but not vice versa.... and no interference to/from the TV.
    So, you probably wouldn't notice any interference, just a drop in the signal quality/speed from your wireless net.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wifihomenetworking/qt/wifichannel.htm

I have to admit, the NTL guys do a very neat job installing the cabling & extra TV point box thingy which connects to your cable modem.
    They ran the cable up the side of my house, and beside a gutter to hide it.

regards,
    Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

ROVER wrote:
    Can anyone advise me if I can go with my original plan as the engineer is coming on Sunday week. I know they are mad busy and I am afraid he will do a botch job so he can get on to the next call.

I never knew that they work on Sunday, you must be lucky.

The last time we had a problem, I rang customer support and was told that next available appointment gonna take me a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Bizarre: I received my modem from NTL Saturday and the engineer's who installed it insisted that NTL don't do wireless. Even their sales desk told me they didn't. I'm in Kimmage, does that matter?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

eoineen wrote:
    Bizarre: I received my modem from NTL Saturday and the engineer's who installed it insisted that NTL don't do wireless. Even their sales desk told me they didn't. I'm in Kimmage, does that matter?:confused:

I was told by NTL that they dont automatically offer wireless and will only supply it if asked. The person in sales had to get approval from the supervisor. I think the approval is just a formaility and anyone can get a wireless router. It appears to be hit and miss as to the product knowledge of the people in sales some just say no without asking the supervisor.

Advertisement