Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recess Lights holes - how to fill

Options
  • 07-12-2005 12:34am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads, the sparks had to move a couple of recess lights holes as they were not correctly positioned, so now I am left with a big hole, any ideas on best way to fill them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well there is a couple of ways,firstly you could stuff the inside with insulation/something so the filler can grab a hold of and build it up from there.Or create an inverted cone inside with filler,what I mean is fill the insides of hole with polyfilla and let set and build it up till its flush.Or cut a piece of plasterboard and thread a string through it,place some filler on either end of it and place in hole and pull on string so the sides will touch inside,let set and fill.

Or go the technical way and look here:http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/vothole.htm

NB:link supplied by Kadman in a previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

This has happened with my house. They filled the original holes but when painted, they are slightly noticeable in that the areas filled come out with a different shade to the rest of the painted ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Expandable foam is another option. When the foam has set cut it back about 2mm from the surface and then fill with polyfilla.

Polyfilla should not be used for filling deep holes - use bonding for that, and again leave it 2mm short of surface and then use polyfilla when bonding has dried to bring it flush with surface.

Done correctly Polyfilla will not show up a different shade to the rest of the surface when painted. I have seen people use polyfilla for deep holes and paint over it thinking it is dry but the center is actually still wet so it gives a different shade.

There is a sanding head you can get for a roller arm - basically it looks like a mop head and you attach sand paper to it which will help you sand the polyfilla to bring it perfectly flush with the surface - unsanded polyfilla will be noticeable, think the technical term is 'flashing'.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks lads, ya had thought of going down the bonding route alright, the finish with the polyfiller.

I have one of the them heads Frank, great job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Expandable foam is another option. When the foam has set cut it back about 2mm from the surface and then fill with polyfilla.

Polyfilla should not be used for filling deep holes - use bonding for that, and again leave it 2mm short of surface and then use polyfilla when bonding has dried to bring it flush with surface.

Done correctly Polyfilla will not show up a different shade to the rest of the surface when painted. I have seen people use polyfilla for deep holes and paint over it thinking it is dry but the center is actually still wet so it gives a different shade.

There is a sanding head you can get for a roller arm - basically it looks like a mop head and you attach sand paper to it which will help you sand the polyfilla to bring it perfectly flush with the surface - unsanded polyfilla will be noticeable, think the technical term is 'flashing'.

Ever use Joint filler Frank. The pros use it for putting up coving. Lethal stuff and hardens relataviley quickly, if you can get a good finish on it with a little paint brush and water, u just paint over it.. I chased out a wall for new wiring. No way would you spot it was ever touched after it was painted..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Tred,

Where u get that, builder providers?

I take it that u have to get ur finish spot on when u are applying it as there is no moving it after?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

hey Tred,

No, haven't used that stuff and not quite sure I get what it is either. Whats the advantages over the bonding&polyfilla approach - is it that you can fill deeper holes and still get a good finish in one application? Can it be sanded?

Can you give a product and brand name cos I'd be interested in checking it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

hey Tred,

No, haven't used that stuff and not quite sure I get what it is either. Whats the advantages over the bonding&polyfilla approach - is it that you can fill deeper holes and still get a good finish in one application? Can it be sanded?

Can you give a product and brand name cos I'd be interested in checking it out?

http://www.gypsum.ie/diy/diyprods.htm

products down near the bottom. they have the finisher there as well. you mix it into a consitency like Dough(bread). Then it fills wonderfully and almost sets once it grips the plaster board, hence it wont fall out on top of you as ur applying it with a putty knife or trowel. Father in law swears by it and u can get it in any reputable builder providers. It finishes to a white, and then it takes paint easily. Great for coving.

Good man Tred, sure u have to heed the father-in-law ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If you have some plasterboard ( you'll pick some up free) use the same size holesaw that he used to put the lights in, drill out a hole in the plasterboarb, put some filler around the edges, this will fit into the hole that he left, you will have to fill the centre hole from the saw but you will have a great fit if anything make sure its either perfect or up into the hole a little, dont have it sticking out anywhere, stick some filler all around the new bit then sand down when dry

• Advertisement
Advertisement