Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic Restaurant in cork

Options
  • 07-12-2005 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

What's a good restaurant in Cork to bring a bird to on a first date?
    tried hillbillies last time but she wasn't too impressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

mentalson wrote:
    What's a good restaurant in Cork to bring a bird to on a first date?
    tried hillbillies last time but she wasn't too impressed.

I think you're sunk already mate. Find yourself a few scraps of tattered cloth and a nice warm, empty cave. It's amazing the amount of women out there that aren't in the slightest impressed with a breast in a bun followed by a good grand parade punchup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Berkel

May I recommend Il Padrino's! Assuming she likes a bit of Italian! The best pasta I have ever tasted...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Il Padrino's is nice - lovely food and nice staff - but it's very cramped.

LOL at Hillbillys for a date.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Like Ken Shabby said, Il Padrino might be too cramped.

How about Isaacs on McCurtain Street? Good general food.

Any kind of cuisine preferred?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

Thanks for the suggestions folks. type of food not too important. italian chinese, thai. fine
    just a place with candles and a nice ambiance. privacy but not too loud

• Advertisement

Strasbourg Goose is nice

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You could also try Greene's on MacCurtain St. - it's just round the corner from Isaac's but a bit more expensive. Nice food & atmosphere, but pricier too.

or Currans maybe.. had a lovely meal in there recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I'll second currans lovely food in there, great for lunches aswell. Also Milanos is good at the end of oliver plunkett st, reasonable enough too for italian food.

Milanos isn't bad but it's hardly romantic. I'd third Currans, there's some lovely dark spots in there suitable for romantics.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Currans where the microwave takes centrestage. For romantic you need somewhere where you can hear it each other talk and not get intruded on so much. A park bench with cheese sandwiches will do for that. Jacobs is nice or Ivory Tower. Milanos is Four Star Pizza with chairs. Star Anise maybe? Any of the good restaurants not in the city are good too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Not Rossinni's! Was in there tonight and we were packed like sardines. 1 hour 50 mins wait for the food. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

Luigi Malones!

On a first date it's very relaxed and you can stay there all night if the conversation is good enough!! As they have the bar there also!!

I do like Luigis, and although it's not small enough to be intimate (and Damien will be along in a minute to criticise the food, the staff, etc), it's still nice enough to be /relatively/ romantic. I'd ask when I was booking when it would be quietest though, otherwise you'll get that annoying chatter the Bodega is famous for over your sweet nothings.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Ruen Thai on Patrick St. is nice, great food and nice atmosphere.. a bit open I suppose.. no dark corners :p

Ken Shabby wrote:
    (and Damien will be along in a minute to criticise the food, the staff, etc)

Or you could do a search on the forum for "damien foodsnob" and find my previous review. I believe I classed the place as a canteen.

I've only been in there once, never have any intention on going back and so I'd completely agree... Either a canteen or a world war 2 soup kitchen anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

How about the Hayfield Manor if you really want to impress her? You could even suggest to stay the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

betelgeuse wrote:
    How about the Hayfield Manor if you really want to impress her? You could even suggest to stay the night.

Put it on your credit card, and the pay it back over 99 years (all the time "enjoying" a high APR)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Bring her to the pub and get sloshed. Stop off for a hillbillys on the way home and then seduce her with the pungent smell of guinness and deep fried chicken.

• Advertisement

Does anybody actually read posts anymore? Is it passé or something? Should we all be posting flip, obvious, already covered responses based on thread titles alone? And more importantly, does my bum look big in this?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Foxyfran

have to agree with Damien, Currens is by no means the best place to eat in town, have been there on a few separate occasions, and found the staff to difficult with deal with, and the food wasnt great..

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

Hmm does it have to be town? cause id recommend ECO in douglas lovely food in a cosy warm restaurant...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Currans. It's either passable or completely crap and I don't like those odds tbh.

Definetaly not jacobs, for the price you pay the food is only alright imo. I would recommend upstairs in the silver key in ballintemple, went there after my sisters graduation on thursday and had a three course meal for 5 totalling €130 euros. The food was lovely and the staff were friendly despite being busy. There were a few nice corners up there also to hide away in.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

damien.m wrote:
    Milanos is Four Star Pizza with chairs. .

You must have a much better local FourStar than I do...

Dimitri wrote:
    I would recommend upstairs in the silver key in ballintemple, went there after my sisters graduation on thursday and had a three course meal for 5 totalling €130 euros. The food was lovely and the staff were friendly despite being busy. There were a few nice corners up there also to hide away in.

Actually I've heard the same from people. Might try it out. It Italian only?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

No its not Italian only. In fact the name is the most Italian part from what I can see...

Has a good seafood range - salmon, brill. What does let it down is the side vegetables - on both occasions we went there the veg was cauliflower,broccoli and unpeeled spuds.

However it is good value for money, the presentation and service are excellent and the quality is good.

damien.m wrote:
    Actually I've heard the same from people. Might try it out. It Italian only?
    Are you insinuating i'm not a person?:)
    No not Italian, though it did have the usual favourites on the menu lasange and pasta in carbonara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Ivory towers if you have the bling

Advertisement