Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access rights for recreational users - Thoughts?

Options
  • 07-12-2005 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

Alright gang,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on access rights for recreational users (I'm talking 'light' users under their own power) and some of the problems being experienced around the country at the moment. I know the original case in Donegal ruined hopes of easing access rights but I'm really worried that given the most recent accident involving those two poor feckers falling off the cliff will only serve to hammer our hopes for the foreseeable future.

Is anyone addressing this to their local government representatives to heighten awareness? I couldn't pledge any real political affiliation but I'd like to see someone other than that bike loving, car hating bunch of Greens taking up the fight at L.G. levels. I know the MCI are trying to arrange hiring an access representative which is a move I'd welcome if they can protect the interests of their members instead of handing bull**** ammo to those who 'own' (a laughable bloody notion in the first place) uplands here in our fair isle.

Any thoughts on this, from either side of the fence so to speak? I understand farmers/land-owners concerns and in many ways would sympathise with them feeling the need to take the defensive line on this issue. But surely government can push for legislation that protects them from others stupidity or unavoidable accidents. How have they managed this in the UK? Anyone?

Gil

[EDIT] Incidentally, my MCI insurance provides me with 3rd party liability insurance which would cover a farmer/landowner were I negligent enough to cause them harm or financial loss as a result of my actions while on their property. To be honest, I won't pay anywone to have access to 'their' land - But I'd consider paying extra to the MCI were it to provide me with an assurance that landowners would accept my insurance and a simple waiver of rights to claim off them if I were to suffer a fall. I'm aware of the risks associated with outdoor pursuits - Surely the MCI should be promoting this acknowledgement and some soft of waiver to landowners and legislators on our behalf. Consider it almost like a 'license' of sorts? Does this make any sense to you folk? Obviously, if I were chased and run over by a tractor I'd have a problem, but tripping while crossing a stile on someone's property - My fault, my mistake, my liability. Maybe I'm just being too bloody reasonable.

Advertisement