Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Brian Wilson Presents Smile

• 07-12-2005 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

It's been over a year since Wilson released Smile, so what are people thinking of it now?

Personally I think it's a fantastic album, would have been amazing if had been released when he was with the Beach Boys, and therein lies my only criticism of it, it would sound much better with the Beach Boys singing on it, Wilson's voice is good, but the others were better, and secondly, some of the "new" lyrics don't tie as well with the concept of the album and I wonder would they have been better off being left unrevised?

Anyhow, these are minor criticisms of what I consider a great album, anyone care to agree/disagree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Have to disagree - I think it's an brutal album. Basically three classic songs with a load of filler and reprises. I'll stick with Pet Sounds, it has stood the test of time. Will anyone be listening to Smile in 40 years? No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Same here... Bought it when it came out and I've harly listened to it at all...
    It is waaay below my expectations.
    I only listen to the last tune really, as ya can see on my sig :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's no Pet Sounds, but that's the best album ever made so that's no embarasment. Smile would still definately be in my top 5 albums of the noughties.

Went to the gig in Cork last Summer and the atmosphere was incredible. Moshing around to Good Vibrations mere feet from the great man himself. I hope to god he comes back next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Bought it week it came out. Found it to be inaccessible pretentious drug addled twaddle then and haven't changed me mind since, either, but I WILL give it another chance. Just not anytime soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I think it's more ambitious than pretentious, and it needs repeated listening to fully appreciate what Wilson was trying to do. The lyrics are incredibly layered, with loads of puns which can be jarring with the overall feel of the record.
    I don't agree that it's basically 3 songs with loads of filler and reprises. Heroes and Villains, Cabinessence, Wonderful, Roll Plymouth Rock, Surf's Up, Vegatables and of course Good Vibrations are, in my opinion, great songs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement