Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMIT college of management and IT

Options
  • 07-12-2005 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Howdy!

I came accross the CMIT web site www.cmit.ie when looking for decent distance learning courses, that dont take *too* long but are accredited also.
    I was thinking of taking the following courses next year...

Certificate in Business Management
    Diploma in Business Practice

Are the certs/diplomas from CMIT any use? are they realistically recognised? Or is it a waste of time? They seem to be a better option than Kilroys but I'm not sure
    Any ideas?

cheers!
    Pádraig.
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The website wouldn't impress me. At least, Kilroys has established a reputation over time. I doubt if CMIT would impress many employers. I don't think there are any shortcuts to decent education.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Likewise, I wouldn't be to impressed by them or their "accreditation". As RainyDay said, there generally aren't any shortcuts here - and while Kilroys may have many faults, they at least have some name recognition!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭padraigcarroll

cool, thanks for the input guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Zsuzso71

BuffyBot wrote:
    Likewise, I wouldn't be to impressed by them or their "accreditation". As RainyDay said, there generally aren't any shortcuts here - and while Kilroys may have many faults, they at least have some name recognition!

Well, but Kilroy's has own accreditation, the CMIT has IAB..(I mean diploma in small business Finance). Am I wrong? :rolleyes:
    By the way, what do you think about the Diploma in Small Business Finance? Accredited by IAB, this is recognised as the equivalent of a FETAC Level 5 Award. I am thinking about a course. The Kilroy's won't be good, because their accreditation in not national. ITEC: bad opinions. I don't want to start too long courses (1-2 years), so I am looking for CMIT. What do U think?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It depends what you're looking for out of it, really.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote:
    It depends what you're looking for out of it, really.

I am looking for a course (bookkeeping), whereby I can work in a part time job beside my main job (factory) then. I found two choice again:
    - IAB
    - ICB
    So, which is more famous here?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bookthief23

Zsuzso71 wrote:
    Well, but Kilroy's has own accreditation, the CMIT has IAB..(I mean diploma in small business Finance). Am I wrong? :rolleyes:
    By the way, what do you think about the Diploma in Small Business Finance? Accredited by IAB, this is recognised as the equivalent of a FETAC Level 5 Award. I am thinking about a course. The Kilroy's won't be good, because their accreditation in not national. ITEC: bad opinions. I don't want to start too long courses (1-2 years), so I am looking for CMIT. What do U think?

Hi Zsuzso71. I've actually done a lot of reserch into this as I to have decided to do the diploma in small Business Finace but wanted to make sure it was recognised before i parted with my money.

Firstly I checked out the IAB website and discovered the CMIT course it accredited through Studyhouse( Studyhouse is whats listed on IAB's website not CMIT itself) , which is the UK licanced awarding body for IAB. This all seemed above board so I said I better check if it was actually recognised in Ireland.

I e-mailed FETEC and after a couple of days they advised the following:

The International Association of Book-Keepers (IAB) is a recognised awarding body in the UK. Its awards are listed on the UK National Database of Accredited Qualifications. This database contains details of all qualifications that are accredited by the UK Government’s regulatory organisations in England (QCA), Wales (DELLS) and Northern Ireland (CCEA). The following

The Irish awarding bodies and qualifications authorities and the UK awarding and qualifications regulatory bodies undertook an exercise to align/cross reference the qualifications frameworks in the UK and Ireland.

This exercise equates UK and Irish award LEVELS as follows:

UK Level 2 award comparable to IRL Level 4 award
    UK Level 3 award comparable to IRL Level 5 award

With regard to award recognition this falls into two broad categories:
    1. Occupational Recognition (for employment)
    2. Academic Recognition (for further study)

Occupational Recognition is a matter for individual employers when recruiting employees.

Academic Recognition is a matter for learning institutions in deciding to admit learners into programmes.
    Academic Recognition is also a matter for awarding bodies in deciding to grant exemptions based on previously certified learning. FETAC grants exemptions from assessment to learners who are studying towards FETAC awards. Exemptions are granted based on previously certified learning issued by bodies with a national awarding status. Bodies with a national awarding status will have their awards on a national framework of qualifications or a similar national system of relating awards.

Should it arise, FETAC will recognise IAB awards in granting exemptions.
    I then said

Sorry, with regards to below ( My internet went down as I was typing! )

So with this info I've decided to go ahead and do this course as it is a recognised qualification.

Hope this helps you to make up you mind Zsuzso71! :)

All the best!

Hi Zsuzso71. I've actually done a lot of reserch into this as I to have decided to do the diploma in small Business Finace but wanted to make sure it was recognised before i parted with my money.

Firstly I checked out the IAB website and discovered the CMIT course it accredited through Studyhouse( Studyhouse is whats listed on IAB's website not CMIT itself) , which is the UK licanced awarding body for IAB. This all seemed above board so I said I better check if it was actually recognised in Ireland.

I e-mailed FETEC and after a couple of days they advised the following:

The International Association of Book-Keepers (IAB) is a recognised awarding body in the UK. Its awards are listed on the UK National Database of Accredited Qualifications. This database contains details of all qualifications that are accredited by the UK Government’s regulatory organisations in England (QCA), Wales (DELLS) and Northern Ireland (CCEA). The following

The Irish awarding bodies and qualifications authorities and the UK awarding and qualifications regulatory bodies undertook an exercise to align/cross reference the qualifications frameworks in the UK and Ireland.

This exercise equates UK and Irish award LEVELS as follows:

UK Level 2 award comparable to IRL Level 4 award
    UK Level 3 award comparable to IRL Level 5 award

With regard to award recognition this falls into two broad categories:
    1. Occupational Recognition (for employment)
    2. Academic Recognition (for further study)

Occupational Recognition is a matter for individual employers when recruiting employees.

Academic Recognition is a matter for learning institutions in deciding to admit learners into programmes.
    Academic Recognition is also a matter for awarding bodies in deciding to grant exemptions based on previously certified learning. FETAC grants exemptions from assessment to learners who are studying towards FETAC awards. Exemptions are granted based on previously certified learning issued by bodies with a national awarding status. Bodies with a national awarding status will have their awards on a national framework of qualifications or a similar national system of relating awards.

Should it arise, FETAC will recognise IAB awards in granting exemptions.
    I then said

All right, but if you see the form of recognised, there are some questions, for excample about the exams of courses. And in the CMIT is no exam....so I don't know...it's so hard to choose. I am thinking now about the IPASS...

Zsuzso71 wrote:
    All right, but if you see the form of recognised, there are some questions, for excample about the exams of courses. And in the CMIT is no exam....so I don't know...it's so hard to choose. I am thinking now about the IPASS...

Yeah, it is hard theres such a lot out there. For me I already work in the small business sector so this suits me to get an understanding for the various terminology when dealing with the auditor etc. But finance would only be one section of what I do and as I have a small family so it suits me to not have to go out to evening classes.

Best of luck whatever you choose!

• Advertisement

Yeah, it is hard theres such a lot out there. For me I already work in the small business sector so this suits me to get an understanding for the various terminology when dealing with the auditor etc. But finance would only be one section of what I do and as I have a small family so it suits me to not have to go out to evening classes.

Best of luck whatever you choose!

I see. I chosed IPASS ditance learning course. :rolleyes:
    You know, I work in a factory, and I have to be flexible, so this way is the best to me. Anyway, I am an economist (I graduated in a hungarian college), but I couldn't find any job in finance sector, because I don't know Irish rules.:( , so....I must start learning anywhere.
    Best wishes to you, too

Advertisement