Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder F'n me about

Options
  • 07-12-2005 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

I thought I had a simple prob, a leaky tap! So under the sink i go to turn off the cold water tap, but it didnt stop the water. After racking my head for a few hours I decided that I'd turn off the main water supply into my house, but I've no T bar long enough to reach. Here's where the trouble starts, I ring the builder of my estate, (here 2 years) and ask why I cant turn off the water, he says I can, so I say come show me then, he says turn off the mains I say I cant cos I need a long handle but to save time I get a plumber out, he also turns knob under the sink, no joy, so he goes to turn off the main inlet, nothing happens, still the water flows, he turns off the two adjacent mains still the water runs. I ring back the builder and for the last 5 weeks he's been promiosing to call, So what to do next? I've a tap I cant replace cos I cant turn off the bloody water and an ass hole of a housebuilder who's now refusing my calls. Any advice? should I report him to the builders federation? or homebond? or just sue him? All I want is to stop a bloody tap dripping!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Your house has a homebond 10 year warranty. CLick on the link below to contact the Construction Industry Federation

http://www.cif.ie/asp/contactus.asp

Best Of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Thanks I'll do that, I'm sick of the bastard now

Any advice? should I report him to the builders federation? or homebond? or just sue him?

You should first of all check that the building is in fact registered with HomeBond. Your solicitor will know. Then you should also obtain a copy of the building agreement from your Solicitor and check up the part about liability for major and minor defects, and matters excluded from the builder's liability. After that you can judge if there's a case or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Your house has a homebond 10 year warranty. CLick on the link below to contact the Construction Industry Federation

http://www.cif.ie/asp/contactus.asp

Best Of Luck
    Conor74 is right. Unless its registered with Homebond there's no point in contacting them. Even if it is registered I dont think they will do anything for you as it is not a structural problem - unless of course the foundation has cracked and cut a water pipe that should not be below it in the first place.

As C74 says, check with your solicitor to see the terms of the contract but again I doubt you will have any luck here if you've been in the house for 2 years.

The only advice I can offer is never rely on phone calls in matters like this especially if it is dragging on. Put your complaint in writing to the builder and send it by registered post. Give him a reasonable time to sort the problem and advise him that if it is not sorted by that time you intend to instigate legal proceedings including moving out of the house and into a hotel until the problem is fixed.

All of this is of course dependant on the house still being under guarantee.

Good luck with it anyway and post back and let us know how you got on.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Feel free to annoy yourself further with Homebond, unless you have a major structural problem they don't want to know and even then they have been known to be slow.

I would get an estimate to correct the bad / faulty works and commence legal proceedings through the small claims court as soon as possible, take care even if the builder is building around the corner it doesn't mean the company that built your house is still trading.

Be thankful it's not a serious problem, at least this way you know you have a fault, it should be possible in an emergency to freeze the pipes and fit a new valve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement