Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped off by heating installer.

Options
  • 07-12-2005 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭

If anyone could advise me on a problem i have, I'd be very grateful.
    I live in the Northeast of the country. About a year and a half ago, i paid a large amount of money (€1500) to have a new burner/boiler put into my house for the central heating as the old one was knackered. A year later, I paid another €700 to get a new tank installed, which i knew was over the odds, but thought it best to stick with the same installer. The engineer who done it was, from the start an arrogant winker. Since the system has been installed, it has broke down about 3 times, and we have been charged for some of the repairs.
    Now, within the past week, the whole thing has shut down again, leaving us with no heating at all. As you know,its quite cold at the moment and there is a disabled person living in the house. I have left about 15 messages since it broke 5 days ago asking him to come and fix it. On the 2 occasions that I rang him and he answered, he said he would be out that night, and never turned up, never rang. Nothing. The latest now is that he answered the phone, said nothing, and when I said hello, he hung up and switched off his mobile. I really feel like I've been screwed.
    At this point, I will say that he never even gave an invoice for the work he done as he convinced my elderly father that "he was doing us a favour" by doing it this way. i know this is stupid, but cant change this now.
    Is there anything I can do about this? Is there anyone i can complain to? I think i have to accept now that I'll have to pay someone else to fix this muppets problems, but I really dont want to let him away with it so he can do the same to someone else.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Have you called round in person to the installer?

Face to Face, he'll have the opportunity to deal with your issue, rather than hide behide a mobile etc...

If you get no joy there, you might have to take it further, but at least you have approached him in person, so he has no excuse.

I'd keep a written account of the calls you've made, date of installation, receipts etc... prepare a file, sounds like you might need it.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks Culcie, I'll give that a shot. I smack myself in the face though when i think that I have no receipts, no invoices for any of the work. I admit I'm an idiot but you live and learn. Any ideas where you can lodge compaints about people like this? I'd hate to think he'll do this to other people.

Advertisement