Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple ibook and broadband

• 07-12-2005 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi...I was wondering if anyone knows what is needed to connect NTL broadband to an Apple ibook...operating system OSX.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

With NTL i think you get a cable modem(small box that they would have provided you with) at the back of this there will be a rj45 connection(like a big phone socket).

You connect this socket to your ibook with a network cable. It should be straight forward.

What equipment did NTL supply you with and we should be able to talk you through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 aisling_d

They set it up for my boyfriend's PC initially with a cable modem (I think) connected to a cable at the back of the tv. But when I connected it to my ibook I had the previous internet access details set up and it wouldn't work. My boyfriend's no help as he knows nothing about Mac and I don't know that much myself either...just learning!
    I checked the internet connection set up and it was talking about DCHP, PPP, manual?????? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

I have an iMac, when they set up NTL at my house, it worked right away without any problems.

The cable modem is connected to the TV-box on the wall. The modem has two ports, a network port and a USB port.

If you have a network running, you can link that modem to a switch, so all the others can use the network connection. A direct connection with a normal network cable to the modem and iBook is not possible, for this you would require a cross-over network cable.

The easiest way is the USB connection. You connect the modem via USB, OS X detects it as a modem, and you set it to DHCP.

And all systems report lift-off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 aisling_d

Ah cheers thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

I strongly advise against using the USB port if at all possible as this will use a significent amount of your iBook's CPU -- slowing it down when using applications and downloading at the same time. This is especially true if you are on a 3mb/s or faster connection.

Have a look at the Apple Support website at http://www.apple.com/ie/support/ for further info.

The following documents might be a good start:

Mac OS X: Connecting to the Internet via cable, DSL, or local area network (LAN)

or

Mac OS X: Troubleshooting a cable modem, DSL, or LAN Internet connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you dont need anything!

The modem's network port supports MDI, inotherwords it can switch from being a crossover to patch with any cable\port setup. Reason being that most peoples setups are a sinlge node computer\modem connection.

Proceedure as follows:

turn on modem
    connect network cable to iBook and modem
    turn on iBook
    use internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

The modem's network port supports MDI

Oh, I didn't realise that! I thought it was only the powerbooks that had such a port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

you dont need anything!

The modem's network port supports MDI, inotherwords it can switch from being a crossover to patch with any cable\port setup. Reason being that most peoples setups are a sinlge node computer\modem connection.

Proceedure as follows:

turn on modem
    connect network cable to iBook and modem
    turn on iBook
    use internet.

Switching location to "Automatic" might help. It's in the Apple menu, top left hand side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

tigerbalm wrote:
    Oh, I didn't realise that! I thought it was only the powerbooks that had such a port.

Im not too sure about ibook vs powerbook MDI, but most if not all Modems, routers etc have MDI ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Im not too sure about ibook vs powerbook MDI, but most if not all Modems, routers etc have MDI ports.

I though all apple network cards are auto-sensing when it comes to this? i've never had a problem (mini,powerbook,ibook,powermac g4 etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Akiraa

I have a Powerbook and no problems using IBB, apart from Ripwave limitations...

Advertisement