Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Low revs under load

Options
  • 07-12-2005 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

My missus has a 3 cylinder suzuki swift. Last time it was driven, when it was put in gear at low revs it didn't respond to the accelerator for several seconds, then a fart or two and finally it took off. It was fine at higher revs and the problem was most noticeable in 3rd gear (but that's probably down to the gearbox ratios). The engine responds instantly in neutral - i.e. the problem only happens under load. Any ideas what to look for? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Think its the same thing that happened my focus, coil went in it, but thats a known focus problem, does it kind of struggle to get power for a few seconds then it gets it and its grand at high revs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

That's pretty much it. It was as if the accelerator wasn't pushed down at all after the clutch was let out, then a moment of power, then stuttering until it picked up revs and fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Its a fault in the high tension circuit, the ignition breaks down under load. Starting with the cheaper things have your plugs checked, then leads, then Rotor then cap.

Finally the coil !

My guess is its either bad leads or bad distributor cap !

Cheap enough to fix !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Thanks MercMad - I figured the load was significant but didn't know why. I know the car is hard to start after rain, so might start with the distributor cap. Cheers!

Advertisement