Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Rich List

• 07-12-2005 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

How many houses does Robbie Fowler own at this stage!
    David Beckham has topped the latest football rich list with an estimated fortune over twice that of his nearest rival, Dennis Bergkamp.

FourFourTwo magazine claims the England captain is worth £75m (€110.75), far outstripping the Arsenal forward who is on £37m (€54.6m) and Newcastle striker Michael Owen, who is third on £30m (€44.3m).

Wayne Rooney has risen to 20th but, with just £8m (€11.8m) to his name, he is a long way short of either of his international team-mates.

Roy Keane may be out of a job at the moment but he is unlikely to go short with wealth estimated at £25m (€36.9m).

Top 20 players

1 David Beckham (Real Madrid) £75m

2 Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal) £37m

3 Michael Owen (Newcastle) £30m

4 Robbie Fowler (Manchester City) £28m

5 Sol Campbell (Arsenal) £26m

6 Roy Keane (Unattached) £25m

7 Alan Shearer (Newcastle) £22m

8 Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United) £20m

8 Ryan Giggs (Manchester United) £20m

8 Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United) £20m

11 Thierry Henry (Arsenal) £18m

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I wonder how the hell do they work these things out.

I'd love to see a breakdown of each figure between:

Wages:
    Signing-on fees:
    Sponsorships:
    Property investments:
    Share investments:
    Business ventures:
    Anything else?

And I'd presume the mag would have had to come up with an estimate for each of the above to reach their final figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

How is robbie fowler 4th? Is this an accumaltion over a number of years? I believe he is still on huge wages as leeds are still paying part of his wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

mchurl wrote:
    How is robbie fowler 4th?
    I thought he was higher tbh, he's amassed a large property empire and has other business dealings - football probably rates fairly low on his tax returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i was reading somewhere that fowler has has a fortune of 100 million+ as he is in the stud business too and he made good use of the money he has made over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

1. Roman Abramovich (Chelsea) - £10bn (Oil Industry)
    2. Joseph Lewis (Tottenham) - £2bn (Finance)
    3. Dermot Desmond (Celtic) - £867m (Finance)
    4. Alan Sugar (Tottenham) - £760m (Electronics)
    5. Malcolm Glazer (Man Utd) - £735m (Investment)
    6. Trevor Hemmings (Charlton/Preston) - £730m (Property)
    7. The Walker Family (Blackburn) - £680m (Steel/Airline)
    8. David Sullivan (Birmingham) - £575m (Publishing)
    9. David Murray (Rangers) - £550mill (Metals/property)
    10. David Gold (Birmingham) - £515mill (Books/Erotica)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

galwaydude wrote:
    i was reading somewhere that fowler has has a fortune of 100 million+ as he is in the stud business too and he made good use of the money he has made over the years.
    And he saves the pennys by carrying his gear to training in a black bin-liner :)

haha at least he hasnt buggered his wealth down the drain, shame i cant say that about his talent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I assume this is the Rich list for only english/english based players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

galwaydude wrote:
    don't know about £100m, but he has got over 100 houses. He bought up streets of houses in run-down parts of the North of England for feck all (like figures of under £10k per house) and he's made a fortune from them.

Michael Owen copied him and I think he'd about 80 houses, the last I heard.

eirebhoy wrote:

What does abramovich do with his money?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

mchurl wrote:
    How is robbie fowler 4th? Is this an accumaltion over a number of years? I believe he is still on huge wages as leeds are still paying part of his wages

He owns hotels in England and Scotland and over 84 houses in the Oldham area.

Fans delight in teasing him about his property portfolio, singing, to the tune of 'Yellow Submarine', 'We all live in a Robbie Fowler house'.

He has also pursued an interest in horse racing, forming the Macca & Growler Partnership with McManaman and owning a string of horses, of whom the best-known and last survivor is Seebald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Suppose it goes to show you that it's what they do/did outside of football. Remember watching a documentary on past players and what they are doing now. Neil Webb who played for Forest, United and England is driving a lorry:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Does Alan Sugar still have anything to do with spurs? I thought he got in a big pisser with the fans and sold his shares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

garred wrote:
    Neil Webb who played for Forest, United and England is driving a lorry:eek:

No he's not he's a postman now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No, he's my butler. I pay him a shiny new penny everyday.

Sorry about that, its probably quite disrespectful to a former player. Yeah, on the fowler thing, read his book and he's had brilliant advisors so has dealt with his money very carefully right from the beginning. Dont think he really pissed away his talent, has just been horiffically unlucky with injuries, and, well, Houllier..

fair play to fowler, he must have a shrewd business head on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Fowlers wife also owns a string of adult stores....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Does Fowlers book go into much detail about his business dealings and property portfolio? Would be an interesting read I'd imagine..

Read Giggsys book recently, not exactly edge of the seat stuff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

sharkman wrote:
    He owns hotels in England and Scotland and over 84 houses in the Oldham area.

Fans delight in teasing him about his property portfolio, singing, to the tune of 'Yellow Submarine', 'We all live in a Robbie Fowler house'.

He has also pursued an interest in horse racing, forming the Macca & Growler Partnership with McManaman and owning a string of horses, of whom the best-known and last survivor is Seebald.

'We all live in a Fowler housing scheme' sounds better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

eirebhoy wrote:

I guess that is just owners for UK based teams because Phil Anschutz who owns 4 clubs in MLS is worth about $5mil.

• Advertisement

what clubs does he own btw ?

FatherTed wrote:
    I guess that is just owners for UK based teams because Phil Anschutz who owns 4 clubs in MLS is worth about $5mil.

$5 mil?? That wouldnt even get him on the list, do you mean $5 billion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

you would have to imagine so

shepthedog wrote:
    $5 mil?? That wouldnt even get him on the list, do you mean $5 billion?

Yeah, meant it to be $5 billion. Anschutz or as he is known in US soccer circles as Uncle Phil for pumping money into MLS owns the Metrostars, LA, Chicago and San Jose. Also owned DC United until recently. So at one time he owe 5 of the then 10 teams in MLS when the league went through some rough patches but it has turned the corner and things are certainly on the way up.

He is also is the driving force in the building of a number of new footie stadiums for his clubs, the Home Depot Center in LA was completed last year, a new stadium in Chicago will be finished this year and work on the new stadium in New Jersey for the Metrostars will be starting shortly.

Also with the MLS clubs, he also owns the LA Kings, Manchester Monarchs, Berlin Eisbaren(all ice hockey), the Staples Center in LA and a ton of other concert and sports venues. Also owns Regal Cinemas (500 cinemas in the US), a film production company (films include Ray, Narnia etc).

Oh and he was the CEO (maybe still is) of Qwest.

Not short of a few dollars is Uncle Phil.

have you been to a game yet overthere. Once i move over in feb i will try and get to a few new england revolution games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

1 David Beckham (Real Madrid) £75m

2 Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal) £37m

3 Michael Owen (Newcastle) £30m

4 Robbie Fowler (Manchester City) £28m

5 Sol Campbell (Arsenal) £26m

6 Roy Keane (Unattached) £25m

7 Alan Shearer (Newcastle) £22m

8 Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United) £20m

8 Ryan Giggs (Manchester United) £20m

8 Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United) £20m

11 Thierry Henry (Arsenal) £18m

We all know how many of them made their fortune, its well documented. Beckham, Fowler, Owen, etc. Keane has been on huge wages for years, so has Shearer and he has reportedly a boot deal until he is 41 or something. Campbell obviously made a packet in his free transfer to Arsenal. But Bergkamp?????????
    How has he got in there? I know he has been in the game a long time, but what is he known for accumulating the firtune he has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

shepthedog wrote:
    Read Giggsys book recently, not exactly edge of the seat stuff..
    In the middle of reading it..... quite poor actually....

Sorry off topic!

Just a question on the list of investors/club owners - is this their wealth or how much they have invested??

Tom

I would love to see a detailed break down of these figures. How do they come to the final total? It seems a bit random and too much of a vague guess..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bergkamp is one of those very rare creatures: a footballer with intelligence.

He's also been playing top flight football for Ajax, Inter Milan and Arsenal for nearly 20 years. Combine that with being a massive idol at Arsenal, Ajax and in the Netherlands in general... well, it's going to earn you a few sponds.

• Advertisement

galwaydude wrote:
    have you been to a game yet overthere. Once i move over in feb i will try and get to a few new england revolution games.

yeah I go 4-5 times a season to see the Metrostars. Steve Nicol is the coach of the Revs, they're actually a pretty decent team. In a strange twist, Mo Johnson is now coach of the Metrostars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I know it's a lot of money for these players but at the same time I doesn't seem like a lot considering they are they are the best in the world at what they do and work in an industry worth billions.

Compare it to Hollywood where John Travolta only has to go out and make yet one more rubbish movie and as a result he's just made more than Henry has in his entire career.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

mchurl wrote:

I ve heard that he is on about £45k a week for Man City. I wouldnt mind but hes absolutely muck. Since he left Liverpool hes never been the player he was and he wasnt too hot for his last couple of years with them either.
    How is keano not worth more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

shepthedog wrote:
    I would love to see a detailed break down of these figures. How do they come to the final total? It seems a bit random and too much of a vague guess..

One of the things they do is add up their wages since they started, so it can only be accurate if they never spend a penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Pigman II wrote:
    I know it's a lot of money for these players but at the same time I doesn't seem like a lot considering they are they are the best in the world at what they do and work in an industry worth billions.

Compare it to Hollywood where John Travolta only has to go out and make yet one more rubbish movie and as a result he's just made more than Henry has in his entire career.

How many actors make millions per film? Think of how many footballers make a few grand or more per week. There's a lot more footballers to share the money. Also, a film that say john travolta is in can generate a lot more money than a player can for a team. Footballers wages have crippled a few clubs and could potentially cripple a lot more so they're overpaid if anything.

Advertisement