Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registering hostname in DNS?

• 07-12-2005 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭

Heya,

I was wondering if anyone knows the solution to this. I've a linux box that receives an IP address from a DHCP server but uses its own hostname. On Windows, there's an option in network settings to "Register this hostname in DNS". Does anyone know how to do the equivalent on Linux?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

I'm not exactly sure what you mean...

However, you could try to run this as root

/etc/init.d/named start

This will start a caching-only nameserver in most distributions, that should do all you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Okay, well, at the moment, I need to get my co-workers to enter my IP and hostname into their hosts files, before they can access my machine by its hostname. I want to be able to register my hostname with the lab's DNS server so they don't have to do that. Windows machines currently do that, but I haven't found the option in Linux to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

I think in that case you have to open the hosts file on the lab's DNS

/etc/hosts

and enter the IP adress and the name of the machine to that file, and just to be sure, restart the DNS server (the daemon, not the entire computer).

That's how I solved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

What dhcpclient are you using? There are several.
    pump and dhclient are both very common.
    It depends on which ditribution you use,
    so that's the first thing to let us know.

If you have a file called dhclient-eth0.conf (or eth1, whatever)
    in /etc/ or /etc/dhcp/ look for a line like:

send host-name "insertyourdesirednamehere";
    and make sure it's not commented out.

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

if your mates are using windows systems, you prob want a netbios name, running samba on your machine will give you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

This may have helped with your problem H.,
    but the dns server doesn't read from the /etc/hosts file,
    so this won't help here.

All that happened is that your nameserver now knew where the host was.
    It still wouldn't have been able to answer a lookup through dns.

NiallB
    HomunQlus wrote:
    I think in that case you have to open the hosts file on the lab's DNS

/etc/hosts

and enter the IP adress and the name of the machine to that file, and just to be sure, restart the DNS server (the daemon, not the entire computer).

That's how I solved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you're using redhat/centos (probably fedora also) adding
    DHCP_HOSTNAME=myhostnamehere

to the
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

will allow this argument to be used in your ifup script in the same directory

Then
    service network restart
    to actually activate.

This assumes that you have your windows DHCP server setup to pass this info to your windows DNS server.

administrative tools/DHCP
    Right click on the dhcp server. Choose properties
    DNS tab
    Make sure
    'Automatically update DHCP client information in DNS'
    Always update DNS

Advertisement