Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Meteor

• 07-12-2005 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭

Not sure this is the correct forum so apoligise beforehand if it is not.

Just wondering that since Meteor now use some of the O2 network are they any good ??

From people's experience is this a network that has improved and would be worth considering or would one be better off sticking with O2 / Vodafone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Id stick with O2 coverage is gran just everytime i get credit there chargin me 60c a mesage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Meteor use their own network most places, and switch
    to O2's network in the few places they have no coverage.

I switched to Meteor last month after being with Vodafone/Eircell
    for years. I'm very happy. Meteor's coverage is much better
    where I am than Vodafone's.

For the first time in years I can use my phone at home,
    and it's saving me a fortune on diverted calls.

Other areas I've noticed very little difference.
    One spot in Clondalkin (Polly Hops) with poor Meteor coverage
    is the only major one I've found, and I do a lot of driving around
    Dublin, Meath and Kildare.

Flat rate call minutes are easier to get your head around as well.

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ciaran76

mburke wrote:
    Not sure this is the correct forum so apoligise beforehand if it is not.

Just wondering that since Meteor now use some of the O2 network are they any good ??

From people's experience is this a network that has improved and would be worth considering or would one be better off sticking with O2 / Vodafone.

I am with O2 (out of contract)but was thinking of changing to Meteor too. My girlfriend changed about 1 month ago and everytime she rings me it seems to get cut off or i miss about 5 secs of conversation (which can be usefull!!!:p ) and need to ring her back to ask what she was looking for.

I have now decided to stay with O2 because of this.

Could be just my area (D15) but thats my experience so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Found their coverage fine with the exception of no signal on the outskirts of Enniskerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Found their coverage fine with the exception of no signal on the outskirts of Enniskerry. But they show that as a black spot on their coverage map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

ciaran76 wrote:
    it seems to get cut off or i miss about 5 secs of conversation (which can be usefull!!!:p ) and need to ring her back to ask what she was looking for.
    yeah I am with meteor for over a year now, and this can happen the odd time. I asked meteor to check it out.. they said there was nothing wrong.

Having said that.. there's no way I'd switch back to vodafone. I'm not using anywhere near as much credit!! Defo happy with meteor!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I've tried all three (oops, forgot about 3) and found Meteor to be the best so far, both in terms of coverage and pricing.

I travel a lot between Laois, Kildare and Dublin and only found two bad spots - one at the canal between Newcastle and the Naas road and the other one on the Naas road about 5 miles the Dublin side of Kildare.
    Both spots only last for a couple of hundred yards so it's not an issue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭gearbox

liamskater wrote:
    Id stick with O2 coverage is gran just everytime i get credit there chargin me 60c a mesage

that wouldnt be the network charging you mate, you've subscribed to sumthin if u knew it or not so whatever network your on thats gonna happen unless u change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've been with Meteor for ages and rarely have problems, coverage or otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

meteors coverage can be slightly dodgy in dublin 15 but i think it has something to do with the phones too. in the pub a few weeks ago i had full coverage and my mate had none

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

nope havnt it happens on and off some times 9c sometimes 50 60 once it was 2euro im gona change as soon as o2 get 3Gin jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

BigCon wrote:
    I've tried all three (oops, forgot about 3) and found Meteor to be the best so far, both in terms of coverage and pricing.

I travel a lot between Laois, Kildare and Dublin and only found two bad spots - one at the canal between Newcastle and the Naas road and the other one on the Naas road about 5 miles the Dublin side of Kildare.
    Both spots only last for a couple of hundred yards so it's not an issue...

Seeing as the first one of those is the same spot as the one I mentioned
    - PollyHops is at the end of the Nangor road where it meets the Newcastle road -
    it looks like Meteor are doing pretty well on coverage!

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

liamskater wrote:
    nope havnt it happens on and off some times 9c sometimes 50 60 once it was 2euro im gona change as soon as o2 get 3Gin jan

That sounds like a load of baloney. PM me and I'll check it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

We have been with Meteor for about 6 months now after moving from O2 and it was the best thing we did.

My mobile bill use to average about €170 per month and my wifes about €40. Our monthly average total bill (2 phones) for the past 3 months with Meteor = €90

That's an average monthly saving of €120. This works out as € 1440 annually.

Our telephone useage has remained the same.

As for coverage - I am mainly in Dublin but travel around the country every now and again and have not encountered any unusually high "out of coverage" moments. In fact I can only remember this happening twice to me (outside Ninemilehouse in Tipperary and one spot on the Belgard Road in Dublin).

Before anyone thinks it - No I do not work for Meteor. I just sing the praises of a company that provides what I think is a good service.

Interesting to see what happens when Eircom jump in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've been with them after trying the other 2 major companies.

I travel a bit with work to places like Carrick-On-Shannon, Kilkenny and Limerick the only place I've had poor coverage was out side the Masonite factory in Carrick-On-Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've cut my bill from approx E45 per month to E30 by switching to meteor from Vodafone and I'm very pleased with them. No major reception problems in Cork anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

I switched about 6 months ago and find it much better than Vodafone. Hardly any coverage issues, not one "network busy" and they're cheaper too. Not the most up to date with handsets though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

I have been with all 3 major networks and i have to say meteor is the best by far. For me reception has been pretty much the same. In my area vodafone was prob the worst with not much to choose between O2 and Meteor. I changed to meteor about 14 months ago and have had no problems with them. any problems i had with O2 and vodafone were dealt with very badly by their customer care team. Also I now have free messages to other Meteor customers for life every time i top up with €20. In the last 6 weeks i have sent close to 3000 messages and have only spent €40 on credit and i still have some credit left over. I would recommend meteor to anyone who is fed up with O2 and Vodafone. They have very nice phones like the k750i and the w800i. Im using the k750i and it is by far the best phone ive ever had

Advertisement