Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Budget

Options
  • 07-12-2005 1:59pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What time is kick off....and what do you expect....?My top interest is any childcare package.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Not sure of KO, it's not on RTE yet though....

I want a few things I earn an average enough industrial wage from what I hear and I DO NOT want any income-tax cuts. I want direct taxation to remain the same. I want the fcuking money to be spent wisely on things, that's all I want, not too much to ask eh?

Although I'm not a parent, I would like to see something done about childcare too-we've got to get imaginative in this area. I really want transport infrastructure, particularly rail based public transport in Dublin to be addressed, fast-tracking (sorry) the T21 schedule wrt. the Interconnector in particular. I want proper public services for everyone and en efficient public service to execute them. That's not too much of an ask from a private sector employee like myself who ultimately pay for the civil service.

I would really like to see increased government investment in university incubator sites to develop indigenous knowledge based businesses here in Ireland-we must focus on the future which will not be based around low-cost manufacturing as in the past. The government must take the lead on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

It starts at 3.45 p.m. Coverage on RTE1 from 3.30 p.m.

It is expected to be 1 hour 15 minutes long - rather than the usual 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

What annoys me is that opposition spokepeople never find anything good to say on a budget.

You never get "well done" or "Good Idea".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Enda Kenny:"ahh, well done on the budget, Brian, it's a very good one"
    Brian Cowen (surprised) : "Really, Enda, do you mean that?"
    Enda Kenny: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Cork wrote:
    What annoys me is that opposition spokepeople never find anything good to say on a budget.

They're politicians whadya expect - there is a general election in the next 12-18 months, why on earth would they say -well done. In their minds thats the same as saying - sure this lot are doing such a good job ye should vote them in again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Cork wrote:

Just as annoying though when government never say "whoops I did it again" or " I messed up "

He just mentioned that in his introduction, wonder will VAT or VRT be reduced?

Spending on infrastructure will be 5% of GNP-highest in the Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

LOL. Brilliant.

It's not the budget anymore It's keeping to targets.

The budget isn't going to be radical I don't think.

David McWilliam's article about the budget was dead on, the Budget is just a huge PR deal with little substance it not like its the 1980's or 1990's where the government own every company in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Cork wrote:

Cuts both ways Cork. Care to point out the number of Private Members Bills that have passed successfully through the Dail in the history of the state?

• Advertisement

Who's the bag lady sitting behind Bertie? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Who's the bag lady sitting behind Bertie? :eek:

haha Minister for PVC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

i missed the bit on Social Welfare what was it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

1000 a year tax free each year for under 6's paid quarterly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

ArthurDent wrote:
    1000 a year tax free each year for under 6's paid quarterly

loving that...might try and convince the missus to have more....preferabbly triplets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Really intelligent, constructive comment recklessone !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Washout wrote:
    loving that...might try and convince the missus to have more....preferabbly triplets :)

Sure it's as good an excuse as any:)

Buy Mothercare shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Culchie wrote:
    Sure it's as good an excuse as any:)

ahhhh need the money for my bankroll culchie
    Culchie wrote:
    Buy Mothercare shares.

lol thats a good one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

bet the cost of childcare goes up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Most social spending seems to be up around 8-9%, all indirect taxes frozen.
    Small help for alternative energy production, a number of tax avoidence loopholes being abolished, lots of "section 23" type schemes being dropped over a 2 year period. Standard Rate income tax limits raised, all those on minimum wage will be out of the tax net.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Budget wrote:
    Minister called on to clarify reports of 'lock in' on Budget night
    Monday December 6th 2004

FINANCE Minister Brian Cowen has been called on to clarify weekend newspaper reports which claimed he hosted an illegal drinks party in a pub until 3am, after delivering his first Budget.

Reports in Sunday newspapers claimed that Mr Cowen, along with Malahide TD, G V Wright, former junior minister Dr Jim McDaid, and Senator Timmy Dooley, enjoyed post-budget drinks well into the early hours in the upstairs lounge of Foley's pub and restaurant, Merrion Row, Dublin.

Till receipts from the bar showed that five drinks - including gin and wine - were bought at 1.32am last Thursday morning at Foley's. Witnesses alleged that the minister left the pub premises at 3am and was brought home by his garda driver.

Under the law, the pub - which is a favourite with some political figures - should have been cleared by midnight on the night in question unless a special exemption licence had been taken out.

These licences must be applied for and granted in advance and licence holders must provide guests with a meal as well. However, Sunday newspapers claimed that no such licence was in force at the pub to cover this occasion.

Last night, a spokesperson for the Department of Finance could not confirm or deny the reports.

"I cannot confirm or deny this story. However, keep in mind that the minister had a very tough schedule the next day which started with a 7.30am meeting of the Parliamentary Party.

"He then also had to take questions from the public on the Budget on the Pat Kenny radio show at 11am," added the spokesperson.

However, Labour's Finance spokesperson, Joan Burton, said that the situation needs proper clarification.

"First of all, I would be very surprised if this report was true and I am not rushing to judge on this. It is possible to have a private party in a pub after hours if a licence has been granted.

"However, the minister needs to clarify the situation and I think that he should clarify it," she said.

Fine Gael Justice spokesperson, Jim O'Keeffe, said: "Similar to the speeding offences, it's important for members of the Government to be aware that the laws of the land apply to them in the same way as anyone else."

Isabel Hurley
    But isn't 3 am too late for Jim McDaid and G.V.Wright to catch the last night bus? So I'd guess there's little truth in this story.

Brian Cowen has been called on to clarify weekend newspaper reports which claimed he hosted an illegal drinks party in a pub until 3am, after delivering his first Budget.

Lets grab our Torches & Pitchforks and go immeditely to the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

To be honest im surprised they didn't re-introduce college fees to pay for the childcare benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

What's that I hear?
    No increase on booze or fag?!?

*does the happy smoker dance*
    *wheezes*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

personally for me it was an alright budget, no increase on cigarettes or booze. but you know the shops will jack up the price of the fags and the pubs will still jack up the price of a pint so what reall difference will it make.

Section 23 schemes to be abolished, don't know if this will be good for employment in the construction industry

and all these new fangled allowances for child care will do jack except create inflation within the childcare industry.

only thing good that came out of it really was the tax credits going up. union subscription going up by 50 percent as well as private rented accomodation allowance giong up. also blind/disabled person's tax credits going up as well.

should be a nice little lump sum come february or march when they are implemented.

one concern however, these massive increases in unemployment benefit might dissincentivise people to go out and work.

Minister called on to clarify reports of 'lock in' on Budget night
    Monday December 6th 2004

FINANCE Minister Brian Cowen has been called on to clarify weekend newspaper reports which claimed he hosted an illegal drinks party in a pub until 3am, after delivering his first Budget.

Either clairvoyant journalists or poor journalism, how did they know of a post-budget lock in at least three days in advance?

:eek:

This €1000 a year for every child under 6, anybody care to explain how this can be included in a childcare package? Rather than risk the ire of stay at home parents they're handing the cash out regardless of childcare needs. Very poor IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This €1000 a year for every child under 6, anybody care to explain how this can be included in a childcare package? Rather than risk the ire of stay at home parents they're handing the cash out regardless of childcare needs. Very poor IMO.

They seem afraid to isolate any group of mothers so just came up with blanked payment.Which works out fine for me but if you are paying 800 plus a month for childcare its not exactly a huge payment.

The thing is this is not an election budget so except a huge giveaway next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It's nice to see Mr. Cowen reintroduce Tax Benifits on Children after Mr. McCreevy got rid off them. Happy Xmas kids.

This Xbox 360 comes courtesy of the Irish Government.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    but if you are paying 800 plus a month for childcare its not exactly a huge payment.

Its a help. The state has absolutely no obligation to provide childcare for children. The €1000 will help many out.
    Rather than risk the ire of stay at home parents

Stay at home parents are providing a good service as well.

Their work deserved recognition.

Advertisement