Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Door

Options
  • 07-12-2005 2:03pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Anyone recommend a joiners where I could get a wooden door made, it is a standard rectangular door with a gothic door design embedded in it. I have been fupped over major time here and am in bad need to get his made asap.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Hi Yop, sorry to hear about your door dilemma. Have you tried any local joineries. I knew some over our neck of the woods here on the east side but not anyone over your direction. Some joineries are good but I guess with all the hassle you seem to be having over the door you need to get a recommendation. Hope someone can help you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thank BW,

Yip had a look around but giving me 8 week lead times!!

I have a place in the UK that will do it in 4 weeks but I am finding it difficult to get a carrier to take it from them in sheffield and bring it to Mayo.

The "Joy of a Self Builder" ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Jaysus Yop,

If I'd known you were willing to wait so long, I'd have made it for you earlier, and to your original spec, true Gothic.

Whats the spec on the door now. Is it door , frame , locks, hinges ect, finishes ect or just the door.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Coll Bog oak deer kadman, It made me feel sorry for not paying attention during woodwork classes, :(

Hi Netwhizkid,

I'm glad you like it, its one of my favourite pieces too.:cool:
    Its never too late to learn woodcarving, and its not as difficult as some people imagine. If you still have a yearning for it , give it a go. Lots of help on the woodcrafts forum.

Sorry for going ot Yop. If you dont get it sorted by christmas, let me know, and I might get a chance to do it for you, if you are in a position to wait a bit.

kadman:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Kadman

I have now had to go away from the gothic look lad, well sort of, what we are at now is a standard door frame, 1500 wide, with 2 side lights and a square door, with a gothic inset, as per below

What sort of a lead time do u think u could ship this out, mahogony would be spot on, oak is a bit out of the budget I think!!!

http://www.distinctivedoors.co.uk/bigpage/tripleglazed/westminster.htm

As I said to BuilderWoman, the pure dishonesty of these guys was beyond belief and to cap it last Friday I rang and they said it was ready, when my da made the 1 hour journey they asked him to go back in 1.5 hours, when he did the were only cutting the wood.

Been going on now since end of June, I have the frame but I think I might fuk it outside and let them collect it, don't want anything to do with them. Sorry for the rant but the spinelessness of these guys is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Nice door Yop. I take it this is the one you are buying and shipping?

Regarding the joinery guys. I would tell them to foo off - you know cowboys like that understand nothing else. They are too thick to be in business and don't deserve any more of your time. Guys like this need the economy to change and then they might learn a thing or two about looking after customers....or at least being honest with them! Rant over to me too!!!!!!

Hi Yop,

Are you gonna name and shame these joiners.

I was looking at your door on the site. Just a query for you. Is the centre panel a pvc insert , or solid timber. From the leaded glass view, it looks like the grain of the surrounding frame, runs down, and follows the same lines on the arched moulding. This leads me to think that it may be a foil wrapped panel, or pvc insert. But I could be wrong. I cant find any detailed spec on the door, maybe you have more.

My own workshop is off line at the moment. rewire, new machine, and heating over the christmas. So I cannot give you a definite time unfortunately, at the moment.

Maybe there are couriers that are returning from England that could do a pick up for you. Try the services for sale forum.

kadman.

Thaks Kadman,

This is a pure solid mahogany door, no pvc inserts.

These guys are called Donellans in Claremorris, a shower of fkn cowboys,
    At this stage I am tempted to put in the mahogany door frame they gave me and get a door to suit.

If they ring me about it then I will say grand, bill me. If they don't well fup them. The door opening in the frame is 34" so I reckon that should be standard..

I thought that the www.dublindoorstore.ie might be able to help me out but it seems they do not do anything bespoke.

So u are out of business, not to worry, thanks anyway lad

Hi Yop,

I will be up and running after the chrimbo. I hope to get the wiring , and heat sorted over the christmas. I'll pm you when I'm ready, and if you are not sorted by then, I'll do it for you, no problem.

kadman

• Advertisement

Grand Kadman,

I am going to make my decision over the next day or 2, the place in UK will do it in 4 weeks so I will probalby go with them.

Thanks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

Hi Yop
    Finally got myself registered here....

Re your door experience, that is a pain in the butt!
    I am discovering with our house build that attempting to get anything out of the ordinary is proving very difficult.
    (internal doors at present).

You could try contacting www.irishhardwoods.com for a joiner/s that may be able to help you.
    It is the business/production section of Coillte.ie.
    Afaik, mahogony is not one of the timbers but if you get a list of joiners I am fairly sure you would find someone who may be able to help you.
    Very best of luck and sorry to hear you have been let down by the original crowd.
    Regards
    tobi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

Me again
    Just another thought, but may be no help, as just had a quick glance at website and they don't do Mahogony either, but again you never know till you ask.
    We got our windows and doors from this crowd;
    www.sorpetaler.de
    They have some excellent choices and I love our door!

Best of luck
    Tobi

Cheers Tobi, welcome to DIY boards

Advertisement