Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What d'you say ?PYOOJOE or purrgeot ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Pyoooojoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Wot about DayWoo ? oh, no need, they've been re-badged as crapsler, err, chrysler.... (first pronunciation was probably correct :) )....

That'll be the Day-woo.... :D

Off topic, does anynoe get damnably narked by that Hyundai add ? Oh how long for touch-radio where i can reach in and shake the narrator of the ad gently by the throat..:D Hyundai-Ads..."Annoying People..."....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You can see why Ford chose to call one of its madels a .........KA !! ;)

MercMad wrote:
    You can see why Ford chose to call one of its madels a .........KA !! ;)

Yep, tacky choice of name tho. Good to drive I hear ? handling's supposed to be superb (seen Dead, Me & in a Ka in the same sentence notwithstanding o'course :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

They call them pway go in canada. And the english call them per zhoes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

peckerhead wrote:
    They're French names, ffs — Peuh-zho / Reu-no (accent on the second syllable — not Renn-o)

i always said pew-zho, thats what they say here as well, citroen is cit-roh-hen (hear it on the telly!!) but some of the french pronuniations of english words is hilarious!!

Also its a peugeot 'three hundred and seven' not a 3-0-7 FYI ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Sure Cizeta is pronounced 'chay-setta' and what a tenuous excuse to insert a picture or three!
    cizeta_logo3.gif
    cizeta-moroder-v16t01.jpg
    cizeta_moroder_v16t_7490.jpg

el tel wrote:
    Sure Cizeta is pronounced 'chay-setta' and what a tenuous excuse to insert a picture or three!

long live the 70's super car... :) ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Only if you say it in french.

trois cent sept.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

My missus is from France, she calls it the 1st one. Seeing as it's a French car i'd go with her on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Well, I know that the proper way to pronounce it is like Purr-show (like the way the Brits do. You hear them every week saying it like that on Top Gear and the like and I believe that actually is the right way to say it) but, personally, I've always pronounced it Pu-show or Pu-joe and I'm not about to change and go all posh, dammit! I'm proud of my culchie ways of pronouncing things! Sure, dat was deh the way I was rared! ;):D

I have always pronounced Renault the correct way, though (Ren-oh) as opposed to the way the likes of my father and uncles always have (Ren-ault). Must be a generational thing, I guess.

Okay, here's one for all ye now, though. What about the Subaru Impreza? I believe the proper pronounciation is Im-pret-za (like what the Brits do say) but I've always called it the Im-pray-za. I know my pronounciation is wrong but, for some reason, I just can't get out of the habit of calling it the Im-pray-za. I always have and always will. Just curious, does anybody else here call it the Im-pray-za?

testicle wrote:
    Only if you say it in french.

trois cent sept.
    thats what i meant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The english people you see on Top Gear etc. only pronounce it correctly because they don't roll their 'r's. If they rolled their 'r's they'd probaby pronounce it more like most Irish people.

By the by, most germans say 'Benz; or less frequently 'Daimler', never 'Merc' but sometimes Mercedes and Volkswagens are VW (pronounced fow-vay). Audi is as has been pointed out 'owdi' but is not German but Latin!

Here's the classic; Por-sheh or porsh??? :D

You pronounce the "e" in German so its Porscheh !

Its a complex business this car naming thing because the names dont always, or ever, conform to the rules of the English language. Regarding the Impreza, if were two "Z's" as in pizza then it would be Impretsa..............but there 'aint !

As has already been pointed out Peugeot is actually pronounced " pe gio" but if you listen to a French person saying that with their accent there does sound like there is an "R" in there. The English, trying to be correct, have takjen the easy way out and instead of contorting their tongues they just pronounce it as though there IS an "R" in it ! ( Make sense ?? :D )

As far as Mercedes goes, its originally a French name with both the grave and the accent on the "E" but that is now missing from the name. So the question is should we ask the Germans how to pronounce it or should we Anglicise it and pronounce all three "E's" the same way, making the name as short as possible ??

How about this one..............the famous, but defunct German mark long since associated with Audi (Owdi)............wait for it......

HORCH

Answers on a postcard, and a virtual tenner to the first one who get it right !

MercMad wrote:
    You pronounce the "e" in German so its Porscheh !

Its a complex business this car naming thing because the names dont always, or ever, conform to the rules of the English language. Regarding the Impreza, if were two "Z's" as in pizza then it would be Impretsa..............but there 'aint !

As has already been pointed out Peugeot is actually pronounced " pe gio" but if you listen to a French person saying that with their accent there does sound like there is an "R" in there. The English, trying to be correct, have takjen the easy way out and instead of contorting their tongues they just pronounce it as though there IS an "R" in it ! ( Make sense ?? :D )

As far as Mercedes goes, its originally a French name with both the grave and the accent on the "E" but that is now missing from the name. So the question is should we ask the Germans how to pronounce it or should we Anglicise it and pronounce all three "E's" the same way, making the name as short as possible ??

How about this one..............the famous, but defunct German mark long since associated with Audi (Owdi)............wait for it......

HORCH

Answers on a postcard, and a virtual tenner to the first one who get it right !

HORCH is pronounced as Horch (Hear in German) and as in the song that goes "Horch was kommt von draussen rein"

As far as car names go, anything is better than Pajero which is w@nker in Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

murphaph wrote:
    Audi is as has been pointed out 'owdi' but is not German but Latin!
    I never thought Audi was a name, rather an acronym for Auto Union Deutschland Ingolstadt. I also thought Mercedes was a Spanish name. You live & learn, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

How would ze Germans pronounce "BMW"?

Bay-Em-Vay? I've never done German so I don't know.

qz wrote:
    Bay-Em-Vay?
    I think so. Or "ein Stück Scheiße" - only joking Unkel.

I never thought Audi was a name, rather an acronym for Auto Union Deutschland Ingolstadt.
    A very common misconception-I used to think it was "Auto-Union something" too. It's actually the latin command to 'listen'-as has been mentioned the defunct 'Horch' brand was the surname nof the original founder but following a dispute with his business partner the company was dissolved and Horch was no longer allowed to use the name so his clever little doughter pointed out that 'Horch' as well as being a name is the german command to 'listen' (it's the same origin of the word 'Hark', as in 'hark now hear the angels sing) and so she suggested just using the latin command word for 'listen'-'Audi', and obviously that's where we get such words as Audio and Aural etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I'm afraid you are wrong. It is the 3-0-7.

The only car to suffer from a name change is the 1007 which is the one thousand and seven. They were sued by the James Bond owners saying they could not call it one double-oh seven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I say neither, I say merde

HORCH is pronounced as Horch (Hear in German) and as in the song that goes "Horch was kommt von draussen rein"

...........except it isn't a German name or word for that matter !

As murphaph correctly pointed out thye word Audi is derived from this name.

The correct original pronounciation is phonetically actually "Hoyka"......I believe !

AlanD wrote:
    The only car to suffer from a name change is the 1007
    Nope, the Porsche 901 never made it to the showrooms as Peugeot sued Porsche in a claim that they had established a brand by naming car models with a number followed by a zero followed by a number and Porsche lost the case and were forced to change the name, the car we know today as the 911 was the source of all the trouble.

MercMad wrote:
    ...........except it isn't a German name or word for that matter !

As murphaph correctly pointed out thye word Audi is derived from this name.

The correct original pronounciation is phonetically actually "Hoyka"......I believe !

Interesting!
    Horch, apart from being a German word, as
    murphaph correctly pointed out Horch is also a German name and the car is named after Herr August Horch (the subsequent founder of Audi). I conferred with my mother on this one (she's Swiss) and she reckons it would be pronounced simply 'Horch'.

The "Hoyka" pronounciation is interesting - I'd love to know why it's so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Absolutely ... it's the imperative form of the verb "horchen (auf)", "to listen (to)", and is pronounced exactly as it says on the tin. God know where this "hoyka" thing came from.

Interesting!
    Horch, apart from being a German word, as
    murphaph correctly pointed out Horch is also a German name and the car is named after Herr August Horch (the subsequent founder of Audi). I conferred with my mother on this one (she's Swiss) and she reckons it would be pronounced simply 'Horch'.

The "Hoyka" pronounciation is interesting - I'd love to know why it's so.

Well I will bow to your superior knowledge, both you guys, until I can verify my end !

However I was under the same impression as both you guys until I read the story and it convinced me at the time that it was true !

I dont remember where but definitely in a magazine I have at home. I'll have a look at home and keep "stum" until I can verify !

MercMad wrote:
    I dont remember where but definitely in a magazine I have at home. I'll have a look at home and keep "stum" until I can verify !

Cool!
    I've many books and mags on Lamborghini and authors and journalists are often explaining at length using half-arsed phonetics how to pronounce the names (e.g. Miura, Murcielago, Gallardo, Countach, Japla etc) and what they write is usually absolutely nothing like the way the people at the factory say it. (In my experience UK and US writers are the worst culprits owing to
    their general ignorance of foreign languages). In fact nearly always the car names are pronouced just as we would read them off the page ourselves.

AlanD wrote:
    I'm afraid you are wrong. It is the 3-0-7.

The only car to suffer from a name change is the 1007 which is the one thousand and seven. They were sued by the James Bond owners saying they could not call it one double-oh seven.
    its trois cent sept, deux cent six, where i am an,yway, maybe these french people have it wrong :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

el tel wrote:
    Cool!
    I've many books and mags on Lamborghini and authors and journalists are often explaining at length using half-arsed phonetics how to pronounce the names (e.g. Miura, Murcielago, Gallardo, Countach, Japla etc)
    Cool - so clue us in (i'll attempt with half-arsed phonetics :))

Murcielago - Mur-thi-el-aago?
    Miura, - Me-your-a
    Gallardo - Guy-ar-doh or gal-lar-do?
    Countach - Coon-tash?
    Japla - Jalpa

Advertisement