Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ata adapter skype

• 07-12-2005 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

can someone tell me is it possible to use an ip phone or ata with skype or do i have to use the usb phone - what i'm looking for is a way to make and receive calls when the pc is off- do i have to change to blueface or something - and if so - is there a provider that works as simply as skype - what i am doing is setting it up for a friend - and the idea is to set it up and try it out for free and then add bits to it when needed - with skype you can do this, adding skype out and in after trying out the basic service - also it only took me a few minutes to set up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I don't think there is. Skype isn't really VOIP it is a peer-to-peer network. It needs the computer on for the software it uses. Blueface is SIP VOIP so it can work with an ata as it is not propriatry like Skype.

I would imagine Blueface is every bit as easy as Skype and I would also imagine their support is far superior.

It is probably worth noting that Blueface and Skype will not communicate unless Skype-in is used. These calls won't be free though.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

gumboots wrote:
    can someone tell me is it possible to use an ip phone or ata with skype or do i have to use the usb phone - what i'm looking for is a way to make and receive calls when the pc is off- do i have to change to blueface or something - and if so - is there a provider that works as simply as skype - what i am doing is setting it up for a friend - and the idea is to set it up and try it out for free and then add bits to it when needed - with skype you can do this, adding skype out and in after trying out the basic service - also it only took me a few minutes to set up

I've got a skype usb to phone adapter. Basically, it plugs into the usb port on the PC, and into the phone socket on the wall. You then plug any telephone into it (corded or cordless). Any incoming skype calls are routed through the phone, and in order to make outgoing calls, you just dial normally for the standard landline, or put a * in front of the number to route through Skypeout. For your skype contacts, just assign a speed dial number, and dial this on the phone for for skype to skype calls. The quality is at least as good as with my headset.

TBH, I'm not really using it much, so I'll sell it of you're interested.

Ro

Ro-76 wrote:
    I've got a skype usb to phone adapter. Basically, it plugs into the usb port on the PC, and into the phone socket on the wall. You then plug any telephone into it (corded or cordless).

That's not really an ATA though, you still need to use your computer. An ATA is a stand alone device that you connect a phone to. You don't need a computer for an ATA just a BB connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I know. But as you ststed there are no Skype ATA adapters.

This is an alternative.

Ro-76 wrote:
    I know. But as you ststed there are no Skype ATA adapters.

This is an alternative.

True but I doubt it has any advantage over a USB phone which he already has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 twentyfive

gumboots wrote:

You can use JAJAH (WWW.JAJAH.COM),it's a webphone like skype with more features than skype and the same time in your case you can add your skype buddies into JAJAH and call them.
    Most important thing is you can use JAJAH ,even when your computer turned off using a sip phone ( like Cisco or Grandstream Budget Tone ):)

Advertisement