Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Servicing in Dublin

• 07-12-2005 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭

Can someone (other than a dealer!) let me know an 'honest and reliable' shop where I can get my Honda Bros serviced? In Dublin.

Please only recommend if it's through past experience... winter's not a good time to learn self-service and my tools are lacking. (By tools, I mean mechanical implements - and my brain)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Leo O'Reilly near the 'naller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

what are you geting done to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Is there not a basic service they do here?
    I guess the filters, oil change, plugs, and anything else that needs doing (chain tensioning etc...)

Or are you saying a Bros should never need one ;)
    madrab wrote:
    what are you geting done to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Chain tension is something you have to keep an eye on and adjust yourself, you can't leave it for months in between services.

Plugs should be ok if they were changed within the last 10,000 miles or so.

Oil and filter is very easy to do yourself, how long since it was done last? But more bikes get wrecked through low oil level than lack of oil changes, again this is something you have to keep an eye on yourself between services. Some bikes burn off a bit of oil, some don't.

I'd be more worried about brake pads and the like tbh.

I've had good experiences with Dennis in Ace Motorcycles (across the road from Mountjoy Motorcyles). Mountjoy are great for parts and accessories.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

alot of that stuff is quite easy to do yourself

apart from the front left sparkplug (lucifers sparkplug), its quite a pain to get out, i had to tak the tank, airfilter & loosen the rad to get at it grrrr

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice.
    I guess if we have a nice mild weekend like that last I'll be more inclined to give it a shot myself. A mate showed me how to take it all apart a few months ago so it shouldn't be too much of a chore... Are Mountjoy the best place for the filters?

Is there someone here with Bros chain tensioning experience? My old Virago was very easy to do, but I can't see the same system on the Bros.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

scorn wrote:
    Thanks for the advice.
    I guess if we have a nice mild weekend like that last I'll be more inclined to give it a shot myself. A mate showed me how to take it all apart a few months ago so it shouldn't be too much of a chore... Are Mountjoy the best place for the filters?

Is there someone here with Bros chain tensioning experience? My old Virago was very easy to do, but I can't see the same system on the Bros.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Will have to do this soon on my BROS. If you have the tools (namely the C spanner) then this link might have the information to help you out.

From what the guy who serviced the bike before for me said, it is easy to do but because it is single sided there is a "knack" to it.

I fitted a scottoiler to mine and that has already improved the wear rate on the chain.

L.

Thanks L (nereid) - that link is excellent (even though it's for the 650 the gist is the same). Fortunately my BROS has the original toolkit so I got the chain tensioned last night. Had to wear the gloves though...cold enough.

I'm buying the airfilter, oil filter, oil and plugs from Mountjoy tomorrow (thursday) and hope to get the job done on the weekend. Again, I'll be taking a look at that link you sent.

Another question to anyone reading this thread :
    My bike has started the odd backfire on startup - especially a warm start. Any ideas? Would the new plugs sort this out or is there potentially more to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

scorn wrote:
    Thanks L (nereid) - (even though it's for the 650 the gist is the same)....

Yeah, ive used it too. The bikes are very similar. In fact the 400, 600 (transalp) 650 (also transalp), and 750 (africa twin) are all the exact same. Rumour has it that you can drop any of these engines into any of the frames and it will bolt right in. (Nice if you want to put the 750 into the bros but not really if you put the 400 in the africa twin!!!).
    scorn wrote:
    Another question to anyone reading this thread :
    My bike has started the odd backfire on startup - especially a warm start. Any ideas? Would the new plugs sort this out or is there potentially more to it?

Is it when you have the choke out by any chance? Mine did that once recently when I started it with the choke on but I could never replicate it so I don't know if that was it or not.

The other thing to check is if the exhaust pipes are sealed at the cylinder head. If you can, try to locate where the backfire is coming from. I.e. is it definitely out the exhaust or could it be from one of the cylinders???
    My other bike has an awful lot of trouble with the exhaust pipe where it exits the cylinder. It is causing backfires if it is not seated correctly.

New plugs could sort it if there is incomplete burn in the cylinder so some unspent fuel is going out the exhaust. The bike is a twin spark which makes this less likely but you could check the ones that are in the bike at the moment. Compare them to this list and you should be able to tell if the plug is worn or if there is a problem in one of the cylinders.

L.

Once again, you're a mine of information.

I attempted the service on sunday but had to head to the hardware store to get a number 8 spanner. Thought the toolkit would have them all... and guess what thought did.

I got the sprocket cover off and spent the next hour trying to get the damn oil filter off - eventually had to use a nylon strap wrapped around it, twisted the ends, clamped with vice grips and levered it against itself. Then it started raining.

So I have new oil in the bike and oil filter fitted - now I have to wait till after Cristmas to get the air filter and plugs done. At least it will be quicker next time around.

Thanks again for the info - and yes, the bike has the odd backfire when the choke's out (only when I start it though) and sometimes when I start it again after a brief switch off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

JP's on Pearse St worth a look although might have to persuade them to take in a bike they haven't originally sold.

NDM in Santry get great reviews from serious bikers and Mountjoy motorcycles seem to have a decent rep for parts/service work. Also close to City Honda which *might* service a Bros for you if it's quiet.

Other than that check sig for a comprehensive resource list.

Advertisement