Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

skanger cars..

Options
  • 07-12-2005 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I was contemplating getting a Civic Coupe. Now i know that civics have always been the skangers weapon of choice, my brother told me regardless if its a good car , its a skanger mobile and wont do you any favours etc.

He reckons i should go for a 316 coupe instead of the civic, although its a much slower car , you wont attract as much attention from the guards and girls will look more favourabley at it.

But aside from that I just wanted to see what other cars people see as skanger mobiles?
    you know, the ones usually associated with "oim a bleedin rapeh droiver so i am"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

chalk and cheese the civic and the beamer. I would recommend the 316 for comfort and quality, but it depends on what you are after. the civic would be way faster off the line.

as far as your second question is concerned, it's a little pointless so I won't get into it

on the flip side the 316 sterotype will very shortly be the same.

The amount of cheap old beemers adopted by the modification crowd is increasing everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Starlet gt turbos,
    Lancers - any type
    Colt,
    impreza
    levin
    pulsar vzr
    Civic
    205, 306,

and any car with neons/headlight washer lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

No question - get the Civic coupe. They are wonderful cars, and if you can get the VTEC model you'll be in heaven. Unless of course you're more into having all the interior bells and whistles you'll get with a BMW.

I don't understand this whole skanger association thing with Civics, but perhaps that's because I live in "the country". Civics aren't really associated with knackers here, and I don't have any problems with owning one.

Buy the car you like best. Who cares what others think about it. But remember, Honda are the most reliable and have the best engines. An old BMW is going to be much higher maintenance, and more expensive to run. And it's more of a skanger car than a Civic these days anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭gearbox

Kersh wrote:
    Starlet gt turbos,
    Lancers - any type
    Colt,
    impreza
    levin
    pulsar vzr
    Civic
    205, 306,

id agree with the excess lights be it neon or other wise, i think the above cars should not be classed as skanger cars as they come out of the garage but as soon as you start modifying the above cars thats were id say it falls into the bad way of life, for example a 205 is nearly a classic car, a pulsar vzr is the quickest 1.6 production car EVER made and the new style civic looks brilliant all three ive mentioned look excellent before anybody starts putting induction kits etc on them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

what about a nissan micra.....oka unmarried mothers cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

You can insure a 95 bmw 320i coupe for about 500 less than a civic coupe 1.5. A 316 is way cheaper to insure and is more classy looking. comfortable car too. The guy who said the gards pay them less attention is dead right. I was driving a 320i for a while and every time there was a check point on the road when we'd be out drivin to a show or a rally or something, my civic driving friend would get pulled over and checked out by the gards for plates, tyres, noise etc and id usually be waved on past and id have to wait for him to catch up after he'd been hassled and fined or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Kersh wrote:
    Starlet gt turbos,
    Lancers - any type
    Colt,
    impreza
    levin
    pulsar vzr
    Civic
    205, 306,

i hate any car with Massive wings and neons and all that but each to their own... but some of the cars you have listed there are fine... i personally drive a hatchback car with a powerful engine, but the car is bog standard externaly.. the reason? i like paying small insurance on a small car.. but it has a nice engine.. at the same time im not into making it look like something its not.. so i left the outside standard.. and on the OTHER hand.. some of the Biggest Skangers i know drive BMW's.. so to be honest there is NO skanger car.. cos a skanger can drive anything...

When im going down the m50 , or any road really, minding my own business, and a car is travelling up my arese its usually one of the cars i listed above, and when i move over it pulls up alongside, does 'race you' gestures out the window, and speeds off.
    And its usually full of muppets. On the odd accasion its a 35+ in a 5 series bmw.

*my cars neither look slow ar are slow, which is why they tend to act like that. When im in the oul fellas jeep i dont get any grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Kersh wrote:
    When im going down the m50 , or any road really, minding my own business, and a car is travelling up my arese its usually one of the cars i listed above, and when i move over it pulls up alongside, does 'race you' gestures out the window, and speeds off.
    And its usually full of muppets. On the odd accasion its a 35+ in a 5 series bmw.

*my cars neither look slow ar are slow, which is why they tend to act like that. When im in the oul fellas jeep i dont get any grief.

Sounds like your one of those drivers that hogs the overtaking lane on motorways - stay in the left lane FFS

• Advertisement

Kersh wrote:

i know, i get the same too... but i have seen my fair share of carnage on the roads in 10 years of driving so i just pull over and leave them too it... i could whoop their arse but im not gonna risk my life and my girlfriends life over some muppet.. :eek:

Macker, i agree with you 100%.
    Xabi, you must be one of them idiots, pleb, hope you crash and burn. I never said anything about an outside lane....When i say move over, i pull into the other lane, whichever it may be. Anything to let them by and hope they die in a ball of fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Kersh wrote:
    Macker, i agree with you 100%.
    Xabi, you must be one of them idiots, pleb, hope you crash and burn. I never said anything about an outside lane....When i say move over, i pull into the other lane, whichever it may be. Anything to let them by and hope they die in a ball of fire.

Dont be getting childish on me now! Your mention of the M50 triggered flashback of my time in Dublin and how many incompetent drivers use that road - if you know how to use motorways, ignore the comment.

X.

Kersh wrote:
    die in a ball of fire.

haha i think i can remember quoting something like that to my boss one day..... :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

My insurance also went down when I moved from a 91 1.5 Civic to a 94 320i Coupe...

The Civic will only be a skanger like car if you go and make it look like one - chrome wheels/neons and other ****e. The Civic coupe is a lovely car imo - all generations of them, and they aren't a common sight compared to the H/B and saloon. I'd go for the Civic if your other option is a 316i - would go with the BMW if you can stretch to a 318is though.

kdevitt wrote:
    My insurance also went down when I moved from a 91 1.5 Civic to a 94 320i Coupe...

The Civic will only be a skanger like car if you go and make it look like one - chrome wheels/neons and other ****e. The Civic coupe is a lovely car imo - all generations of them, and they aren't a common sight compared to the H/B and saloon. I'd go for the Civic if your other option is a 316i - would go with the BMW if you can stretch to a 318is though.

yea the coupe is very nice, i was looking to buy one a few years ago, but there was a loading on the insurance so i went for a smaller car instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

This talk of civics being skanger cars ect is boooooooring at this stage.

The reason many young drivers have them is that there a quick car and imo nice looking,aftermarket parts can be gotten for them no problem even right up to turbo/super charger kits.

Personally i think 316i's are cars that youd buy to give the impression "look at me im cool i drive a bmw" where infact your just fooling yourself in a big overweight slow 1.6.

Your best bet is to go and drive both,if going for the civic look for one from the Uk and if you can get the insurance then take a vti.Some uk models come with leather interior and all the other bells and whistles,visually i think the coupes are a nicer looking car than the 316 and performance wise theres no comparison

Sorry if i was a bit short Xabi...;)
    But , hmmmm, the m50 is still like that... i hate them.... (lane hoggers that is)
    Nice to see you have good memories..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

eireal wrote:
    This talk of civics being skanger cars ect is boooooooring at this stage.

Agreed - however, the whole 'your just fooling yourself in a big overweight slow 1.6.' is every bit as boring. The 316i handles every bit as well as its bigger brothers, and drives superbly - a few of them were at the last trackday I took part in and were more than capable of keeping up with more powerful machinery.

Having been in a serious smash last October, I'd personally never drive a Honda again (unless it was a newer one where they took notice of safety) - they're fast because they're very lightweight.

They're both good cars, the UK is definitely the place to pick up either model though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Just from personal expierence driving 316/318i i found them too heavy and underpowered whereas you would kind of expect more from looking at them if you get me.

I suppose its down to the OP's taste aswell as there specific requirements but i wouldnt worry about attracting attention from the gaurds ect from the civic unless your driving in like a maniac

• Advertisement

Guys, some o fthis sh1t ye're posting here is terrible. You should never wish anyone to "crash and burn". I'v lost friends to crashes (and im sure some of you guys know people killed on roads too) and one of my best mates lost his mum when a truck blindsided her on a junction. Wishing accidents on people whether joking or not is really not on. Seriously, we should be beyond that if we're at an age where we can be out driving cars around. The roads are dangerous already without people carrying feelings like that around.
    Thats my rant over. I just found it aggrevating and upsetting that people would even joke like that.

I'm not saying im a saint, ive done, and still do some bad things on the roads but im just sayin...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've never been interested in getting a 4-cylinder car and pretend it is a performance car. You name it, a Honda Civic 1.4 (sad) or a BMW 316 (even sadder)

If you are really interested in cars, have patience! Drive a sh!te jap rice 1.0 mobile for a few years and build up your full no claims bonus while getting a bit older in the mean time as a bonus and then go for a real car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

unkel wrote:
    I've never been interested in getting a 4-cylinder car and pretend it is a performance car. You name it, a Honda Civic 1.4 (sad) or a BMW 316 (even sadder)

If you are really interested in cars, have patience! Drive a sh!te jap rice 1.0 mobile for a few years and build up your full no claims bonus while getting a bit older in the mean time as a bonus and then go for a real car :D

well , some evry decent performance cars are actually 4-cylinder engines eg. EVO's, Elises etc.

But anyway, by the time ill build up my no claims enought to insure the cars i Reeeally want to drive , id say petrol will be a fiver per liter and everybody will be driving those prius type thingies!!! ......who knows , maybe the cars i know and love today will be completley outlawed by the time Insurance companies decide not to rip us off!....but thats a different topic, lol

Ps. strange to see that u find a 316 sadder than a 1,4 civic!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:

We'll probably all have the pipe and slippers by then - S Class it is then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PlayaFlow wrote:
    by the time ill build up my no claims enought to insure the cars i Reeeally want to drive , id say petrol will be a fiver per liter and everybody will be driving those prius type thingies!!! ......who knows , maybe the cars i know and love today will be completley outlawed

LOL - let's hope not!
    PlayaFlow wrote:
    strange to see that u find a 316 sadder than a 1,4 civic!

Sorry meant tarted up / barrysboy version of both and in the case of the 316, with M-kit and what not :)
    bazz26 wrote:
    We'll probably all have the pipe and slippers by then - S Class it is then :D

*note to self - ask Santa for a pipe* :D

All this 316i versus civic stuff all started out from a few of us giving opinions to some girl on that thread where she wanted know about insuring a crx honda.
    Its suddenly as i we have to be either a 316i fanatic or a civic fanatic and to just bitch about the other car.
    I dont even drive a 316i for f*ck's sake, i was just saying that ive driven them before and theyre very comfortable cars and solidly built and they're performance is decent for a 1.6litre car whic is not a tuned up sports model like a civic sir or vti so comparison isnt very fair.
    They guy who was giving out and basically berating me for saying they were a good car didnt actually know what model i was talking about. I suggested an E30 316 or 318 2door which is the 87 to 91 model, which is not big and heavy. Everyone's gettin hung up on power. a first car'snot about power. its about whether you can get and insure a nice car that you like to drive.

Hey Con, she asked what other people thought skangermobiles were?
    Its in the last paragraph of the original post. So i put up a list.....

*Hey look, a thousand posts,

Kersh wrote:
    Hey Con, she asked what other people thought skangermobiles were?
    Its in the last paragraph of the original post. So i put up a list.....

*Hey look, a thousand posts,

hmm... interesting:o

Advertisement