Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car most likely to be crashed?

Options
  • 07-12-2005 3:53pm

I haven’t found any information on this.

For a given make and model of car, which has the highest percentage of being crashed / written off in its life time.

Some possibilities.
    • Fiestas and other small hatchbacks commonly are more used by first time drivers. Who are more likely to be involved in an accidents.
    • Sports cars, think Imprezas, Evos or GTi models. While few are sold, are these more likely to be driven at higher speeds and in a more aggressive manor than ordinary cars? Perhaps a higher percentage of them are crashed.

Anyone got ideas? Or answers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I find the most arrogant, dangerous and agressive drivers, in Dublin at least, to be middle managers in their E Class Mercs. They think that their cars are bulletproof so they will square up to smaller cars and expect them to back down.

What they don't think of is that if they hit do actually hit one of those cars or a pedestrian they will do serious damage to the other party. Their own car may not be damaged but they will have that on their conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭gearbox

id agree with the merc / bmw drivers they really think they own the road and when a small colt or ibiza for example gets in the way thats the end..... ive gotten the finger twice of bmw drivers in the past month cause they think they own the road

I was stopped in traffic on Clonskeagh Road last week. Two-thirds way across a driveway and this Merc pulls up to the gate. Two guys about mid 40s sitting there having a chat. Next thing the driver decides he is going to go in front of me as the traffic pulls off. He drives up the sidewalk to try and get his nose in front of my car. I just calmly signalled to the right as I pulled out a little bit to get past him.

He must have been showing off to his mate. At his age he should know better.

Ok just to be clear, I'm not talking about drivers of particular cars.

I'm wondering, which make of car is most likely to be written off. Due to mentality of the driver or the characteristics of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

these are the most likely cars to be crashed, obviously :D

bumper-cars.jpg

• Advertisement

el tel wrote:
    these are the most likely cars to be crashed, obviously :D
    Nice of you to read the whole thread before replying.

Keep that crap in after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I think I recall reading that supercars are most likely to be totalled (as opposed to just a little ding) because their owners don't know how to handle them. Can't remember the source - could have been Top Gear, may have been a dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭MikeHunt

Always funny when someone breaks up the thread with a bit of light-hearted humour and is given out to. Jayzus, take it easy.

Annnnnyway... I'd imagine this kind of survey would have been carried out in the UK in the past. I've definitely seen such things rating the safety of particular models, and how each one withstands a crash etc. etc.

Good question

MikeHunt wrote:
    Always funny when someone breaks up the thread with a bit of light-hearted humour and is given out to. Jayzus, take it easy.

Annnnnyway... I'd imagine this kind of survey would have been carried out in the UK in the past. I've definitely seen such things rating the safety of particular models, and how each one withstands a crash etc. etc.

Good question

The old saying, if you have nothing constructive to add..:)

I recall hearing that the older 206 GTis were very prone to crashing. Wether due to its handeling or the drivers temperment I am unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Landrovers*

* This is based on my own experience and is therefore not a sufficient sample size for scientific purposes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Calm down! I just tried a google but nothing came back. I guess the question is'nt easy to nail down exactly. The most crashed car is likely to be smallish and driven by a young male!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

mike65 wrote:
    The most crashed car is likely to be smallish and driven by a young male!
    :rolleyes:
    [cough]stereotyping for profit[/cough]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

ronoc wrote:
    Nice of you to read the whole thread before replying.

Keep that crap in after hours.

With all due respect Ronoc I did read the thread before replying.

I'm sure data that answers your questions are held by insurers.
    Anything else, i.e. *ideas* you are likely to come across via this thread
    are just going to be notional and anecdotal and probably therefore non-conclusive and valueless. With this in mind I thought that bumper cars would be as valid a response as anything else.

(jokes are never as funny when they have to be explained)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Oooooook,

most of the cars that come into the place where i work which are to repaired
    are corolla's, punto's these are the cars that come in the most, however a mercedes cl600 amg just came in today with bags out and crashed on the front, i think that the cars style has alot to do with it such as the corolla's have crap visabilty to the sides so alot of cars come in with damged doors and arches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Volvoboy wrote:
    i think that the cars style has alot to do with it such as the corolla's have crap visabilty to the sides so alot of cars come in with damged doors and arches.

Possibly also to do with the fact that theres just more of them than any other car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

No, i'd say that there are just as many toyota avensis's going around and there hardly ever in for repairs and alot of them are taxi's so there on the roads more. most corolla's that come in are the current model saloon and silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Can't believe no-one mentioned Civics. There's a lot of truth to the stereotype of young lads going out on a Saturday night and sticking the Civic in a ditch. AFAIK insurance companies tend to load Civics more than other similar sized cars such as Focuses, Golfs etc. Also just thinking back to fatal crash reports in the news I've seen over the past few years there were a disproportionate number of Hondas involved.

If you talk about less serious crashes (fender benders) then cars that are predominantly driven by young women probably suffer a lot :) 206s, Polos etc. Most of the women that I know seem to have a minor "incident" in the car every few months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BrianD3 wrote:
    Can't believe no-one mentioned Civics. There's a lot of truth to the stereotype of young lads going out on a Saturday night and sticking the Civic in a ditch. AFAIK insurance companies tend to load Civics more than other similar sized cars such as Focuses, Golfs etc. Also just thinking back to fatal crash reports in the news I've seen over the past few years there were a disproportionate number of Hondas involved.

If you talk about less serious crashes (fender benders) then cars that are predominantly driven by young women probably suffer a lot :) 206s, Polos etc. Most of the women that I know seem to have a minor "incident" in the car every few months or so.

Yes it maybe true that a number women or learner drivers may have small or minor tips on a regular basis in Micras, Polos and 206s but because they are usually relatively cheap to fix they rarely go through the insurance company so they probably don't become statistics.

I think also that a good few cars such as Preludes, Celicas or Golf GTis may have found themselves at the wrong side of ditch on a regular basis also.

Well i was only giving one example but I always see C class and E class mercedes being driven really agressively and dangerously around Dublin. Mostly C classes. I would say that guys in a mid-life crisis are worse than young drivers. In my area at least (D6, D4, D14).

Not so much with the BMWs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:

Yep your post makes perfect sense. Insurance companies charge premiums based on actuarial data - statistics, loike :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Just a slight change of theme, I wonder if colour affects the outcome.
    I do a lot of driving, and try not to make mistakes, however the odd gaffe is inevitable.
    I find if I pull out in in front of a car it's invariably silver, It's happened a number of times over a long driving career, always silver, odd.
    I think the landrover is possibly the most overturned vehicle, maybe not the most crashed, by percentage of units produced.

Black cars have the most accidents, Yellow cars the least.

Or so I read on the back of an AA Road Atlas once.

Advertisement