Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDowell's attack on Frank Connolly

Options
  • 07-12-2005 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Is this another nail in the coffin of Irish Justice? McDowell is getting used to abusing his position as Minister of Justice and here we have another example of his arrogance.
    What ever happened to the notion of innocent untill proven guilty?
    Disgusting behaviour,
    Shame on him!
    Is mise,
    Squaletto

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well McDowell has privilege (if that extends as far as written material) and has used it. There have been questions hanging over Connelly for a while now and I imagine the Minister was speaking on the back of information gathered from avrious police forces.

One might say he was kit flying but Frank is the brother of Niall (columbia 3) Connellly, Frank was one the staff of The Sunday Provisonal Post er Sunday Business Post, Frank is the Executive Director of the Centre for Public Inquiry which is funded by provo supporting billionaire Chuck Feeney so there might be something to it.

I doubt he'd say it just for fun.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SpittingImage

Why isn't MacDowell getting more back up, he seem to be fighting a lone war in the Dail against IRA/ Sinn Fein. Are parties afraid of ruining their chances with a possible coalition partner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think (didn't check all the details) that Herr Flick gave a written answer to a parliamentary question and is protected by priviledge. I consider Flick to be nothing but a boorish blueshirt most of the time and would encourage him to say this outside the priviledge envelope and we should see them all in Court in a year or two :D . Flick ,despite the thundering blueshirt routine, has not charged anyone with travelling on false Irish passports yet , if I did it I would be in court so why not Niall Connolly who IIRC had one in Columbia with his mugshot on it and all .

Nor did Flick deal with them when they resurfaced here in the summer.

If a person who was representing persons who travelled on British passports (while pretending to be more Irish than some of us) HIMSELF committed the same offence while representing their interests we are all entitled to the appropriate media circus.

One of them, Flick or Connolly , is due a comeuppance and I don't care whom .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

mike65 wrote:
    One might say he was kit flying but Frank is the brother of Niall (columbia 3) Connellly, Frank was one the staff of The Sunday Provisonal Post er Sunday Business Post, Frank is the Executive Director of the Centre for Public Inquiry which is funded by provo supporting billionaire Chuck Feeney so there might be something to it.

I doubt he'd say it just for fun.

Who gave the Sindo the police documents?

McDowell prefers his newspaper buddies on sIndependent(TM) Police Commisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I am glad at least someone in the Dail is calling a spade a spade. I for one don't want someone involved in selling methods of terrorism involved in public life scrutiny.

• Advertisement

The Centre of Public Inquiry has just been cut loose by its funders, Atlantic Philanthropies!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Why isn't MacDowell getting more back up, he seem to be fighting a lone war in the Dail against IRA/ Sinn Fein. Are parties afraid of ruining their chances with a possible coalition partner?

I reckon so, McDowell is throwing as much s**t as he can as SF and anything to do with 'republicans' in the hope it sticks, becasue SF will be a real challanger to the PDs pointion of power brokers in the next Dail.
    And I for one totally agree with him, I don't want to live in a state with a mafia organization in power.

The sooner the SF scumbags are shown for what they are (robbers, killers, extorianists) the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

The sooner the SF scumbags are shown for what they are (robbers, killers, extorianists) the better.
    When are you people going to get over it! On one hand the Unionists are being asked to go into government with SF but when it comes to government down south we get this "scumbags" garbage. There is an element of truth in that there were many unscrupulous characters in the IRA who were in it for personal gain rather than defending Catholic Communities (c.f. Slab Murphy) buy they are gone now so why can't you accept that. Many people would have viewed FF as scumbags after the civil war but when that ended people accepted them.
    And I for one totally agree with him, I don't want to live in a state with a mafia organization in power.
    Well if they get enough seats you might well end up in such a state. I personally dont like living in a state where the department of justice is run by the closest Ireland has to a fascist(imo) but I respect the madate of the PDs in the same way you will respect the mandate of Sinn Fein.
    I agree with the original poster, MacDowell has become very arrogant. Thinks he knows everything about everything. He should concentrate more on his own portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

It was interesting to hear him on the Radio at lunchtime. When informed about Atlantic Philanthropies removing their financial support, he said something along the lines of: "WHAT? That's RUBBISH!" But no...it was true. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Squaletto wrote:
    Is this another nail in the coffin of Irish Justice? McDowell is getting used to abusing his position as Minister of Justice and here we have another example of his arrogance.
    What ever happened to the notion of innocent untill proven guilty?
    Disgusting behaviour,
    Shame on him!
    Is mise,
    Squaletto

who? what? where? when? do we have to go find this information? Whats the point if we do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Squaletto

Nuttzz wrote:
    who? what? where? when? do we have to go find this information? Whats the point if we do?

Ciao Nuttz,
    Your point is pointless! Please contribute positively to the thread or just don't bother.
    What a waste of time!:confused:

I note your signature and it tells loads about your one sided views. McDowell would be proud of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

According to today's Irish Times -
    The board of Atlantic Philanthropies, Mr Feeney's charitable trust, withdrew funding at a meeting in New York on Tuesday, before Mr McDowell made his allegations after a Dáil question by Independent TD Finian McGrath.

(my italics)

So it looks like McDowell got wind of what was going on and decided to put the boot in himself.

Not surprised at the withdrawal of funding - Feeney is a great philanthropist but he's had the wool pulled over his eyes by Gerry & the Peacemakers for long enough. Up until quite recently Atlantic Philanthropies funded Sinn Fein's office in New York as well - I think funding was withdrawn after the whole Columbia 3 debacle - Sinn Fein have really tumbled from grace in official US circles since then.

Another quote from the same article -
    The Irish Times understands Mr Feeney offered last month to continue funding if Mr Connolly were replaced. However, the board, in discussions about media allegations concerning Mr Connolly, declared its confidence in him. As a result, Atlantic opted to terminate its €800,000-a-year funding.

That Centre for Public Inquiry could never be taken seriously with someone of the calibre of Frank Connolly at the helm. How could any organisation be regarded as neutral with the brother of a convicted IRA criminal (sorry, innocent bird-watcher travelling under a false passport) in charge? The fact that they were more willing to dispense of funding than dispense of his services says it all - they were nothing more than Sinn Fein/IRA apologists.

Squaletto wrote:
    Ciao Nuttz,
    Your point is pointless! Please contribute positively to the thread or just don't bother.
    What a waste of time!:confused:

I note your signature and it tells loads about your one sided views. McDowell would be proud of you!

No more worthless than your OP

Who is Frank Connolly?
    When did McDowell attack him?
    What did he say?
    Where did he say it?

All valid questions....

As for my sig well it is a shame that I want to see on the run convicted criminals returned to the country where they were convicted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

How could any organisation be regarded as neutral with the brother of a convicted IRA criminal (sorry, innocent bird-watcher travelling under a false passport) in charge?
    Jasus, wouldn't want to have a dodgy brother in McDowells Ireland?

Does anyone have a problem with McDowell's constant interference with due process? Surely this man has a right to defend himself from the position of innocent until proven guilty without having to suffer political character assisination on a national level? I mean I'm not sure he's even been charged with anything?

Surely as a minister for justice ya can't be making public political statements and referring to private documents related to cases that havent even been tried!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Resistance

Does anyone have a problem with McDowell's constant interference with due process?
    Ya
    Surely this man has a right to defend himself from the position of innocent until proven guilty without having to suffer political character assisination on a national level?
    Well said but in the Irish media your guilty until proven innocent. McDowell is only looking for political gain

Nuttzz wrote:
    No more worthless than your OP

Who is Frank Connolly? GO RESEARCH IT
    When did McDowell attack him? see above!
    What did he say? Is there an echo here?
    Where did he say it? Ahem...see above

All valid questions.... TRUE, go check them out man!

As for my sig well it is a shame that I want to see on the run convicted criminals returned to the country where they were convicted...

Convicted by whom? Secret court! Original conviction overturned by lack of evidence and blatant liars within the prosecution's range of dodgy witnesses! Get Real man!

why should I have to go research it? you came out ranting and raving about this "attack" you could at least provide some details of what it was in your OP, kinda the whole point of a discussion board....

Nuttzz wrote:
    why should I have to go research it? you came out ranting and raving about this "attack" you could at least provide some details of what it was in your OP, kinda the whole point of a discussion board....

If you cleaned out the wax from your ears and removed the blinkers from your eyes you would have noticed that the McDowell/Connelly matter is in the public domain.

By that I mean it is everywhere, on TV, on the Radio, in all the newspapers, in conversations that go on in your local. I mean one would really have to be either deaf, blind and dumb in order NOT to know anything about the whole affair.

I suspect you are none of the above although your signature would leave questions about the definition of what ignornance is.

May I suggest you go visit a local library where you will find the section named NEWSPAPERS. The assistants will give you all the help you need and from personal experience, they do a great job.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

I was wondering was this story discussed on the tonight show with vincent brownes on tuesday night? There doesnt seem to be link to that show (6th of december) available on the rte page http://www.rte.ie/radio1/story/1063100.html and I was wondering was this due to it being discussed there. Vincent Browne has previously brought this issue up in The Village magazine. Anyone hear the show, or have a link to it? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

McDowell has put another boot into the justice system in Ireland. Totally abusing his position in the Dail to try and discredit Connolly and by extension the group which he is offended by - the Centre for Public Inquiry. Will McDowell have the balls to repeat his statement outside the Dail? Nah, didn't think so.

• Advertisement

Squaletto wrote:
    If you cleaned out the wax from your ears and removed the blinkers from your eyes you would have noticed that the McDowell/Connelly matter is in the public domain.

I know its in the public domain, but if you want to start a discussion on a discussion board you normally give people the details of what you talking about
    Squaletto wrote:
    By that I mean it is everywhere, on TV, on the Radio, in all the newspapers, in conversations that go on in your local. I mean one would really have to be either deaf, blind and dumb in order NOT to know anything about the whole affair.

In the last few days its been the budget most of the media have been talking about, in the local we tend to talk about (and to) the blonde at the bar...different priorities i'd say...
    Squaletto wrote:
    I suspect you are none of the above although your signature would leave questions about the definition of what ignornance is.

So if someone disagrees with your point of view that makes them ignorant?

Squaletto wrote:
    May I suggest you go visit a local library where you will find the section named NEWSPAPERS. The assistants will give you all the help you need and from personal experience, they do a great job.:)
    You're right they do a great job indeed...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can someone confirm that the DPP has decided not to take action against Connolly as there is insufficient evidence against him.
    If this is the case, what evidence does McDowell have that the DPP doesn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

kbannon wrote:
    Can someone confirm that the DPP has decided not to take action against Connolly as there is insufficient evidence against him.
    If this is the case, what evidence does McDowell have that the DPP doesn't?

This is the weird bit. From McDowells assertation there is evidence that there was issued , in 2000, a false passport with a dodgy name but with a photo that obviously looks awfully like Frank. The Dept of Foreign affairs have a copy of this photo.

McDowell asserted that this passport was used in Columbia and by Frank whose mugshot is on it

Why has Frank not been charged over this false passport (his brother had another but they nicked him and passport and all, again no charges ) ??

Very odd.

Nuttzz wrote:
    I know its in the public domain, but if you want to start a discussion on a discussion board you normally give people the details of what you talking about

If you knew it was in the public domain then you would have known who Frank Connolly was and the connection to McDowell!!

In the last few days its been the budget most of the media have been talking about, in the local we tend to talk about (and to) the blonde at the bar...different priorities i'd say...
    Fair enough! But the McDowell-Connolly was also very topical, maybe the blond at the bar would like to find out what an arrogant spiteful bollox McDowell really is? Ever thought of that?

So if someone disagrees with your point of view that makes them ignorant?

No I don't believe that, merely pointing out that if a person chooses to ignore all fonts of knowledge available to them they might be thought of as being IGNORANT of the specific knowledge available in the immediate environment of that person. That's all.

Just because you appear to be ignornant doesn't mean that you are Ignorant!!

You're right they do a great job indeed...

Thanks, nice to see you coming round to my line of thinking.
    ciao

Squalletto

You are threading on very thin ice there.

The mercury is tilting up on the thermometer and that ice might soon break.

Do not continue with the tone that you are taking with posters or you will be banned.

Earthman if it appears that I am using a certain tone which may offend then I apologise.
    I don't mean to offend but I do intend to defend myself when other posters try to put words in my mouth! That's all!!!

Squaletto wrote:
    I don't mean to offend but I do intend to defend myself when other posters try to put words in my mouth! That's all!!!

I didnt put words in your mouth, I merely asked you what it was all about....
    Squaletto wrote:
    maybe the blond at the bar would like to find out what an arrogant spiteful bollox McDowell really is? Ever thought of that?

mmm probably not the best chat up line there though....

Ok Nuttzz, I agree with you on the chat up line. Please accept my apology if I offended you, I am not the type to go round upsetting people, life's too short for that craic!

It's just sometimes people get frustrated at the lack of concern when an injustice seems to be done to the nationalist side, the other side often take the moral high ground and are good at preaching. Take the NI Bank heist for example. Again there is suspicion amongst the nationalists as PSNI cannot be trusted. I say this not to piss you guys off but it is a hard fact, that's all, nothing else.

If that carry on goes on and on will we ever see the good side of politics in action in the troubled part of your island? Water rates being decided by officials who live in Britain, councils cut, all stuff that could be decided by the people who live in NI but due to the downfall of the institutions, cannot be dealt with by the people of the north!

It is a sorry state of affairs and I wish you guys could work it out together instead of going at each other.
    Time will tell.
    ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

McDowell has put another boot into the justice system in Ireland.

Well at least he left the sticks, iron pipes, barbed wire, kneecappings and padre pios out of it unlike SFIRA. I imagine that doesnt affect people living in the mainland UK all that much though.
    Surely as a minister for justice ya can't be making public political statements and referring to private documents related to cases that havent even been tried!!

He was asked a question and answered it based on the intelligence available to him. TBH, McDowell is a hero and true patriot defending the institutions of the republic from mafia scum who refuse to even refer to this country by its proper name. McDowell or the people who planned and carried out atrocities like Warrington? Not a tough choice tbh.
    It's just sometimes people get frustrated at the lack of concern when an injustice seems to be done to the nationalist side, the other side often take the moral high ground and are good at preaching. Take the NI Bank heist for example. Again there is suspicion amongst the nationalists as PSNI cannot be trusted. I say this not to piss you guys off but it is a hard fact, that's all, nothing else.

Please, get off the high horse. SFIRA are blatantly displaying their hypocrisy on the OTR issue. Apparently only provo scum should qualify, scum in the British security forces shouldnt. Is it that SFIRA expect higher standards from their scum or from the security forces? As for the PSNI, SFIRA continuosly remind us of the need to "move on" and the need for "dialogue" but they cant get over joining the policing board. They need to take their own medicine before preaching to anyone else.
    If that carry on goes on and on will we ever see the good side of politics in action in the troubled part of your island?

When youre ready to vote for your local Mafia candidate then youll be in a position to advise Irish people to vote for SFIRA. Until then youre treating every Irish person with contempt, arguing they deserve less from their public representitives than you do.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    The mercury is tilting up on the thermometer and that ice might soon break.

! ;)

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement