Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The more owners a car has does it reduce the price

Options
  • 07-12-2005 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

Folks,

If a 01 car has had 3 previous owners of a car should be less than say 1 owner of a car???

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Probably as more owners than a similar model indicates trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I would of said so ya
    Trampas wrote:
    Folks,

If a 01 car has had 3 previous owners of a car should be less than say 1 owner of a car???

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Probably as more owners than a similar model indicates trouble.

Yes,

I would be asking why the car has changed hands so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes and no. It's a major factor in determining the price of a vehicle certainly. If a car has had three owners, you stand a greater chance of one of those three people having driven the crap out of the vehicle, leaving behind a surprise that you'll have to fix down the line.

That said, it's possible to have a vehicle with three careful owners, just like it's possible for the one previous owner to have wrecked the vehicle.

Plus, as prospect points out, if you have a small car that's changed hands a few times, it's likely to have been owned by learners who learned in the vehicle, then upgraded. If it's a small car with one owner, you're more likely to have a granny or experienced female driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I'd buy a car with a few owners and a full service fistory, over one owner with a broken service history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

For example a new car is leased out to a rental company or it is a demo registered by the dealer. These are usually sold on by the dealer after only 3 or 6 months. Then the second owner usually only keeps the car for two years so after only 2 years the car will be looking at it's third owner.

This can be the case with alot of main stream models so it doesn't always mean that the car has a history of trouble.

But to answer your question yes it probably would affect the price as usually dealers like to tell potential buyers "one careful lady owner from new" cars.

Personnally I would judge each car on it's own merits, get it checked out by a trusted qualified mechanic, check the service history and make sure you get a warranty also.

Advertisement