Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foil insulations

Options
  • 07-12-2005 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Further to all our recent discussions about foil insulation products. Here is another one I've found Thinsulex. Anyone used it? Here's the brochure and a report on lab tests on foils from Manchester Uni.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

Hi Builderwoman

As you know from our previous conversations, I'm undecided on foil insulations - I want them to be what they claim to be, but I want to see the proof first.

And to be honest, that report doesn't do anything to convince me.

It's a very amateur and flawed report. I might have been proud of it 14 years ago when in my first year in university, but it doesn't cut it at a professional level. It looks like the experiments were done by a student, and the tutor put his name to the report, which would not be an uncommon practice.

If I was doing those tests they would raise more questions than answers, and I would end up doing lots of more different tests to verify my results and attempt to answer those questions. This is especially the case since the results conflict with other reports, and with accepted benchmarks, for example, for the performance of fibreglass.

But as they were asked (and I presume paid) to do the report, and as they got the results they were looking for (i.e. that foils were better than any other insulation, and that their foil was better than any other foil) they left it at that.

Furthermore, I have lots of issues with the methodology of the test. There are also lots of questions I'd have about the analysis of the test results, and any statistical techniques to establish their accuracy and repeatibility.

D+
    Must try harder
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Appreciate your analysis. Thanks Patrido.

Advertisement