Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux That Works With Ripwave?

• 07-12-2005 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Hi any of you any experience using linux distro that worked with Ripwave or recognises your ethernet card straight out of the box or with easy tinkering? I was able to get MandrakeMove (old Live CD fro PC-Live) to work but my screen fonts were a little fuzzy. Couldn't get Ubuntu 5.1 Live to recognise my nic though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

What ethernet card are you using? Wireless perhaps?

I havn't had a problem with a wired network card since '98 using any distro. (Intel/3com/broadcom/dlink/smc etc worked out of the box with tulip drivers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ressem wrote:
    What ethernet card are you using? Wireless perhaps?

I havn't had a problem with a wired network card since '98 using any distro. (Intel/3com/broadcom/dlink/smc etc worked out of the box with tulip drivers)

I have to second this, i havent yet found a card that does not have support, including Gb cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Its a: Via Rhine II Fast Ethernet adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Unlucky.

One of the
    "South Bridge integrated VT8231, VT8233, VT8235 & VT8237 (Rhine & Rhine II)?"

There's source and binary drivers for some of the large distros at
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2&Type=3

It may be in opensuse, will check back later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Finally got around to checking it out and its a Rhine II VT6102 Rev-74 if that means anything to you. Lindows... eh I mean Linspire 5-0 seems to have no trouble with it, actually using it to access Boards and write this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

I had one of these and it needed a module option to make it work.
    Something with 'mii' in it.
    Sorry, I don't have the board anymore.

Check what kernel linspire is using. Any chance it's a 2.4 kernel,
    and the others you're trying are 2.6 ? It's possible the default
    option has been reversed.
    I'm almost certain mine was working on a 2.4 kernel only.
    I haven't found the 2.6 series very stable in quite a few areas to be honest. I use ISDN for access, and the 2.6 support is painful.

NiallB

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i have a via rhine adapter with no problems with various linuxes for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Red Alert wrote:
    i have a via rhine adapter with no problems with various linuxes for a while.

The same.

Advertisement