Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update On Atm Skimming In Galway City

Options
  • 07-12-2005 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Hi all..... just been talking to a girl here who's sister works in Bank of
    Ireland. Apparantly, they discovered yesterday that Galway is rampant with
    these scanners. The Eyre Sq branch yesterday had distraught people coming
    in every few minutes. They are advising now that we don't use any ATM
    machines accross the city except those situated inside bank branches and
    where possible get your money by 'cash back' with laser. Machines located
    in shops out the country have also been targeted big time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Geez, scarey stuff! Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You will never take me alive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

alibabba wrote:

Actually Bank of Ireland have issued no such advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

alibabba wrote:

Funny how all these people found out about it on the same day.

Sounds like ****e to me.

But but... who are we to believe?!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

simu wrote:
    But but... who are we to believe?!!!!

I'd say we should definitely believe the person whose friend's sister works in the Bank of Ireland.

Just kinda like my cousin's best friend's brother who went to a party once in America and was given loads of free booze and then woke up in a bath of ice and his kidney had been taken.

Just kinda like my cousin's best friend's brother who went to a party once in America and was given loads of free booze and then woke up in a bath of ice and his kidney had been taken.

Oh jeepers. That's Amerikay for ya, hi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No one ever answers this question. Does the bank cover your loss? Because I always cover my pin when entering, and am very careful. I can hardly imagine a senario where getting ripped off would be through my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

even if the op is telling fibs, people should be cautious anyway. They can take my money if they want, all €8 of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

I blame these new-fangled ATMs. The old-fashioned UTM was much more secure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

AIB in Galway are ultra twitchy as well, SWMBO got me to tap the max out of a DrinkLink yesterday morning , AIB rang me at lunchtime to confirm it was kosher (1st time they ever rang to check )

BoI had a customer in Galway whose account was cleaned out after a skimming machine was attached to an ATM in Newcastle/Westside this week.

The skimming device is attached in front of the real card slot and captures the data off the strip on the 'way in' see this example. There is a camera abouts as well. Do not try to remove a skimmer unless you want to discuss the weather shortly afterwards witha gang of very pleasant Romanians who will be within 200m of 'their machine' .

If you card is in before you notice then enter a wrong pin and cancel the transaction .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

@SpongeBob - linkie no workie ^^

Seven Worlds will Collide

You are never safe....even in our lovely village of Oranmore there was scandal with regards to this sort of thing a very short while ago.

In the paper today, they did indeed confirm rising reports of atm scams - but not remotely in the numbers the OP made it out to be! I always cover my hand when entering my pin - what more can I do really.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I cunningly avoid being maced by a skimmer by being broke. It's a recent tactic but by Jove, it's working.

In an related note, Will Drop Pants For Money.

You are never safe....even in our lovely village of Oranmore there was scandal with regards to this sort of thing a very short while ago.

Whereabouts MobileI ? I visit your lovely village regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Whereabouts MobileI ? I visit your lovely village regularly.

The BOI ATM beside S'macs. Good bit of cash taken.. etc etc...

I'm more of a frequenter of the Shopping centre ATM... near ripped off the keypad today searching for dodgy hardware... woman behind muttered in disapproval. I however pocketed my cash and scuttled off into the rain... my fiery locks ablaze!

Thanks RHG I missed the reply until now.
    I've used the one at the shopping centre ok - warily too !

Never in Supermac's in Oranmore,tried the other chipper up the street,not too bad, traditonal big chips

Never in Supermac's in Oranmore,tried the other chipper up the street,not too bad, traditonal big chips

My friend found a fly in his sausage. And I can verify that.

My girlfriend found a fly in her Kebab.

That place is a ****hole, no joke, half the time they never use gloves when actually making the stuff, and they'd be doing all different jobs and swapping back and forth. And they seem to have a fly problem :D

LOL was waiting for that,actually literally only had one bag of chips out of it.
    Thanks for the advice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My sister recently got a phonecall from her bank who informed her that they were contacting people who used the ATM at the Oran Town centre because they found a skimmer in it. She also got a call from her other bank in Athenry regarding the same thing on her other account. Fortunately she was ok but she knows several people who had large sums taken, One person had 3500 taken.

A woman had been using the ATM at the Oran Town Centre and apparently the skimmer thing became dislodged when she was removing her card. Suddenly a bloke jumped out of a nearby car and started attacking her but she was able to hold onto the skimmer and the security man who was nearby restrained the bloke until he was arrested. I've heard ads on national radio advising people about it.

Between that, fake cash and credit card scams it's getting more risky handling your finances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Barter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Actually Bank of Ireland have issued no such advice.

If its a case YOU work in Bank of Ireland, get all of your facts correct before making the above statement. BOI might not be publically issuing such advise, but when I rang the bank in eyre square, the DID issue this advise to me. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Funny how all these people found out about it on the same day.

Sounds like ****e to me.

There must be something wrong with your hearing so !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

deisemum wrote:
    One person had 3500 taken.

at one time? I thought 990 was the largest sum from a pass machine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It was on the Keith Finnegan show this morning.
    There are 6/7 people(minimum) per day reporting to the banks in galway alone, that funds in their accounts have gone missing. They had some lady on from the bank..

If those people notice it on monday, imagine how many people had used the same machine but won't notice the transactions until a week later or until they get a call from their branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

at one time? I thought 990 was the largest sum from a pass machine?

She had a number of transactions taken from her account over a couple of days and the withdrawls occured in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

ATM in Joyces Knocknacarra has been the latest one to be hit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I understand that the recent ones in Galway were all BoI and Ulster machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Laser tbh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

So isn't there anything the banks can do to stop this kinda fraud? Some sort of device to put on the atm face that prevent scammers from putting anything on top of it? More cctv?

I mean, this sort of scam has been around for a good while - they MUST have some sort of idea on how to prevent it...Cause it must cost the banks a fortune as well, reimbursing all those people...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement