Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update On Atm Skimming In Galway City

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

galah wrote:
    Cause it must cost the banks a fortune as well, reimbursing all those people...

I don't think they do reimburs people money.Has anyone got a confirmation that the bank does reimburs if you get scammed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

timeout wrote:
    I don't think they do reimburs people money.Has anyone got a confirmation that the bank does reimburs if you get scammed?

I really don't see how they could NOT reimburse you. Say I always cover my hand when entering my pin, and use centrally located ATMs, the only one in fact that is close to me while at work, if someone STILL rips me off, what can they say? Don't draw out money anymore?

Someone MUST now if they reimburse you or not! I'd imagine they have to investigate each case as comes - very time consuming....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I've heard that it's people's kids who know the PIN and take money out when they're not looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

Say I always cover my hand when entering my pin....
    thats all anyone needs to do. as long as the guy with binoculars/the hidden camera/the darkie behind you cant see its all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I saw a programme on British TV some months ago and covering your hand doesn't work! Someone video records you using the ATM and then replays the video at slow motion to work out your PIN. I saw the guy on the programme actually demonstrating this.

They can only do that if they can work out which button you press. That's easy to avoid too. I takethe card out of my wallet, and cover my whole hand with it. It's a standard keypad, you know where every digit is placed, and the 5 usually has a dimple to help you. Use every finger to press it, not jsut your index.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

wet-paint wrote:
    They can only do that if they can work out which button you press. That's easy to avoid too. I takethe card out of my wallet, and cover my whole hand with it. It's a standard keypad, you know where every digit is placed, and the 5 usually has a dimple to help you. Use every finger to press it, not jsut your index.

Aye, but the keys have a [strike]shi[/strike][strike]tty[/strike] poor depress action, can't touch-type with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

7AM this morning, ATM skimming device was discovered on ATM Loughrea BOI. Along with the culprits who were standing by on foot and in a darkened window car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

alibabba wrote:
    7AM this morning, ATM skimming device was discovered on ATM Loughrea BOI. Along with the culprits who were standing by on foot and in a darkened window car

:eek: Yikes, where did you hear that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

the atm at duggans in renmore was tapped a few weeks ago also,i have refused point blank to withdraw cash from an atm,
    banks should refund you as they surely have some means of recording a trend or pattern as to how much on average you withdraw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

:eek: Yikes, where did you hear that from?

I didnt hear about it, I experienced it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

banks should refund you as they surely have some means of recording a trend or pattern as to how much on average you withdraw

I made 2 withdrawals = 2 x My max before and after midnight one day before christmas and got a phone call from my branch in the afternoon at 2pm, they were very on the ball I thought . They can spot a pattern very fast if they try.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement