Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a banklink card in America

Options
  • 07-12-2005 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Whats the deal with this? I have an AIB Maestro/Banklink card, can I use it in ATMs in Florida? Does anyone know what the charges would be? Do you think places over ther would accept it as a debit card? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

they wont accept them as debt cards but you can use them in atms if they have cirrus and or maestro on the back of them, and you use a compatible ATM in the US. most of their atms take cirrus if memory serves me correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Yep your ATM card will work but charges are hefty enough, minumum of $3 and maximum of $11 depending on how much you take out, but this is figures for BOI so not 100% sure of AIB..

Best idea is to use your VISA..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

if you transfer the money onto you creditcard you wont pay any charges to take it out from an atm , just the $2-$3 that the us banks charge.
    If you use a mastercard over there to make a purchase it will cost you 2.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

What! Just for MasterCard not for Visa? I would just happen to have a MasterCard. :rolleyes:

Not sure about visa i dont use it, but i guess its the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Get a Switcher Current A/C with PTSB. Theres no charge for withdrawals from foreign ATMS using the Card. Can be used in any ATM with CIRRUS/MAESTRO Logos

Will it be hard to find atms over there with cirrus/maestro logos? I dont know whether to withdraw cash using my banklink card or stick the funds on the credit card and use that.

kazzer wrote:
    Will it be hard to find atms over there with cirrus/maestro logos? I dont know whether to withdraw cash using my banklink card or stick the funds on the credit card and use that.

Nearly all of them have it. Using your ATM card is very expensive just load it on you credit card and take it out of the ATM thats what i allways do.
    Get a Switcher Current A/C with PTSB. Theres no charge for withdrawals from foreign ATMS using the Card. Can be used in any ATM with CIRRUS/MAESTRO Logos

The PSTB wont charge you but the US banks will , its not that much only a few dollers per transaction

Cheers guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i have to say i never found that i was charged exessively for using my laser card in atms in the states

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

been there recently,the american banks charge minimum $3.00 per transaction (some even charged more) thats in addition to whatever your bank will charge you here.i found the credit card worked the best when i was there

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

and it takes forever, over and back to Ireland, standing there like a fool in the Empire States Building... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

GreeBo wrote:
    and it takes forever, over and back to Ireland, standing there like a fool in the Empire States Building... :)

i didnt notice any difference than an atm here speed wise tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

irishguy wrote:
    if you transfer the money onto you creditcard you wont pay any charges to take it out from an atm , just the $2-$3 that the us banks charge.

2.5% everytime you use your mastercard to purchase something??? Are you sure of this??

Edit: Just checked out the BOI website and it says
    "1.75% cross border handling fee is charged per foreign currency Credit Card transaction outside the euro zone"

shepthedog wrote:
    2.5% everytime you use your mastercard to purchase something??? Are you sure of this??

Edit: Just checked out the BOI website and it says
    "1.75% cross border handling fee is charged per foreign currency Credit Card transaction outside the euro zone"

sure we wont fight over 0.75%

Advertisement