Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which webserver and database to use??

Options
  • 07-12-2005 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

i think this is the right place to ask this question. its more for developers and programmers.

which webserver and database are best for running java applets and apps??
    my site will only be run over a lan, not published to web.

at the moment i have a Win2k, running IIS, and an access 2002 database.

but for the past few days i've been trying to get the applet to connect to that database with no luck. i've tried editting policy files and creating cert for a signed applet but not even close to working.

i've read on forums (mostly the sun forums), that using an SQL database and Oracle or Tomcat, that i can bypass the signed applet problem by using the http protocols to connect to the database. this apparently means not using the system resources which applets are prohibited from doing.

anybody help on this would be really appreciated,

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Webserver isn't all that important when using Java applets. In theory, they're supposed to be 100% client-side; The webserver simply serves it, just like any other page or image. Tomcat is a webserver mainly designed for running JSP - JSP is Java programming, but should never be confused with Applets.

In terms of databases, you've found the biggest drawback of MS Access; It has to be ODBC to get server/client functionality out of it. Of course, since ODBC is a local service supplied on the machine, the Java applet is not permitted to access it.

Any Database that runs as a standalone server will suffice; MySQL, PostGreSQL, MSSQL, Oracle, etc etc. You don't even need to install them on a separate machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Like seamus says, applets don't need a webserver, although my recommended webserver is Apache if you don't need SSL, and IBM HTTP Server if you do (its free too).

Of seamus's choice of DBs, I recommend Postgres if you're doing lightweight implementation, because its very easy to back up. For something heavy/serious, you could try MySQL but DB2/Oracle are good too if you have money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 VanStrummer

at the moment its only a little login applet which checks two strings against whats stored in the database. but i'll be expanding the website to handle large amounts of data being stored and retreived from a database. most likely i'll be using php to do this. that will be fun to learn!!!!!!

does IIS have any serious limitiations??

i downloaded MySql 5 and Connector/J 3.1 to get me started. Installing MySql and creating the database if fine. The connector is another story, at the moment i'm just developing the app on my local machine. what files do i need from the Connector/J 3.1 zip file and where on my machine do i need to place these files?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The JDBC Connector library needs to be bundled with the applet afaik. You'll probably have to google it.

If you're happy with IIS and it's served you well thus far, I see no reason to switch, unless you're interested in getting to know other webservers.

Advertisement